Soundtrack CD News

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
AotrsCommander

Soundtrack CD News

Post by AotrsCommander »

After lurking for some time and checking this thread nearly daily, I finally cracked and sent a polite email to the CD team, asking if the project was still on.They sent me this reply: QUOTEHi Alex, all the re-mastering is finished, we are just making some revisions to the packaging. not much longer now! All the best Gerry So fear not, folks. It's getting there! Though how long 'not much longer' is anybody's guess, at least we know it's still on the horizon. (I for one have been eagerly awaiting the soundtrack since March, as not only is it one of my favourites of all time but arguably what got me interested in soundtracks (which comprise 99% of my musical collection) in the first place.)
Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

I have to say I think that has to be the strongest first post I've ever read. I'm stunned at its awesomeness and I'm really relieved. Welcome to the board!I think on the basis of that we have to give you a custom or increased rank right away. I'd do it myself but I don't think I have the permissions.I totally agree about the soundtrack - watching the DVDs reminded me how much I liked it.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Son Of Chronos

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Im going to assume the lack of comments about the OST means that it is still not released in any form?I sent an email to what I think is to whoever was in charge of bringing it out, but not heard a word so far.Yeah I listen to scores and OST alot, probably thanks to the very cool ass music that was on SF, some really great sounds Im a sucker for cyberpunkish music, thats what it reminds me of.Im looking forward to getting this and the new DVD set, going to be great!
Bradster

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Bradster »

Correct... still no word on a release date. The last little bit of information we have is that message quoted above by AotrsCommander.

AndyThomas

Soundtrack CD News

Post by AndyThomas »

By way of an update, apparently the soundtrack has gone for duplication assuming some final checks are OK. I'm going to get more detail in a couple of weeks and I'll pass that on as soon as I get it. Come on, having waited a couple of decades for a DVD how bad can a few months for a soundtrack be?!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Crash »

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!I secretly thought you might have had some inside info for us!!!
Dream big and bold and daring.
AotrsCommander

Soundtrack CD News

Post by AotrsCommander »

That's great news. Thanks for the update!I must grudgingly admit, when it didn't come out around mid-summer, in the back of my mind, I was half expecting it to be out around October/November-ish.(Not that'd I'd be surprised if it does take until December, real world being what it is!)Well, well, WELL worth the wait however, as you say. I mean, I've only wanted the soundtrack to Star Fleet for, oh, twenty-five years or so... I'm only finding this particular release delay painful because I'm more excited about this than, I think, pretty much any other release (perhaps even more than DVD of Star Fleet itself!) I'm mean, I'm itching for Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 (and was for Spore) but never quite so obessively!(Is it sad that I check the thread nearly everyday in the hopes of getting some news...?)(It's probably nearly as sad, then, that I've got too whole starship wargames fleets painted and ready to play, but I've not finished generating the record sheets because I wanted to save something for when the soundtrack came out, especially considering it is rather appropriate to the fleets in question!)
Shane

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Shane »

Good to have some kind of solid confirmation.I listen to a lot of old and contemporary electro, electro-funk, detroit techno etc so getting hold of the Star Fleet soundtrack will really be a very big thing indeed. You could do a club mix and easily slot in a few Star Fleet tracks - very funky material.I guess the people behind the release are going to be using the email list they obtained at the beginning of the year to sell it along with sfxb and it's forum. I certainly hope it does well for them. Any Idea how many units they're looking to sell, over a thousand? or much more limited than that.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Son Of Chronos

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Thanks for the news update Andy, glad to see its still comming.I think a thousand copies is too much, you'd be making a loss, imo the soundtrack would sell less than the DVD because thats just way more marketable, not everyone goes and buys soundtracks/scores to their favourite shows or movies, id expect SF to be no different.Of course I want it to do well, but you have to be realistic.
Shane

Soundtrack CD News

Post by Shane »

Well, of course, the soundtrack isn't likely to shift a thousand copies, I know that, you know that, but do the people in question know that?From experience, limited runs of CDs cost much more to produce. I dabble with electronic music and self released an EP a few years back. I got 100 CDs duplicated with black and white printing for £100 and I printed the cases myself at a cost of £50 So that was £150 for 100 CDs. This doesn't take into account mastering charges which was £120 for 4 tracks. So that's a grand total of £270. I had to sell each CD at a price point of at least £2.70 to break even. I sold them at £4.00 and should have made an overall profit of £130 However I didn't sell all the copies as I had to give away a quarter of the run to various online reviewers to publicise the release. So, there was little profit to be made on such a small run. It's a basic model but you can see how it works especially as the people in question have far more overheads to cover. It's actually only a little more expensive in relative terms to go from a production run of 100 to 500 or even a 1000 whether you sell them or not. I'm sure they've done their sums. I'm expecting a premium price similar to the Terrahawks release and quite frankly, I'll pay it!It was inconceivable ten years ago that the Star Fleet soundtrack would ever be released so for it to be so close to a reality is truly incredible. Well done boys!

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!