Episode titles

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Darthdc

Episode titles

Post by Darthdc »

Just looking at the titles of episodes 20 and 21 in the DVD booklet. Both mention M13. There is no mention of this term in the episodes themselves, or the booklet.Any ideas?
May the Force be with you!
Crash

Episode titles

Post by Crash »

This is the new Japanese Remaster booklet?I see that inside the back cover. Is M13 the planet that they land on? (Callinean in the western version), where they bury Dr Benn.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Darthdc

Episode titles

Post by Darthdc »

UK release booklet. 20 and 21 are the episodes on Callinean. I just haven't got a clue what M13 refers to.
Happosai

Episode titles

Post by Happosai »

Yes, in the original Japanese version, M13 is the name of the planet known as Callinean in the English version. The X Bomber Encyclopedia confirms this.[Happosai]
Crash

Episode titles

Post by Crash »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_13Interesting how Halley refers (if I'm remembering this right) to the 'Callinean star cluster' and M13 is a star cluster.
Dream big and bold and daring.
FZeroOne

Episode titles

Post by FZeroOne »

Crash beat me to it by suggesting its a possible astronomical reference; theres a bit of a tradition in anime of mixing up astronomical terms (galaxy for solar system etc) - 70s/80s Leeji Matsumoto originating series like "Captain Harlock" are especially good/bad at that.

"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Darthdc

Episode titles

Post by Darthdc »

Well, thanks for the info. It makes sense in a way. More so than being able to make 2 return journeys to Pluto and then travel beyond it and then return, all in one year.Blimey, they even landed on Jupiter!
FZeroOne

Episode titles

Post by FZeroOne »

Which is a neat trick in itself, considering that as far as anyone knows, Jupiter doesn't have a solid surface (except perhaps right at the core, but if you're that far into its atmosphere you'll have other worries, like being about a micron thick... Reminds me a little of a "Battle of the Planets" episode I saw when I was very young, when there was a cyborg horse race on Jupiter. Even then I knew there was something wrong there... (in the original "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman", of course, the race would have been on Earth).
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Darthdc

Episode titles

Post by Darthdc »

I think this knowledge of Jupiter was known even then. The planet still has one featue that would prevent humans even getting close, and that is a radioactive shield. Its several times bigger than the planet itself.That would also make it tricky to land on its moons too. At least they are all solid matter.Back to Pluto, its distance from the sun is hugely variable, due to a highly eliptical orbit. Its closer to the sun than Neptune at times.
Darthdc

Episode titles

Post by Darthdc »

Ok, so my inner geek has gone and done some maths.Pluto's distance from the sun varies between 2.76 billion miles and 4.58 billion miles.Depending on the distance, light will take between 41 and 69 hours to get there.Somehow, I don't think X-Bomber or Makara's Battlecruiser were going that fast.