X-Bomber DVD Box Set

Chat about collectables, videos
Shane

X-Bomber DVD Box Set

Post by Shane »

X Bomber DVD images: As you can see the graphic design is pretty good except for the front covers, which are the same for each volume with just a couple of images from each particular episode arc.The 16 page booklet is very nice with profiles of all the characters, ships and episodes.In all fairness to fireball/mark or whoever, his description was accurate (2 discs in the 5th volume) But if you Cry Wolf to often, one day the bad ole wolf is gonna bite yo ass. So to speak.Shane.(Edited by Shane at 6:46 pm on Dec. 6, 2002)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Shane

X-Bomber DVD Box Set

Post by Shane »

Unfortunately no, although the menus look nice.The Space Quest for F01 disc, which is one of the Star Fleet compilation movies does have a Japanese subtitle option though, so our Japanese chums will get a taste of proper X Bomber action. Also between each episode is a short teaser for next weeks episode. These didn't appear on the laserdisc version as far as I know, I'll have to check.It would be interesting to know just how many Japanese fans of X Bomber there are after 22 years. I wonder if they might actually enjoy the Space Quest disc more, what with the electro soundtrack and everything.Shane.
FZeroOne

X-Bomber DVD Box Set

Post by FZeroOne »

Wow, that would be worth it just for that shot of Commander Makara alone...!One thing I noticed, its a Pioneer release - and Pioneer are one of the larger anime distributors in the West. I wouldn't get anyones hopes up, but a US release is not entirely beyond the realms of possibility ( ADV are releasing some rather obscure stuff that isn't even overly popular in Japan, OTOH Pioneer tend to release newer stuff... )
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
FZeroOne

X-Bomber DVD Box Set

Post by FZeroOne »

Well, no harm in asking - I've just e-mailed Pioneer Animation USA to see what they say. Will let you know!
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Shane

X-Bomber DVD Box Set

Post by Shane »

Yeah that's something to think about. We might not be able to get a release in the UK but Pioneer might have the muscle to push it in the US. I mean they were the only country to get the whole series the first time around. And like you say more obscure stuff than Star Fleet has been released before.Do Pioneer have a UK division or equivelent?How does Enoki feature in all this now then? do they still own the Japanese rights? or have Pioneer bought the lease or the rights outright?Good luck with the email FZeroOne, let us know what they say.Shane.
AndyThomas

X-Bomber DVD Box Set

Post by AndyThomas »

*Will Smith mode* Now that's what I'm talking about! */Will Smith mode*Alright, I take it back. Maybe they are worth the money! Mind you, the Japanese seldom do things by halves. I've had some interesting conversations with a gentleman in the industry recently, and apparently the English version created over here definitely went back to Japan. My guess is that they also got hold of the Space Quest compilation at around that time before Enoki's US branch then had the English version transferred over to them for the '87 release into the US rental market.I've asked Enoki about this Japanese edition but haven't had any feedback. What I imagine has happened is that Enoki Japan are a different wing to Enoki USA, and Enoki Japan have licensed Pioneer to do this Japanese release with Enoki USA none the wiser. However, were Pioneer to publish in the US I think Enoki USA would then be approached because it's my understanding that they do still have the English version on Betamax of all things. It was originally filmed using 16mm which is apparently quite sturdy, but whether it still exists in that totally original version I don't know.Oh, and incidentally, as Shane's mentioned fansubs before - apparently it would be possible, in theory, to re-create Star Fleet using the Japanese material although it'd require significantly more investment to do that as opposed to just re-releasing the pre-produced version.When all's said and done, I don't think the success or failure of this release will have a direct impact on us getting a version but what I am hoping is that some word of mouth might spread. I think companies are increasingly looking for material they can recycle because, after all, all the production costs have already been ploughed into it.I'll be interested to hear how the DVDs compare with the laserdiscs for quality, Shane, particularly as you've mentioned the DVDs do have additional footage as compared to the laserdiscs.Mark, I apologise if I was overly short with you earlier. Nevertheless, as Shane says, you are very much the boy who cried wolf on numerous fronts and on the Net trust is something that you have to earn. It can be a difficult environment at times because you have to infer meaning into what others have written. However, your track record does seem pretty clear and it's not just me who has that opinion. I'm not going to ban you, I'm just asking that you consider very carefully whether you really need to ask a question that's already been answered and whether you're posting purely to get attention, before you post. That's it.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

X-Bomber DVD Box Set

Post by FZeroOne »

Shane - Pioneer have unfortunately not been active in the UK anime market for a few years. They of course have a UK arm, but I don't know if its involved in *any* media releases in the UK; it may just just be hardware only. I'm also not sure if they've been involved in licensing any anime titles to other companies in the UK; last I heard of their previous releases was on the Sci-Fi Channel and Cartoon Network ( Tenchi Muyo ).