Lamia Replica

Chat about collectables, videos
Zordon

Lamia Replica

Post by Zordon »

http://japaneseclass.jp/trends....8%89%A6found this while doing a monthly search for new pics.looks like a nice replica of Lamia.I've included a link so if anyone can translate it we can find out where to get a Lamia puppet/ doll
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Zordon

Lamia Replica

Post by Zordon »

and this for the old marmit dollhttp://www.robotsite.it/sitojak....ber.htm
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Bladez636

Lamia Replica

Post by Bladez636 »

It's certainly just as beautiful as the original.... My God, I'm starting to sound like a typical anime fanboi...With that statement in the DVD making of documentary, I kinda wondered why they couldn't just make replicas of the puppets in the end. A lot of replicas end up pretty accurate to the originals. I've seen replicas of Anderson puppets and models that look really perfect. A model of Phones from "Stingray" in particular.
Vanessa

Lamia Replica

Post by Vanessa »

Hey, well done Zordon, good searching there!The first replica does indeed look very accurate, and well made too.Looking at the image, it also shows the head removed with no hair, etc... and a cord coming out of the base of the neck. I wonder if this is actually a puppet, with that cord there to allow operation of the mouth or eyes?The second "Marmit" doll is clearly a generic doll dressed in an outfit roughly resembling Lamia's. I guess I'd have been more impressed if I hadn't seen the first one LOL!Still, mustn't grumble I suppose, considering the dearth of X-Bomber/Star Fleet merchandise out there.It is a great pity that accurate replicas of the original puppets/ships weren't made (or so it seems, as none have come to light, yet...)If they had, maybe that mooted second series might've been produced? Well, I can speculate... As we now have 3D laser scanners and 3D SLA "printers", that are accessible, if not (yet) affordable for the home market, I wonder how long it'll be before someone markets a program that can assemble an accurate 3D CAD model from a 2D screen image, given enough shots from different angles. If that happens, then Sci-Fi fans everywhere will be able to "download" 3D CAD models of all their favourite characters and ships, and get them actually created in 3D via SLA solid model printers.Then we could all get our hands on accurate Star Fleet replicas Certainly for the Military and Aerospace industries, there now exist 3D laser sintering machines that can create objects in metal, as well as a variety of polymers, including various surface finishes and material qualities such as hardness, tensile strength, ductility etc...They are "mega-£££" at the moment though So one simply creates a CAD model, or uses a 3D laser scanner to scan and model an existing design, and then they just press the "print" button and a short while later, the finished article is available. Requiring other no human input to create it. This is one way far Eastern companies can so easily and accurately copy expensive Western goods, for the counterfeit trade.I just want a gadget I can plug into my Laptop, load up a Star Fleet DVD, choose a ship or character and press "print", and out comes an accurate replica, in a scale of my choosing (within reason!).I'm sure such tech is on the way, it's just a matter of waiting...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Lamia Replica

Post by Shane »

I always look to the 3D Clone Wars animated series for how a new series of Star Fleet should be done now. Lucas himself has been quoted as saying how the figure designs are based on the puppet style of Thunderbirds, and they do resemble said puppets with lots of 'cheating' texture shading. I think some people don't get this fact when they unfairly compare it against the more photo-realistic 3D animation out there.Love your thinking process Vanessa. The tech is almost certainly within our reach, although for the man or woman in the street it will probably be unafordable for the foreseeable future. Bloody Government.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Lamia Replica

Post by Crash »

You would love the "AGE Builder" from Gundam AGE.Download the second episode in 720p and watch it in action in the second-half of the episode.You can buy a build-it-yourself 3d printer for about £1,000.

Dream big and bold and daring.
Mach1na

Lamia Replica

Post by Mach1na »

Clone Wars is an excellent show. I think they will make at least 5 seasons.
Even in Death, I still Serve
Vanessa

Lamia Replica

Post by Vanessa »

I must confess I'm not really a Star Wars fan, so I didn't have much initial interest in Clone Wars. But recently I sat down and watched the movie and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it.I liked the fact that the characters were given their own style of appearance, rather than just trying to re-create the original actors/movie characters in CGI.I'm not surprised that they have been compared to Thunderbirds-style puppets, as I think it was a wise decision to create stylised caricatures rather than attempt photo-realistic figures, ships, etc...Star Fleet wisely followed this route as well, and when Anderson departed from such a formula, the resulting shows were less successful.A "Clone Wars" style Star Fleet update/new series would sit well with today's audience. Although, I must say that the quality of the latest animated series of ThunderCats is also very high.I must check out Gundam AGE to see what you mean Crash. I do like the plethora of Gundam kits available to allow fans to build and re-create their favourite characters.I have had a look into 3D printers and you are right, build-it-yourself kits and plans are available for around the £1k mark. Their resolution and finishing quality isn't quite there yet though, but they are getting better with each new iteration. The commercial machines tho' are now really amazing. And there are a lot of companies out there that will accept your CAD models and create the "real" models for you. The variety of materials and finishes are quite good now as well.I think it won't be too long before we'll be able to buy good resolution desktop 3D printers from the likes of Curry's/PCWorld, etc...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Lamia Replica

Post by Crash »

You'll love AGE. It's the closest thing to all the great, action kids shows that we all still love at the moment. I challenge anyone to find a TV show on the air at the moment with anywhere near as a good a soundtrack.The Clone Wars stuff was based on Thunderbirds re: the appearance of the characters. They came right out and said that.Interestingly, if you watch the show in 1080p, especially, you see that the animation quality is a bit ... naff and it hasn't really improved much since the first season. I'd say that, its much worse than older shows such as the New Captain Scarlet, Dan Dare, the amazing and little-known Chinese-animated sci-fi Zentrix.Even later series of ancient kids CGI shows like Max Steel and Xcalibur compare very favourably against the identical, dull, 2-dimensional, cheaply-post-processed textures in Clone Wars.Everything looks as though it's made out of the same material. Even things that should be ahiny and 'Phong-shaded' (as they did, even in the very first season of the very first CGI TV show; Reboot) aren't. (Phong is a character in Reboot because he was shiny and Phong-shaded).There aren't as many Gundam kits being made atm. due to obvious infrastructure problems in Japan and the slowdown.But!!! the fact that new models are being made from my beloved Gundam SEED means that the new, re-animated SEED Blurays won't be far-off!!!The Gundam kits basically saved BanDai from bankruptcy a few years back. They are massive but they aren't licensed for sale outside of Japan. I still build them anyway.
Dream big and bold and daring.