1st class DVD Compatible VCD's

Chat about collectables, videos
simoncoverdale

Post by simoncoverdale »

Morning all,Thanks for the comments and mails everyone, its made doing the VCD's worth it.My biggest regret was not capturing Street Hawk a few months ago. I now have my smashing Sky system connected directly to the capture card so can make excellent 'grabs'. Early tests are superb.If anyone can let me know if Bravo are planning a repeat, I'll do it. Roll on "www.StreetHawkDirect.com"!Regards,SIMON COVERDALEwww.StarFleetDirect.comwww.TerrahawksDirect.com
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

The only downside to getting them off Bravo, if you did it, would be the fact that they carry the Bravo logo. This I know because someone has done captures from Bravo (just clips, although presumably the full series is out there somewhere now) for their website. Here are the two main sites, BTW, as there seems to be some interest - as I've said, it's a series I'll be doing a one-pager on at some point...http://streethawk.tvheaven.com/http://w ... yperthrust away ;)
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Update: I haven't been able to spot confirmation anywhere else, but there is this page:http://special.reserve.co.uk/listings/e ... V1098Looks like that petition paid off!  None of the bigger stores seem to have heard of it yet, though...Addendum: oh, this is starting to look more like it's on - small mention halfway down the page:http://www.btinternet.com/~screeny/news.htm
Matt Darcy

Post by Matt Darcy »

Simon, I want a complete TerraHawks VCD collection please.Also I have tons of TV stuff I would love to see in AVI/MPEG format.Can anyone eplain how to do this I once tried it with an All in wonder TV card getting input to from my video but it didn't work.I would love to know how to do this as I have some great stuff to share.Matt.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

It's getting easier and cheaper...  The option I'm considering, a little further down the line, is a box of tricks which will convert analogue (from a video) to DV for connection to a firewire port.  Then it's just down to a bit of capture software, encoding et voila, one video file.  Quite easy to get firewire cards now, and my Creative Audigy has one built in which is why I'm thinking along the external box lines.  The other alternative which you seem to have tried would be a dedicated card for grabbing analogue - I think Canopus do them, Matrox also do a highly rated one - have a look at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/ as I think they have it A rated in their reviews.  A decent card (or the box I'm looking at) seem to come in at around the £250 mark.  Simon, you're using a Dazzle capture doohickey aren't you?  Is that a parallel port plug-in device?  A little fuzzy on that one...Heh. Oops. Take that £250 figure and multiply it by three (at least) for the Matrox card. No wonder I'm thinking about the box!
Matt Darcy

Post by Matt Darcy »

Interesting comments Andy.I like the idea of connecting to the PC via firewire.I don't want to change my video card as video capture cards (ATI ALL IN WONDER) was crap for games.How could I connect the video to firewire ?? is this possible now ? what software would I need. What quality would it get.More question.............etc etc
Matt Darcy

Post by Matt Darcy »

Oh yes has any one tried this.Eric this is what I was trying to speak to you about but my email was goosed.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

This is what the box I'm looking at would do - it would take the VHS signal, translate the audio and video into DV, and then pass that to the Firewire port. The nice thing is that you can then output back out again, which some video cards and grab devices wouldn't let you do - so you could go analogue-DV-edit-DV-analogue. In theory, anyway! It's a Canopus ADVC 100 (might be 1000) - try www.simplydv.co.uk for a review.
Shane

Post by Shane »

It sounds similar to the Dazzle unit I use, which works via a USB port. The Breakout box has analogue Ins and Outs also.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
simoncoverdale

Post by simoncoverdale »

Morning all,This is a quick message to all those looking for my site(s). At the moment www.StarFleetDirect.com is down, but the site can be reached at www.StarFleetDirect.moonfruit.comwww.Te ... Direct.com remains unaffected. If anyone can recommend a good hosting-type company who are reliable and manage to respond to your emails and actually could give a toss about their customers, could they mail me with their details.Regards,SIMON COVERDALEwww.StarFleetDirect.moonfruit.comwww.TerrahawksDirect.moonfruit.com