Audio Remastering

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bladez636

Audio Remastering

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Jun. 11 2012,09:35)QUOTEThey may have tried to deliver it on Saturday.'Working' 7 days in a row. Will collect it tomorrow morning from the depot. They're open from 7am, I think.If so, then that was quick
Crash

Audio Remastering

Post by Crash »

Well, yes - unless it's ticking, I can't think what else it would be.I sent my fancy surge protector back to Belkin for warranty replacement but that'll take them ages.It has a lifetime warranty but trying to claim on said warranty took nearly a lifetime in itself.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Crash

Audio Remastering

Post by Crash »

Yep, it was the DVDs, OK.I'll send yours through when I get a moment.
Bladez636

Audio Remastering

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Jun. 12 2012,09:08)QUOTEYep, it was the DVDs, OK.I'll send yours through when I get a moment. Great!
Bladez636

Audio Remastering

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?6habpqids3r986mHate doing this, but I went and re-did Episode 8 as I felt the first attempt I did wasn't the best - I used VHS Volume 3 audio because it sounded less hissy than the DVD Audio and in the end, it came out nicely - lot less bass than my first attempt.
Bladez636

Audio Remastering

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?ajp7s6is39jajsuA small tweak of Episode 1 - I reduced some of the additional bass the hiss removal seems to add and made it sound better.
Bladez636

Audio Remastering

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?u2j2sd4ffxegxncEpisode 24 again - I found I could improve upon some areas where tracking buzzing can be heard.I used the audio primarily from the VHS Rip of the Volume 8 where the hiss and buzzing are loud. But used better quality sound from "Space Quest for F-01" from the Japanese DVD - the only issue is that I had with it is it was slowed to match the NTSC frame rate that the Japanese versions were in, thus making the audio sound odd. Here, I did more with that audio which sounds nicer.I need to reiterate why I used the VHS Audios instead of the DVD one - the audio on the DVD is rather muffled, not even sure how to describe it in reality. "The Thalian Space Wars" Tapes had this same issue with audio -- usually VHS masters tend to have such issues with audio.
Bladez636

Audio Remastering

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?qio75n09dto4yrwEpisode 2 improved upon again. I was surprised because this is the first time I noticed that there was more hiss to it than I initially thought - I wonder if I did anything to that at all - it's possible I didn't since I edited episodes one and two together and probably forgot to do anything or neglected much of the hiss.Sorry that I keep updating all

Bladez636

Re: Audio Remastering

Post by Bladez636 »

I've been thinking of redoing these with the audio from Discotek's US release (since it contains no cuts from the commercial eyecatch unlike the UK DVD which somewhat clumsily removed them). When I did these back in 2012, I didn't have the best knowledge and just used a lot of lowpass filter to make the grain less noticeable - the problem with that is that the clarity takes a bit of a battering.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to any good audio quality rips of the US Tapes anymore, so I can't fix any of the audio glitches (Hercules' voice cutting out for a short bit in Episode 7 / The Termoid's voice cutting out for a short bit in Episode 12 / the muffled quality of episode 24). If anybody here has any old rips with good audio quality from back in the day, whether they be from the tapes or from bootleg DVD-Rs/VCD's - let me know. I'm kicking myself for getting rid of that DVD set of the VHS transfers from timesforgottendvd.
Crash

Re: Audio Remastering

Post by Crash »

Is there any drawback from using the recent US DVDs?
Better that than using a recording from a VHS or VCD-made-from-a-VHS, I would think.