IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Darthdc

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Darthdc »

Already planning on getting Cities of Gold (HMV exclusive). But finally, the most celebrated 80's show albeit MOTU and Thundercats to get a DVD release!Which channel is gonna show it?
May the Force be with you!
Crash

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Crash »

(Happosai @ Mar. 05 2008,06:15)QUOTEI'd still like to see a fansub of the original Japanese version, just to find out what differences there are between that and the English adaptation.I think Star Fleet got quite mangled in translation for the US/UK release. Lots of things like weapons and things about how the ship worked were changed.One example was the ship's main guns (that originally fired an advanced version of napalm and were changed in the dialogue to make it more PC, somehow).I doubt it would be that difficult to produce a fansub of Star Fleet. Any bunch of idiots seems able to manage it, even if they just completely make up the translations (ie.: Nyoron~N).
Dream big and bold and daring.
Darthdc

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Darthdc »

I hope they release the entire series and not just the 24 episode US version.GGGRRR, can't wait for further details!
AndyThomas

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by AndyThomas »

(Darthdc @ Mar. 19 2008,08:58)QUOTEI hope they release the entire series and not just the 24 episode US version.GGGRRR, can't wait for further details! I don't think they're planning on releasing all of the series in the true sense - Enoki themselves would only have had access to the 24 episode UK version (the US version being something else again, really). The rights for the Japanese version will be elsewhere - with the company who released the Japanese version DVD over there.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Crash »

I don't follow - I've seen 24 episodes of Star Fleet. As far as I know there is one other episode, which is just a second recap episode with about a mere 3 minutes of new footage.What is there in addition to that?

Shane

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Shane »

What's out there:X Bomber (Japan) - 25 Full Episodes. Episode 18 was the 3rd Flashback show and only features 7 minutes of new material.Bomber X (France) - same as above; music and sound effects are the same but with an all new French voice dub, The opening and Ending title sequences are Brand new though, with different music.X Bomber (Italy) - As Japanese series, but with Italian voice dub.Star Fleet (UK) - Only 24 episodes of the X Bomber source material used, Episode 18 was cut! All new soundtrack created for the UK version.Star Fleet (US) - The 24 Episodes of the UK version were cut together, losing certain scenes and most of the "coming next week" segments, to make 8 movies for video release only.That's the core stuff, there's obviously the UK video releases, and the show was probably shown in other countries using the X Bomber series as the master with each countries own voice dub laid on top.The major selling point of this new DVD release is that it's going to contain the 24 UK Star Fleet episodes, uncut, just as they were originally shown on tv, and not the 24 episodes cut and turned into 8 movies for the US video market, which is the only version available at the moment via bootleg DVDs on ebay.I've got off air video recordings of the entire show, but it would be great to have all 24 episodes uncut (And hopefully remastered.) on DVD.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Crash »

Ahh I see. Well that's a big improvement over the videos. They didn't fit together at all into long episodes. You really felt they were trying to put a square peg in a round hole. PLus we get all the great bits that they just decided to forget.I don't see the loss of 7 minutes of footage as being a major loss though although it would be nice to have the complete set.(hopefully remastered? -I think it'll be imperially remastered).
Darthdc

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Darthdc »

So I stand corrected. I hope along with the majority that the series is remastered. After this wait, we deserve it.
Dr. Ben

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Dr. Ben »

Agreed!!!
AndyThomas

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by AndyThomas »

I believe it will be remastered to some degree, given the age of the masters. If I can clean up video to some degree on my laptop, then I'm sure Fabulous Films can manage something a little more sophisticated!Incidentally, I have read elsewhere of there being a "zeroth" episode - making 26 episodes in total. Some sort of trailer perhaps? I've not seen it, but some sites like the Anime Encylopedia do reference it.http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo....page=25
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator