X Bomber (NOT Star Fleet) on DVD

Chat about collectables, videos
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

I'm from both camps...saw and loved Star Fleet many years before I knew anything about anime, and am now an anime fan and have a rekindled interest for both reasons of nostaglia and because of its Japanese origins...As for the DVD set, less than GBP 200 (the list price converts to GBP 170) for 25 episodes isn't too bad at all (less than GBP 8.00 an episode)...how much is a three-episode DVD (or a crappy hour-and-a-half film) in the UK?  Hard-core anime fans will easily pay more than GBP 20.00 for a single episode DVD, or over GBP 100.00 for an art book.  And how much have people paid for a Star Fleet model or toy?However, for most people, the Japanese DVDs aren't going to be much use without any English translation, especially if SF is going to get a UK release...it'd be really nice if they did it both subbed and dubbed, but I somehow doubt they will.[Happosai](Edited by Happosai at 12:55 am on Sep. 5, 2002)
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, I suppose there's always been a premium on anime tapes over here.  Considering how short most are, the cost per 25 minutes for the average Manga vid was probably not that far off £6 or £7.  I suppose thinking about it it may only be 5 discs but they'll be getting a lot on each disc.  Even so, you're still looking at half the running time of a season boxed set of a series like Farscape which would only set you back about £70.  Not forgetting customs duty and general postage from Japan to come on top of the base price... Anyway, I'm sure those who want it will get it, but I think it's been worth highlighting the apparent lack of the English soundtrack.  Also, is the NTSC standard of the DVD an issue?  It's still Region 2, but having just looked at a random DVD, ours do seem to say PAL on the back.  Anyone know if that's an issue?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

The PAL/NTSC thing probably won't be an issue for a lot of people...AFAIK many modern TVs handle NTSC signals fine, and DVD players will probably convert NTSC disc playback to PAL60 anyway (it might be menu-selectable).[Happosai]
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Does seem awfully expensive and its disappointing that there wont be English subtitles, but maybe this will prompt a release of a English Language DVD set?
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I've let the person looking for a distributor know about this new release; I don't know if it'll make any difference, but it does at least lend some weight to the argument that there's a market for the show - particularly when it wasn't actually all that popular in Japan. Just continue to keep your fingers crossed on the English DVD front....
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator