Soundtrack CD News

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

That's right. I still thought the Terrahawks OST was crazy - having to sign-up for the fanclub in order to get the disc...So it was over £50 in all. What got me was that it was like that because of licensing from Gerry Anderson not in order to cover their costs. That was how they explained it to me.... So I downloaded that one.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Shane »

Yeah that put me off. Quite fond of the Terrahawks music, but never tempted to pay for the oportunity to buy it, that's just crazy!It should have been available to purchase for non members, but I guess someone was looking to make some money there.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Son Of Chronos

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Wait a mintue theirs a Terrahawks OST?? wow had no idea, all be it, its not something i would think about searching for because id figure it would never exisit in the 1st place.But wow total cost of 50quid, thats erm quite abit, more than the boxset of SF.Would I pay that much for the SF OST? hmm second thought no I wouldnt, thats just a crazy amount, i mean i want it bad but for OST thats too much, I hope these SF guys dont come with something alike.By the sounds of it i think we might be like the Terrahawks fans, as in we get dibs on the SF OST first if not only, but atleast joining a forum is free right.

AotrsCommander

Soundtrack CD News

Post by AotrsCommander »

I thought that, and when Shane mentioned the Terrahawks soundtrack yesterday, I went right off and googled it.I can sort of understand their reasoning though. I guess if you have to pay a flat fee for the licensing (which is probably, possibly plus a portion of the profits; I don't know I'm just guessing here), I'd assume it would be something on the order of a fee thousand quid (probably per show) at least. So you'd probably still nearly be paying more than £45 anyway for something like that.I might still get the Terrhawks soundtrack at some point (when I'm feeling rich); I can justify it, since I'll probably get one or two of their other soundtracks too.I must admit, for the SF soundtrack, not knowing anything about the logisitics, I expected in my own mind to be paying something in the order of £30-50. Which I would do so without hesitation. I'm not normally one to splash out (I'm normally very tight!) but in this case I'd make an exception. (Heck, I'd probably go up to nearly twice that if pushed...it is like a 25-yer dream come true, so...)Anyhoo, changing the subject slightly, now we're getting close(r ) to release, what do we reckon (and by reckon I mean wildly speculate) the track listing will be like?I recall it was said that the first nine episodes were uniquely scored and the rest were done using that material, so I'm kinda hoping for the whole lot. As Star Fleet was, what, 22-25 minutes, that's about 3-3.5 hours, which seems doable. What do the rest of you think/hope/theorise?

Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

Well the two orders that spring to mind are: order of appearance in the show and order in which the tracks were recorded.I imagine the Mars Flyby theme will be quite prominent towards the start (everyone seems to rave about that) but as long as we get the Dai-X assembly theme in there and all the fast catchy action themes...What irked me about the Terrahawks one was how 70% of the cost wasn't going on what you were ordering. Then there woulda been postage on top of that.Seeing as I was a student in Germany when I looked into it, it seemed a bit unrealistic back then. There are some really nice tracks on there but it's missing the extended theme that was released on LP around the same time as the series.Basically I emailed them way back then. The setup was due to licensing BS rather than covering costs.
Shane

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Shane »

I'd make a guess that the music will be presented in a rough chronological order with the theme song first then all the music from episode one then any new pieces that were introduced as the series progressed (which could mean 9 episodes of material plus extras) with the closing theme right at the end.As for fave tracks - far too many:The Mars fly-byDai X JunctionDai X stompBattle-funk (electro-funk space battle music)Lamia's themeThe Skull's themeHeck, I even like the ring-modulated drone when the Imperial Alliance shows up, but I guess that's classed as a sound-effect.Being really greedy now, but a few fx samples from the show would be the icing on the cake.   I would normally say that a hard-copy general music release nowadays would be suicide, as downloading is the order of the day with a lot of labels grudgingly accepting that there is little money to be made from physical or even electronic releases and they therefore opt to recoup money through gigs and merchandise.The SF Soundtrack is a real fan production though, if I had a few bob I would have paid the people behind the release a huge chunk of cash just to get it out there, so I won't quibble about paying twice or three times the price to help pay for their efforts.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Mark42

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Mark42 »

Re - Fanderson Terrahawk musicAs for paying a license fee for the music rights, to my knowledge Fanderson have never really paid much, if anything, for such rights.(Although Terrahawks is different to the other shows so a fee might have been neccessary here) They are allowed to release this music because Gerry Anderson ok's it and Carlton/Granada are happy to let it pass - their only restriction on the music is that it is a small scale, limited release album for their members -  so Fanderson can only produce 1000 copies max, and as their membership exceeds that they clearly need to try and prevent people from buying in bulk and selling off on ebay.At the end of the day the cd's only exists because of the club - and the club can only produce it because it has fee paying members.Currently there are still copies available, but when they are sold thats it, no more. Price £14.99. I assume the higher price quoted above was for becoming a member.Bottom line, if you want to buy any special exclusive club merchandise then you normally have to join the club, whichever club it is - for at least a year anyway. Thats how clubs survive, by producing items that fans want. The soundtrack albums are popular and do sell out - at the moment only the latest cd's are still available, Stingray, The Secret Service, Terrahawks and soon a new 40th Anniversary UFO album - which is similar but a bit different to the original. (I guess that helps them to get round the 1000 copy legal limitation?)
Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

Well, yes - the >£50 was the cost of Joe public getting the Terrahawks OST to Germany in 2007/8 as I recall. If anything the cost of membership seems to have gone down.The problem is that I've never come across an OST that was exclusive club merchandise before or since. The arrangement is absolutely crackers. Given that Anderson isn't making any shows at the moment you'd think he'd be glad of the income gleaned from selling OSTs to as many fans as possible while the fans would be delighted at actually being able to get them without being strong armed into membership.As for the club only surviving because of that - I have little sympathy with that view. it should be possible to operate memberships and sales separately rather than all or nothing. It seems just a bit like racketeering. I think Fanderson would be surprised at how much their sales would increase if they opened them to the public, I really do. Some arrangement with TV21 needs to be made so that as many copies can go out as possible and the club and the studio get the necessary percentage.Otherwise it's like saying X-Bomber the Game would only get developed if I sold the copies for £50 each and that's not really what being a fan is all about in my view.On another note: the Fanderson front page looks really smart but the fansales section needs to be integrated into it. It's like looking at two totally different sites.

Mark42

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Mark42 »

I think you may be missing my point. Fanderson is a club, operated by a few fans for fans who join it. Thats it. As a private little club it can produce items of interest for its members. As a small scale club operation it can sail under the radar free from paying fees and taxes. It is not a business, it is not there to sell music to the people of the world, make a profit or create jobs - thats simply not it's purpose, or the legal position under which the main copyright holders, Granada Ventures, allows them to operate. I do know that Fanderson would have liked to produce more of the UFO and Space 1999 cds as they were very popular, but they were simply not allowed to do so. Their hands are tied on this matter.At the end of the day it's down to either Granada, or a proper music company, deciding that there might be a big demand for such music - and a profit to be made - and then the soundtracks would have an official widescale public release.Currently there is a music company called Silva Screen who have released Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and 1st season Space 1999 music - they are currently about to release the 2nd season soundtrack in the next month or so. Maybe if sales are good further public releases will follow of the other shows.As for Gerry, I doubt if he would ever see a penny from any of this anyway, as he has no rights to most of these shows - he sold his shares back to ITC around 1980 - and has probably been kicking himself ever since the renewed interest in the 90s.
Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

... and I was never suggesting that Fanderson become a multinational. It seems like you're missing my point.If it's limited to selling X number of copies then it should do just that and sell them on a first-come first-served basis so that those who want them can have them. The Terrahawks OST is still available so that's obviously not happening under your system.I think some of your members must feel the same way otherwise the files wouldn't have appeared on RapidShare.With regards to Granada they certainly seem very unreasonable. I nearly had run-ins with them as well during the xbomber.co.uk - Enoki Films saga. A very humourless and officious bunch.