Soundtrack CD News

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

That is a relief. I remember watching the show for the first time in full the other month how good the music was.It was interesting how Louis Elman slated the japanese score in his interview on the DVDs and said that basically didn't have one. I wonder if that's one reason why it bombed in Japan. With Gundam and Macross a huge part of those series is the soundtrack.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Shane »

I think X Bomber bombed in Japan, because the style of the show was "old-hat" to their audience, more than anything else. Fairly static puppets didn't help either.However there's no denying that X Bomber's music is pretty poor compared to Star Fleet's. X Bomber's soundtrack is just so outdated even in 1980. The 60s/70s style music just sounds wrong in the context of all the futuristic action that's going on in the show itself.Maybe it would have been a different story if the show was released in Japan in 1982 with Paul Bliss' music? You never know.Interestingly, Gatchaman's music is absolutely stonkingly good, but then the show is very much a product of the early 70s, The people behind BOTP wisely retained most of it, but still arguably had the better title sequence complete with all new orchestral music.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Happosai

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Happosai »

It's interesting how the soundtrack can change the feel of a show. I got the box set of the Moomins stop-motion animation from the early '80s the other month...the soundtrack on the English adaptation is cool, melancholic folktronica-esque, fitting in well with the bleak Nordic style, whilst the soundtrack for the German version also included on the discs is pretty awful '70s happy poppy stuff.[Happosai]

Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

That's exactly right - Transformers was a good film made great by the soundtrack.Transformers2 had better be good or I will not be amused. Same was true for the Best of Both Worlds episode of Star Trek TNG and others. Some had a really warm fuzzy neighbours-like feel and others were quite hair-raisingly eerie. I think because of the music in part.
Shane

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Shane »

Speaking of Transformers - Vince DiCola's score for the original animated Transformers Movie is still a huge fan favourite 23 years later.
AndyThomas

Soundtrack CD News

Post by AndyThomas »

The Transformers tracks have been on my iPod for some time; my old tape wore out some time ago! I also once had the same thought about ST TNG - it lost something at some point and I think the music does make a real difference...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Darthdc

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Darthdc »

Yeah, great title track (Transformers animated movie) - can't get it outta my head once I've listened to it.
May the Force be with you!
Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

Soundtrack to Star Trek was poor and unmemorable (*yawn*). Any more news on Star Fleet? I could really do with that bit of music from when the Dai-X combines on my phone.
Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

... Where is my soundtrack? *sob*Shane was right - this is more exciting than the DVD.
Shane

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Shane »

I'll see your *sob* and raise you a *waaaah* Crash.I'm very pessimistic about this soundtrack affair now, and yes, I think it's potentially a much better release than the DVD.Still haven't purchased the Star Fleet DVD set yet, and in fact, haven't watched an episode of Star Fleet in a number of years.Can I still call myself a fan?