Remastering Progress

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bladez636

Remastering Progress

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Mar. 24 2012,20:58)QUOTENo problem, will see what I can do.Have you noticed a little bit of 'tearing' on a few shots of those vids?I remember when I worked in Germany, I had to do some video editing.The format that the dodgy, East-German digital video hard-drive camera recorded on wouldn't convert well into DVD format, nomatter which software you used.Nero, Roxio, Ashampoo - they all gave this 'tearing' effect when the even rows of pixels wouldn't 'line up' with the odd rows.It was like the odd/even pixels belonged to one frame and the other set belonged to the one before/after.It was especially evident when people started moving around. You got a kind of jagged edge down the sides of any moving object.I noticed a tiny bit of that on one or two of these and wondered if it was a result of WMV conversion or ... whatever.I notice it somewhat; it's more or less the end result of noise reduction in shots, which I have to implement on some, mainly shots that come off the English DVD
felice

Remastering Progress

Post by felice »

(Crash Override @ Mar. 24 2012,20:58)QUOTEIt was like the odd/even pixels belonged to one frame and the other set belonged to the one before/after.They do - look up interlacing. It's why the frame rate is half the hertz value of the power supply (50/25 PAL, 60/30 NTSC). Rather a nuisance, really.
Crash

Remastering Progress

Post by Crash »

Sure, just not to the extent that we were seeing, where any moving object has jagged side edges. That's now how it should be to my mind.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Remastering Progress

Post by Bladez636 »

The interlacing was what you were referring to? Yeah, I can do something about it actually; there's a de-interlace filter in VLC Media Player - so I'll have to remember.http://www.mediafire.com/?1pskvtvwfapnvspHere are the scenes from Episode 4 trailer for Episode 5. I'm feeling really impressed.
felice

Remastering Progress

Post by felice »

It's what you'll see in any program that displays both fields of an interlaced frame at the same time. I'm no expert on how to handle interlaced video, but I assume if you use the right export settings it will look fine when played back on any player that handles regular TV (ie one that uses some kind of deinterlacing algorithm, or an actual old-style CRT TV).
Crash

Remastering Progress

Post by Crash »

This is the combing that you can get rid of by de-interlacing.:The whole interlacing business is a complete load anyway because, as that article notes, it defeats any compression algorythm that you use because it makes the images unnecessarily complicated. The compression methods can't find the same similarities between one row of pixels and the next if those rows belong to different frames.The point I would make is that interlacing is a thing of the past that only works in non-compressed signals on CRT displays and neither of those really apply any longer.One thing that irks me about that pretty grim Wikipedia article (apart from the terrible introduction) is how it shows the picture of the car tyre next to this: "When interlaced video is watched on a progressive monitor with very poor deinterlacing, it exhibits combing when there is movement between two fields of one frame."It is not any progressive monitor's job to deinterlace interlaced video.A computer monitor is there to display *exactly* what the the GPU sends it without any interpretation whatsoever.That is why motion blur is added into games at great expense in terms of computing power by the GPU.An LCD TV *might* cut in and try and fix interlacing for you but, contrary to what Wikipedia says, it is not the sign of a bad monitor that it shows these jagged edges.I would say that if your video software can go back piece the frames back together by putting the lines from each frame actually into that same frame and deinterlace the lot, that would be an improvement in my mind.Aside from that minor remark, these look really good.

Bladez636

Remastering Progress

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Mar. 27 2012,23:44)QUOTEThis is the combing that you can get rid of by de-interlacing.:The whole interlacing business is a complete load anyway because, as that article notes, it defeats any compression algorythm that you use because it makes the images unnecessarily complicated. The compression methods can't find the same similarities between one row of pixels and the next if those rows belong to different frames.The point I would make is that interlacing is a thing of the past that only works in non-compressed signals on CRT displays and neither of those really apply any longer.One thing that irks me about that pretty grim Wikipedia article (apart from the terrible introduction) is how it shows the picture of the car tyre next to this: "When interlaced video is watched on a progressive monitor with very poor deinterlacing, it exhibits combing when there is movement between two fields of one frame."It is not any progressive monitor's job to deinterlace interlaced video.A computer monitor is there to display *exactly* what the the GPU sends it without any interpretation whatsoever.That is why motion blur is added into games at great expense in terms of computing power by the GPU.An LCD TV *might* cut in and try and fix interlacing for you but, contrary to what Wikipedia says, it is not the sign of a bad monitor that it shows these jagged edges.I would say that if your video software can go back piece the frames back together by putting the lines from each frame actually into that same frame and deinterlace the lot, that would be an improvement in my mind.Aside from that minor remark, these look really good.This is all pretty confusing to me. But I'm still gonna have a go on it de-interlacingI'm working on the ones for the trailer for Episode 6 - two of the scenes can be seen in Episode 1 (the hatch door opening on Moonbase) and Episode 5 (Imperial Fighters launching from the Battlecruiser). I didn't figure out till later about the hatch door scene, but thank God because that means less I have to utilize the English DVD
Bladez636

Remastering Progress

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?lylk147cqd2oyjcHere's the ones from the Episode 5 trailer; I finished this within 2-3 days. The scenes (excluding the last one) are de-interlaced. The last one looks teary, not sure if it's because it wasn't de-interlaced or if it was because it was off the English DVDAs a side note, I will be attempting to redo that Dai-X scene in the intro sometime within the next week, preferably when I'm finished with the trailer for ep 7 and 8 and the cut scene from episode 8The intro scenes are odd, as they're grainier than the actual episodes turn out to be.... Not sure why, but this seems to have always been the case, even on VHS rips.

Bladez636

Remastering Progress

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?aov41jypjjhxzaqHere's the scenes for the trailer for episode 7
Crash

Remastering Progress

Post by Crash »

That looks superb, thanks for sharing that!