Help shape the Star Fleet DVD

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Dr. Ben

Post by Dr. Ben »

A soundtrack?!? My gosh what a great universe!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

(jack18 @ Dec. 17 2008,17:11)QUOTEhave just been onto the DVD times website and they've got the release date for star fleet as the 9th february. someone please tell me that is the right date or whether the 19th jan is.AndrewI believe 9th February is right at the moment. On the CD front, Paul Bliss has confirmed it's happening (not to me directly) and I'm trying to find out more. Will let you know when / if I know more...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

You know, things are looking up? It's been 9 months of hell since I came back from Germany and this is something to look forward to.I think I've got my soundtrack pre-ordered. I emailed - no reply so I assume...
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

(AndyThomas @ Dec. 18 2008,17:15)QUOTEOn the CD front, Paul Bliss has confirmed it's happening (not to me directly) and I'm trying to find out more.  Will let you know when / if I know more...Wonderful! Thanks again, Andy, for all the insider scoops you're getting for us.
(Crash Override @ Dec. 18 2008,18:01)QUOTEI think I've got my soundtrack pre-ordered. I emailed - no reply so I assume...Yeah, no reply yet here, either. I'll share it as soon as I see one, though.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

More on the CD folks, I suspect this will make more sense to some of you than it does to me! QUOTEHi Andy, that would be fantastic. Indeed the CD is a reality and Paul isalready underway with the work. All the material is intact (the firstnine or so episodes were scored and from then on most the cues werere-used or edited again, since most of the sub themes had beenestablished by this point). Anyway, these original reels were bakedand then transferred digitally, where Paul is now sorting out suites,we can give you a clearer idea of the track listing as it takes shape. We are running it as a mail order for the moment, as this allows usa higher production budget for a release of this type and to reallyproduce something special. Once Paul is happy with the content, thefinal recording is off to Italy for a final EQ'ing by a top productionengineer (those old analogue synths still sound glorious!). We aretentatively looking towards a release date of March '09. If you could thank your members for their orders thus far, andre-assure them that we will be shipping worldwide with this. Paul willbe be happy to add an update once he's made some serious headway onit, in the meantime I'd like to thank all of you for your support -it's truly appreciated! More updates soon! Gerry
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Some translations in case anyone doesn't understand every last word. QUOTEAll the material is intact (the firstnine or so episodes were scored and from then on most the cues werere-used or edited again, since most of the sub themes had beenestablished by this point)."Scoring" is the writing of custom music for a film or television. A score differs from a soundtrack for a film or show in that the score is usually the thematic orchestral body whereas the soundtrack usually consists of existing pop songs that were integrated into it. For example, compare the "Back to the Future" score versus its soundtrack. Many musical releases don't differentiate between the two, though, and just generally use the term "soundtrack".So, it sounds like only the first nine or so episodes actually had original music tracks written for them from which they could remaster for the new CD; later episodes probably just used clips edited together from the first nine. QUOTE Anyway, these original reels were bakedand then transferred digitally, where Paul is now sorting out suites,we can give you a clearer idea of the track listing as it takes shape."Baking the reel" is a term for a method of temporarily restoring and improving the playback of content on old, damaged magnetic tapes. Think of VHS or audio cassettes; they are just smaller versions of the big reels that the editors (before digital editing) would have to work with. Over time, the chemicals in the tape absorb moisture from the air and make the tape stick to the playback heads. The sticking can further damage the material as well as cause squealing in the playback. Baking the tape reel is actually quite a literal term, as the tape is placed in a special oven around 60°C to remove the absorbed moisture. Once baked, though, the content needs to be transferred to another medium quickly before it deteriorates again, after which damage will become permanent.The digital transfer is pretty straightforward. Just as all PCs today are capable of producing CD-quality audio from a line-in jack, the studio equipment has similarly equipped devices for capturing audio with very high precision.The "suites" are the groupings of main musical themes. Just as Star Wars has the "Luke and Leia Theme" and the "Imperial March", Star Fleet's music will be broken down into themes and suites for the X-Bomber crew, various planets, traveling themes, and the Imperial Alliance. QUOTE We are running it as a mail order for the moment, as this allows usa higher production budget for a release of this type and to reallyproduce something special.Limiting to custom mail order requests means that the production company doesn't have to produce an excessive quantity of discs and printed media to distribute to the brick-and-mortar retailers. As Gerry said, that saves *tons* of money and allows them to focus their efforts on making quality the priority instead of quantity. QUOTE Once Paul is happy with the content, thefinal recording is off to Italy for a final EQ'ing by a top productionengineer (those old analogue synths still sound glorious!).EQing is short for equalizing. Equalizing is a filtering and amplification process on frequency ranges to optimize the sound for human ears. In short, that's how they adjust the basses (thump thump), mid-tones (la la), and trebles (tweet tweet)."Analogue synths" is short for analogue audio synthesizers or synthesized sounds. Analogue synths use special hardware circuits (timing chips, resistors, and capacitors) to create the signal whereas digital synths are created on computers in software.In general, a synthesizer is a device that generates a custom audio wave. All audio is a series of compressed waves through the air. Analogue devices can trivially be built to create and combine waves to create custom sounds. Most tend to sound "electronic" as they lack the complex harmonies of real instruments. Think back to the old NES and C64 of the 1980s... those gaming consoles had synthesizers for sine waves, square waves, and triangle waves to create all the blips, bloops, and other background music of the classic gaming scene. Lots of 1980s pop music was also powered by similar synthesizers. Much of those sounds coming from the various bands' keyboards were synthesized audio (although some was "sampled", meaning they recorded an actual sound and had the keyboard replay that sound at different pitches). QUOTE If you could thank your members for their orders thus far, andre-assure them that we will be shipping worldwide with this.Which means now Brad can put his fears about worldwide distribution aside and start counting down to March '09. *whew!*I hope that makes everything crystal clear.

Crash

Post by Crash »

"If you could thank your members for their orders thus far..."I gotta say I like their attitude altogether better than that of Enoki / Fabulous Films.Why don't some of these people join the forum I wonder?This OST looks really good.
Shane

Post by Shane »

March get here already! I want my cosmic electro funk!
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

No, no - stop wishing away my holiday.This is one of those things where you sit back and relax in the knowledge that it's on its way without us having to do anything.
djdust

Post by djdust »

I can't believe we're really getting a soundtrack CD - this is more exciting than the DVD release to me!!
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com