TRANSFANS! Maximise and Terrorise!

Chat about collectables, videos
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

In a bid to reduce the sheer volume of my video collection I've decided to shift my Beast Wars collection. For the uninitiated, this is the CGI follow-up to the original Transformers series with a new but very recognisable set of characters in a time travel twist to the series. I really enjoyed it because it ties in very cleverly to the original series and the CGI really does a lot for the characters. Quite a lot of comedy in it, too! So for more details, see:http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi....rows=25I'm selling the tapes in pairs...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Chris Snape

Post by Chris Snape »

Andy, being a huge Transformers fan I would like to here your completely honest take on Beastwars. I have never watched the series for fear that it will ruin the classic first and seconf series of Transformers. (Anything after the movie I thought was pish). It would be nice to hear your views on it. PS. IF you have any of the episodes of the first series let me know. Preferably on original VHS. Thanks.
Get Quality Copies of Starfleet from me in PAL/UK format:Chris.Snape@btinternet.com
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Well, Beast Wars is very different, it has to be said. But, it's still Transformers. Difficult to go into great detail without spoiling it, but... Well, I'll go into the background anyway because I think you'll find it interesting from an original series viewpoint.2 ships - one Predacon, one Maximal, come out of transwarp near a planet, firing on one another. They are the descendants of the G1 Transformers. They're also a lot smaller - this becomes apparent later.Both ships crash on the planet, which it turns out is rich in Energon - too rich. In order to protect their circuits from overload, their ships adapt them to their environment by examining the organic life present. Hey presto - Beast Mode Transformers are born. There aren't many Bots on either side at the beginning, but stasis pods from the Maximal ship are de-orbiting all the time and it's a race to see who can get possession of them first to add to their forces.So as you can see, there are immediate similarities between this series and the old series. Where it starts to get interesting, though, is with the discovery that these Transformers from the future have actually arrived in the past. Of Earth. WAY in the past. But not so far back that a certain spaceship hasn't already crash landed into a certain volcano...Now, this was a clever turn because although the animals are clearly Earth like you didn't know for sure it was Earth until much later. It turns out that Megatron (!), the leader of the Predacons, hasn't taken on the old leader's name for nothing. He's acting on orders passed down by the original Megatron. Travel back in time, find the Ark, kill Optimus Prime - and change time so that the Predacons come out on top in the Cybertronian Wars.Ok, so yes, it's pushing a toy line - but the way it weaves into the original continuity is very good and there are some funny lines. Like, for example, Optimus Primal's comment when trying to break into the Ark - "Die Cast construction! They just don't make them like that any more!" - very tongue in cheek, and the original series would never have done it, but this is one of those shows (it's Mainframe - makers of Reboot) that's got something for the adults as well as the kids. It's all good stuff, with several ongoing plots. CGI a bit dated now perhaps, but I enjoyed 'em! I got the videos having caught the odd scrap of an episode on TV which had me intrigued.So, hope that helps! There are numerous web sites on the subject as you'd expect...
Chris Snape

Post by Chris Snape »

Thanks very much for the info!I am glad that they haven't tried to overright the original series as they did with He-man. It sounds like there are a few good ideas there. What do the bots look like? Are the robots easy to recognise with the old bots? Do we ever get to see inside the arc?Thanks again for the reply.
Get Quality Copies of Starfleet from me in PAL/UK format:Chris.Snape@btinternet.com
Chris Snape

Post by Chris Snape »

Just had a look at the Ebay link. Is Excelsior you? I am Roobarb on Ebay and I may well bid for those 8 volumes. How many volumes in total are available?
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Hi Chris. I am indeed Excelsioruk (plain old Excelsior was taken!) Altogether there are 10 tapes spread over the 5 auctions. The numbered ones represent all the commercial releases on single VHS tapes (3 episodes to a tape) although curiously they don't quite follow through an entire series - can't remember quite where they fit in the grand scheme of things, I'd have to check. But, tapes 8 and 4 feature the Ark quite heavily. Actually, now that I look at the back covers, the odd thing is that tape 4 is actually the end of the final series, whereas tape 8 is the end of the preceding series (I think). I remember being a bit thrown by that, because I bought them in the order they came out!The "RARE!" tapes are promotional ones with just one episode each and basically cover the arrival of the Predacons and Maximals on planet.To answer your other questions, the Bots are in some ways more complex looking than they were in the original series - but then they can do that with CGI. What's interesting is that they change their looks over time for various plot led reasons - so their beast forms evolve along with their robot forms. You'll find Optimus Primal quite recognisable, as well as this series' Megatron - their heads are reminiscent of the characters whose positions they have. Have a look at Volume 5 more closely:Notice the family resemblance?! I think you'll probably be pleasantly surprised by the way it all links in - it's clearly been done by people who give a #### about the overall continuity, which is what I'd expect from Mainframe actually given their work with Reboot. Might well be the first time that the US has directly produced a Transformers series...
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Hm, things appear to have hotted up slightly on the bidding front! Only a few hours left now, so don't leave it too late if you're going to, Chris!
Chris Snape

Post by Chris Snape »

Don't worry Andy. I am an old hand on Ebay. If it's in my range I shall have them... Oh yes (evil laugh).
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Heh. I smell sniping bids coming on ;)
Chris Snape

Post by Chris Snape »

Sorry Andy, after checkin gthe funds I decided against purchasing. If you decide to sell more of the same in the future then please let me know.Cheers anyway!