recordable dvds

Chat about collectables, videos
AndyThomas

recordable dvds

Post by AndyThomas »

The drives are still very expensive, however, as are writable discs themselves. Hmm. 20 minutes or so an episode, 24 episodes, 480 minutes, 8 hours. Can you get 8 hours onto a DVD? I think you'd need more than one if you were going to do it so it's probably still more economical to do it on CDs if you're going to do it at all. Bear in mind that although the episodes would be on a DVD, it won't make the quality any better than CDs because the source material is still the same - and it still won't be an uncut version. Unless Enoki pull something out of the bag...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

recordable dvds

Post by AndyThomas »

*waits for the stampede*
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Jim Box

recordable dvds

Post by Jim Box »

Hmmm, just wondering what the quality is like, as I know from reading What Hi-fi and the like that the DVD recordable has various quality modes, similar to long play vhs tapes, ie 1hr video on dvd very high quality, 2hr = ok, comparable to watching BBC1. Anything above 2hrs though and the quality is really going to suffer.Considering the source material is 20 years old, converted to MPEG (for DVD-R) and then burnt at a suspect quality (no offense intended), i'm just wondering if the effort is actually worthwhile.Another point is even though DVD-R and its many similar recordable DVD formats are supposed to be 100% compatible with existing equipment. What HIfi found that in many cases a brand new DVD-R burnt on £1000+ equipment failed to play on all the DVD players they tried (from £100 safeway specials to £3000+ Boothroyd Stuart Meridian and TagMaclaren DVD players.Eventually it was only their "trusty Dell laptop" that managed to play the disks.Sorry to sound like I just urinated all over your barbecue Price IS tempting though Jim
Jim Box

recordable dvds

Post by Jim Box »

Hmmm, okay now its getting a bit more interesting Are these the Uncut British releases or the chopped about NTSC VCD's?If its the former (uncut) then yes I would be interested, providing a few of the other members have left some positive feedback first.How come you can get the DVD R so cheap then, I though they were wickedly expensive?Jim
Matt Darcy

recordable dvds

Post by Matt Darcy »

I'd pay up for the uncut set on DVD, I am not even bothered if I can't watch them on my DVD I would enjoy them on my PC while working.