Merchandise

Chat about collectables, videos
Shane

Merchandise

Post by Shane »

Yes indeedy I've got a few more collectable images from Gareth to stick up on the site, plus the final 3 "making of X Bomber" images from Gareth's Japanese Magazine.I'm also going to be looking through my Takatoku collection of X Bomber toys over Christmas, so I'll be taking loads of shots of the toys out of their boxes, in nice close up detail for a January update of the Collectable sectiion on my site.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Shane

Merchandise

Post by Shane »

It's a shame theres not more hours in the day really, but once the Merchandise update is completed, I think that will be all the goals achieved with regards to what I wanted to do with BIG DAI X.com which was to have the most complete guide to the merchandise connected with the show (although Daz's site kicks my ass when it comes to the video and music merchandise) Gareth's Japanese magazine images just goes to show that theres lots of information to be found by collecting this stuff, and there are no bigger collectors of this stuff than Gareth, although I probably come in a close second.I've pretty much used up all my webspace anyway, although I have put some aside for the Revenge of Makara comic, but I'm sure it won't be enough. If there are any kind fellows out there who would be willing to host the completed comic later in the year, I would be well chuffed.Yeah Mike, the old SuperBadAssRobo site is still up (I think theres another year to go on the hosting deal) I haven't been able to get access to it since the original hosting company was took over last year, so I'll probablyhave to sort that. I found that trying to tackle Transformers, Battle Of The Planets, and Star Fleet, together on one site was way to much work for one person to do. heck Star Fleet on it's own is way to much work for one person to do.I know you're a big Gatchaman fan Mike, so if you wanted to do something with that section, anything really, then feel free mate. I'm gonna clear out all the Star Fleet stuff on there, and just link to BIG DAI X.comAs for the transformer section, that was going to contain images from my Transformers collection, including my prized possesion, a Boxed Fortress Maximus! (ok so it's the Transformers 2000 reissue "Brave Maximus" he's still a bad boy!) Again if there are any Transformer people out there who wants to do anything with it, then feel free.Shane. (not a fat ass anymore)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Merchandise

Post by AndyThomas »

I certainly understand where you're coming from, Shane. It's very easy to underestimate the amount of work that has to go into a site and I appreciated the work you did for Genesis. I've had indirect experience of a few commercial web projects, and they're never one-man bands - so it takes real motivation to get it done as a single-hander. Actually, I have to laugh really, because when I first decided to put up my little reminisce on Star Fleet 3 years ago I did it because it was quite unique and because at the time I thought it was quite a nice, small, discrete topic to do a page on. I had no clue that there were quite so many fans out there, nor that they'd be dedicated enough to open up the avenues of interviews, collectables and so on - even the Voice Actors thing wasn't my idea. So having multiple sites all with differing emphasis is ideal, because as you rightly say, no-one can do it all no matter how much they'd like to - and, if someone else is already doing it you might as well just link to them because that's sort of the idea behind this Web malarkey!Anyway, I'm also going to start prioritising other things as time goes on so my own plans at the moment are really just to try and transfer the site to a different web authoring package with a view to making it as efficient to update as possible and eventually adding a few more 80s shows to the mix. I'm enjoying game playing again, so perhaps I'll even return to the Archipelago and try and update the old site a little...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Merchandise

Post by AndyThomas »

Just while we're on the topic - it turns out, having played with Macromedia's Homesite product, that it doesn't do what I'd hoped it would. The one thing in its favour is projects because you can do extended find and replaces on files across directories - but the snippets functionality I thought would be "a good thing" isn't. So more thought is going to have to go into this I think. I'm pretty sure Dreamweaver would do what I want but it's too big a jump up cost wise for me to be able to justify it really.For the HTML minded my issue is this. In Pagebuilder, which is proving a bit wobbly on Windows XP, I can insert a bit of code like this: {{Header}} which, when the page is published to its new location, gets replaced by a piece of HTML I specify. I actually came across the functionality almost by accident. So rather than doing a global find and replace on a potentially changed piece of text, all I have to do is update the entry for {{Header}} and re-publish the site. Unfortunately, although Homesite supports "Snippets" it inserts the stored code straight into the document rather than referencing it - which leaves you having to do global find and replace again. I'd like to switch over to a more commercial package which will be supported down the line, but not at the cost of the functionality I'm currently using. So if anyone has any suggestions for alternative packages around the £80 mark I'm all ears...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator