Whats the deal with the bug mind control?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Joe Meredith

Post by Joe Meredith »

Hi ThereSorry for the delay in replying - I have started to re write the story I mentioned, as there were a few bits I wasn't best pleased with. At present, what I have done so far is quite rough and needs some 'tweaking' to say the least (I'm no JK Rowling!). What I have in mind is a story that would cover the time from Lamia escaping from Esper until the Alliance entering the Earth Solar system (ie the beginning of the series).If anyone has any ideas about what may have occurred during this period I'd love to hear them; I have a sketchy idea whats going to happen but am always keen to hear other folks thoughts on it!Joe
Crash

Post by Crash »

Haha! I love bossing people about. - Seriously; I'm glad you're keeping at it. It was something that kinda stuck in my mind; the destruction of Esper; something that the original series only really touched upon and didn't lend the attention/description it deserved. You had a few seconds of footage and narrative and that was all, but I think it may have been a good thing 'cos it rather left you wanting to know more.So based on that I think you've chosen a really good bit to write about. I always found the episode with the 'planet of war', where the Alliance had devastated it and turned it into a nightmare really quite eerie and disturbing, mostly because half of what went on wasn't explained; giant spiders, these random machines that showed up all over the place etc.So I dunno if you could maybe draw some inspiration from some of that. It just seemed to be a good example of the Alliance's collective, sick imagination and terror tactics as Andy mentioned somewhere.Anyway I'm sure loads of other people'll have some original ideas, just stick around.However I do think you have a really good grasp of the sort of... feel of the series from what I heard before. You can stick the Star Fleet badge on anything you fancy but getting it to line-up with the original is pretty darn tricky and I think you've got that really sorted.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Joe Meredith

Post by Joe Meredith »

HiI thought the same - the Esper scenes were very brief but gave me quite a good starting point - and there wasn't that much detailed over the intervening years but I've had some ideas. I thought I would put the Planet of War part in; I have a few thoughts how to merge into the rest of the plot which may or may not succeed!One thing that is slightly different, and may not appeal to everyone is that I've made it a bit more 'grown up' - by that, I don't mean its full of sex and swearing, but I always thought some of the science in the programme was a bit iffy - especially that 'Black Hole' episode so I thought I'd make it a little more realistic. Another thing I thought I would do, which is a blatant rip off from 'Dune', is have excerpts from imaginary books filling space between chapters, and also have some flashbacks to the time when the Imperial Officers (esp. Makara) were normal humans, and how they became Alliance officers.Without giving too much away, I have started it off on an abandoned Alliance mining planet which has been taken over by a bunch of crooks and mercenaries...and have remembered things like the Giant Spider in the Planet of War episode and mentioned that the Alliance left things like that behind...I'll let you know how it progresses though...Joe
Crash

Post by Crash »

Great, thanks - I'm looking forward to it. Star Fleet was a pretty grown-up series in it's own right anyway.Keep going with it how you've mentioned; it'll be great.
Dream big and bold and daring.