Where can I find the missing scenes?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

That's brilliant - I'd read about the 24 fps conversion as a workaround but hadn't gotten as far as experimenting with it so I'll give that a try.  I shudder to think how long the encoding will take - as you say, it's a "leave it and go away and do something else" sort of job!  The other method I've read of sounds like it would take fairly expensive software to do, as it would effectively be recreating frames to make the transition smooth.  I'll be interested to see how this does when I have time to try it.Additional: Well, the conversion to 24 fps took a while in itself and presumably it's the other "very slow" setting that's helped to produce an estimate of 14 hours! Fingers crossed it'll be worth it, perhaps I should have started with something shorter... I'll let you know how it turns out.Oh, and I had a thought about missing scenes - the compilation tapes, and the Thorn EMI tape, might contain some of the missing scenes and they'd be reasonable quality PAL sources for them. But I'm not sure how you'd bring the PAL into the NTSC - as I understand it, you'd have to convert a NTSC AVI to PAL, and then bring in the cut scenes as PAL AVI inserts? I don't have the software to do it with MPEGs so I'd be messing around with raw DV footage and I don't think I've got enough storage space to do it that way, although I suppose I could drop from DV to an AVI with lower resolution and work it like that. Fun and games...

Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Well, 15 hours and some change later and it's not bad at all. I think it's still suffering a little "lag" but it's not as bad as it was the last time I did it. I'd say it (perhaps inevitably) looks better on the monitor than it does on my widescreen TV, but considering it's filling the whole screen and the source quality it actually looks remarkably good. In fact that may be a plus of the VCD format - although it's fewer horizontal lines than VHS it's more rectangular so it's well suited to going widescreen. I suspect that if I wasn't watching for the stutter I'd probably just chalk it up to dodgy special effects work - I only notice it on really fast shots.I was also trying to think what they did this to make it NTSC - presumably they shrunk the vertical resolution and sped up its frame rate. Just wondering what sort of originals they must have had to do that, and do the editing - easier to do off some sort of original negative than with a PAL version?I suppose from a scientific point of view I ought to do a NTSC VCD as a test - if only to see if it'll play on my DVD player, and if so whether there's any real improvement. If not I'd imagine a PAL VCD is a safer bet for compatibility...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator