Thorn EMI Tape

Chat about collectables, videos
AndyThomas

Thorn EMI Tape

Post by AndyThomas »

I recently got hold of a copy of this in very good condition. For those not familiar, this is perhaps the rarest of the tapes going and features episodes 4 and 5. What's nice, though, is that it's uncut apart from not having end credits after episode 4 - so it has the beginning and end bits.Also, and this is the really interesting bit for me, it demonstrates just how different the US tapes are because it includes a sequence which Shane has up on his site involving Carter and Shiro back on Earth while Shiro's being trained. I actually remember that bit very strongly and I'm wondering if I rented this tape at some point. I'd have to look at the US tapes again, but I think they even shortened the final moving target sequence. It's a shame, because it does set things up for Shiro's eventual duel with Carter much better with that sequence in.Episode 4 is the one currently on SFXB and episode 5 is also a clever choice because it introduces the Skull and has some flashbacks etc. So, basically, very nice tape and I'm pleased to have finally been able to pick up a copy...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Jim Box

Thorn EMI Tape

Post by Jim Box »

Hmm I remember Shiro being trained, way back when I was a kid.Blasted American editing. Not on the Cd's Iv'e got.
djdust

Thorn EMI Tape

Post by djdust »

get a copy of the uncut videos from me then
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
AndyThomas

Thorn EMI Tape

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, I actually added the bit about the Skull to the FAQ not that long ago because as you rightly point out it was something which drew people into the show. In fact, a lot of the events in Star Fleet are driven by The Search for the Skull - you could almost subtitle it Star Fleet: The Search for the Skull!
AndyThomas

Thorn EMI Tape

Post by AndyThomas »

The Skull appears to have been enclosed in an atmosphere-retaining field, as lots of characters walk about on its decks quite happily during the series. The annoying thing about the Skull, of course, was that you'd get little glimpses of it, it would even save the crew, and then it would just leave! Plus of course if you haven't seen anime before the whole idea of having a sailing ship in space is pretty novel, if not just a little bit daft!