Halley's relation to Lamia

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I found something interesting on the Japanese wikipedia page on X-Bomber when running it through google translate.On it, it claims that Halley is in fact Lamia's brother. Now I have no idea if there's any source to confirm that because I can't understand Japanese and haven't the time (at the moment anyhow) to find the Kanji symbols in the X-Bomber Encyclopedia.But, I find it a very interesting claim and I feel it makes an amount of sense. Halley always seemed to me like he had no romantic interest in Lamia, that's probably a pretty good reason why...
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Interesting find!Certainly could be plausible like you say. I wonder if it was aluded to in the Japanese script of X-Bomber, and that subtlety was lost in translation into English?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. Kind of wonder what Shiro's reaction would have been to the "become one" comment then.Could also be a translation error on google's part. If it is, it's quite a coincidence. This is the translated line I got (without cleaning it up, which it obviously needs) "Captain of the mystery of the spacecraft issue skull. Unidentified (actually Lamia brother) and has been hostile but Germa empire, to bring useful information to Shiro us."Also,Happy New Years
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's plausible given the age and background of the two characters.In that case, why does Shiro get emotional about Halley's 'relationship' with Lamia in the English version? - Unless he doesn't know... Maybe they were ripping off Star Wars (I'm thinking of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi).That's a very interesting find. Nice one. I hope 2015 looks after the both of you well.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Jan. 03 2015,12:35)QUOTEThat's plausible given the age and background of the two characters.In that case, why does Shiro get emotional about Halley's 'relationship' with Lamia in the English version? - Unless he doesn't know... Maybe they were ripping off Star Wars (I'm thinking of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi).That's a very interesting find. Nice one. I hope 2015 looks after the both of you well.I'm guessing Shiro didn't know, either that or thought that Esperian culture keeps it in the family, if you know what I mean...Same to you. Hopefully this is the year that my remastering project finally gets finished.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hopefully, this is the year for that and a lot else besides for all of us.Vanessa, if you're lurking, that story that I finished reading about a week ago but have been too busy to post about was brilliant - absolutely great.It was so damn clever how it extrapolated so much from so little detail given to us in the show about what happened before 2999.Usually, when someone writes a fanfic that speculates so much and invents so much itself, you start thinking "no, this does not tie-in".This was Star Fleet. - It was a tiny bit different but that's always gonna be the case with fan fiction and why shouldn't it be?And the other thing was how vivid and original it was. It diverged massively away and speculated a great deal and yet it just worked perfectly.It was a *very* ambitious project in my view and sometimes those don't pay off. X-Bomber the Game taught me that but this just worked.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Bladez, yes I hope you complete your remastering project this year (and maybe some more Interster?). I've been looking forward to it for a while now. Crash - wow! What a glowing review! <blush> Thank you very much, and I'm so pleased you liked it, and found it "Star Fleet-y" enough. Coming from a fellow SF fan, that's quite a compliment. I had been thinking and scheming out the plot for quite a while, but it was only when I was really ill with influenza and was forced to stay at home for a couple of weeks, stuck in bed, that I had the time to write it. It took about 2 weeks to write, plus a further week (once I was feeling better) to edit it.The story has been up on fanfiction for a few years, and I think that the obscure nature of the source material, plus the TG element (that some seemed to struggle with, from the feedback I have had), have kept the reader figures very low.I've toyed with the idea of re-writing it without the TG element, to make it more accessible and "mainstream" (maybe?), but never got round to it. I worry it would lose something in the process. So it is what it is.I do feel a tad embarrassed that I've not tried your game, as it is a huge and ambitious fan-created project, and your efforts deserve more recognition, but I'm no computer gamer, alas. Maybe I'll take the plunge one day?Have you ever thought of creating a mobile app game along the lines of your X-bomber game?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I'd love to see more "Interster", but I'm doubtful given SABC's record, like I had a guy on the page I created on the lostmedia wiki say that being South African, he can say with an amount of certainty that the Interster collection will not be completed. We can only hope SABC comes under new management or something...I'm still trying to find someone to translate Episodes 3-4, 18 and the Pilot. That's the #1 thing keeping this from being finished, that and cleaning the grain (currently I'm on Episode 14 in grain cleaning, it's been really more difficult than I thought). The only plus to this long wait is that some better quality scenes have come forward that I didn't have previously, such as the scene with Dai-X raising its arms and the close up of X-Bomber's engines launching used in the end credts.But I still would love to get that scene of X-Bomber coming out of the crater used in the opening and end credits, that appears to either be an extended shot from Episode 1 or an alternate take. It's covered with text on the Japanese version so I can't use it and have to use the rather lousy looking scene off the UK DVD. The only place I've seen it clean is the Spanish version; "Flota Espacial". It was on YouTube for at least 2 years, and even so, it was low 360p quality so really it looked worst than the one on the UK DVD. I want to track down the Spanish VHS and get a high quality recording.

Crash

Post by Crash »

Why would removing the transgender element net it more readers? You wrote what you meant to write. I thought that bit was clever.I wouldn't worry about playing X-Bomber. 2D shooters are a niche in gaming culture anyway.All the same, it has nice graphics for a one-man-job, it plays well to my thinking and it has a great japanese soundtrack that I shamelessly ripped from Gundam and everywhere.