Starfleet with Fur and Whiskers

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Something I had forgotten, but recently remembered: back in the day, I had the idea of writing a book that was basically the Starfleet story, but with the characters turned into anthropomorphic animals, with different names. I recall that Lamia was going to be a cat, Hercules a bear, Lee a fox, and Dr Benn a wolf. Commander Makara was going to be a tiger named Evil Emma (borrowing a touch of Willo-the-Wisp influence), and Orion a lion called Wicked William.I seriously intended, in my little heart, to write it down one day and try to have it published. As I was only 9, I hadn't even heard the word "plagiarism", let alone know that you can get in serious trouble for lifting other people's storylines and renaming the characters!
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

Can't be any worse than the Starved Freaks spoof I did for Shiro's way back. Give it a go Rach
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Besides Thundercats, are there many examples of this genre that had anthropomorphic animals as the heroes and villains?What I really can't remember is what sort of creature Captain Carter was to be, in my furry version of events. I think the Imperial Master was going to be a great ape, Calliban a panther, and Princess Keeli a squirrel."Starved Freaks" sounds amusing: how far did that deviate from the original?
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Knowing Dave, "deviate" is probably right Rachel. As for anthropomorphism, cast your mind back to shows like Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, the Get Along Gang, the Racoons and Around the World with Willy Fogg. Lots of other shows had talking animals as well of course - He-Man, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Gummi Bears...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Quote (AndyThomas @ 20 April 2003,19:51)Knowing Dave, "deviate" is probably right Rachel.  As for anthropomorphism, cast your mind back to shows like Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, the Get Along Gang, the Racoons"Run with us, I see passion in your eyes... run with us, we are free... *hahaha*... "*ahem*Other examples include Sherlock Hound ( aka Famous Detective Hound ), which - as you've probably guessed coming from me - was a semi-anime co-production that featured a number of episodes directed by Hayao Miyazaki - who later went on to a direct a film featuring a flying pig. No, *really*.( and even more spookily, his animation studio, Studio Ghibli, have also produced a film about a bunch of talking raccoon-like animals that have to defend their territory from human incursions, called Pom Poko... ) And of course, in the anime-Universe, cat-girls have an undying popularity.. which leads me neatly onto Samurai Pizza Cats, or as its sometimes better known, Kyatto Ninden Teynade...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.