URGENT:: CALLING ALL STAR FLEET FANS

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Crash

Post by Crash »

There is no point except for the idea that the fatcats can elevate the price paid for discs by effectively preventing you from purchasing discs outside a certain geographical area.Either that or you pay a premium for a region-free player.Interestingly, a case is currently going before the European Court of Justice to see whether a pub landlord in the UK can buy her Sky subscription from a Greek provider for a tenth of the cost of purchase direct from Sky.It looks as though she'll be allowed to continue as well so that may have some future implications even if it only extends to the EU, which is probably all region2 anyway.Essentially the whole Region thing is old IP law that cuts against modern consumer protection and hasn't yet been revisited. It essentially amounts to racketeering and price-fixing.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I bought the Region 1 DVD, and I wouldn't recommend it.Simply because they must have been selling it before the DVD release and are just simply the US VHS compilation tapes. It was irritating, but it's somewhat good I suppose, since it can feed some of my curiosity, but it was still a waste of my money really. Thankfully I have an Australian DVD of the series and a multi-region DVD player
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

@Crash: QUOTEIt still irritates me that one of my favourite shows; Zentrix a chinese CGI anime is only available in English as a region1. I know what you mean, I wanted to watch the Toho Kaiju film "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla" recently, and the only way to do this was to buy the Region 1 DVD, as there's no Region 2 version in English that could be located. Although, having watched it in dubbed English, I then re-watched it in original Japanese with English Subtitles, and it was a much better experience. What the characters said in the dubbed English version (which was often corny and sometimes didn't make sense) was noticeably different to what the English Subtitles had them as saying!The subtitled version seemed a much more accurate translation, and more in-keeping with the original movie.It's a bit like watching the German war film Das Boot in dubbed-over English, and finding it a bit lacking compared to watching the original German version with English subtitles.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Dammit,you reminded me. I left my multiregion DIGA player in the house when I sold it.I sold all the contents alongside. I didn't care about the TV but I forgot the DVD-RW was a multi.I woulda hung onto it.I hate stuff like Godzilla and the hulk and monster films and stuff. It just grosses me out.Pretty fine with Evangelion though, so go figure.I think that's because it's done with such style and depth.I think I'll have to order the first boxset of Zentrix before it becomes unavailable (if it hasn't already).That show rocked (apart from the English voices).
Dream big and bold and daring.