Playing VCD's

Chat about collectables, videos
AndyThomas

Playing VCD's

Post by AndyThomas »

I sometimes get that error message when trying to open video files, generally my Star Fleet CDs (not Simon's) - it might be worth checking that the disc is clean. If you've got little placeholder things for your CD tray try using them. I don't know anything about VCDs - but a .dat file wouldn't be something I'd expect a mediaplayer to play? Obviously Simon is the one to ask about this...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
simoncoverdale

Playing VCD's

Post by simoncoverdale »

Hello Lee & All,You have followed the correct procedure for running a VCD through a PC. That is the file. The only thing I can think of is that your PC does not associate the file with a media player.There is a procedure for this, but I cannot recall it at the moment. If you open Windows Media Player, then go "File", "Open" and THEN point at the file, it SHOULD work.Just as a point of reference, if you intend to play the files on a PC only, you would be better off with the DivX version (providing your PC is powerful enough, 450hmz and above, reasonable sound and video cards). The DivX's play better on a PC than the VCD.For some unbeknown reason, the VCD's look FAR, FAR better through a stand-alone DVD player and a normal TV. I think its something to do with the way TV's "fill in the gaps"? Perhaps someone with A/V experience could tell us?Anyhow, if the above doesn't work, let me know and I'll do another disc and fully test it before mailing.Regards,SIMON COVERDALE
AndyThomas

Playing VCD's

Post by AndyThomas »

It's probably, as you suggest, to do with the difference between monitor displays and TV displays. Monitors are intended to be very precise - but the problem is that that emphasises any pixellation you might get. I have a vague recollection that monitors use square pixels whereas TVs used round ones, hence the "fuzziness" factor? I certainly find that animated stuff on DVD looks almost too sharp, if you know what I mean. So perhaps the VCDs benefit from being analogue - perhaps a DVD outputting in pure digital to a digital TV would look like the monitor version? It's also possible that a TV/DVD combo performs error correction or something, while the PC will do a very literal reproduction of the content. Then again, I could just be spouting b******s! ;)
simoncoverdale

Playing VCD's

Post by simoncoverdale »

Hello All,I have received confirmation that a (standard) PS2 WILL NOT play VCD's. Having had a trawl around the 'net and contacting people who play around with these machines/software as a hobby, I'll informed that there is/will shortly be available a software modification which will allow VCDs to play on PS2's.I'm told that this software CANNOT alter hardware hence will not invalidate warranty. As its to be 'freeware', I will have my grubby little hands on it shortly and will be bundling as a seperate disc to the VCD's.Thanks,SIMON COVERDALEwww.StarFleetDirect.com
AndyThomas

Playing VCD's

Post by AndyThomas »

Not actally owning one, this may not be the case, but presumably this software will update a FLASHable ROM in the Playstation? You can do a similar thing to modems to update the communication protocols on them. If this is the case, although not messing with the hardware, you may still want to think hard about doing it - there were warnings on my modem that if there was a power outage in the middle of an update I'd be in trouble...