UK DVD release

Chat about collectables, videos
Darthdc

UK DVD release

Post by Darthdc »

Its not the only critical review - another one appears in DVD/BluRay Review - going on the same points: Shabby dubbing, shabby puppets, shabby everything. The thing is did these writers watch the show as a kid back in the 80s?At least the release date as been confirmed as 9th Feb. Just over a week to go.
May the Force be with you!
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

Good find there,Hmm, that is a surprise. I mean the voice-acting in the series wasn't fantastic but to give the show a slating just because of that makes for a really badly weighed in my view.I mean the show probably wasn't shot that brilliantly in the first place. The show is 30 years old - it's not HD battlestar galactica like they're used to pirating off of bittorrent.Who is gonna care less about voice acting when it's a nostalgia kids show? I mean lets wake up here guys.Yeah - I haven't read the article and have never read this Mag but I'm altogether disinclined to buy it now.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

I read the Sci-Fi Now article earlier. I have to admit, it irked me. SFX are much better when reviewing retro stuff like this. They usually farm the review out to someone who remembers the show with fondness. Instead, Sci-Fi Now farmed it out to a pillock who clearly wasn't about in the 80s or just didn't watch it. Either that or they were into Terrahawks FFS!Just over a week to go and I can't wait. I'm not pre-ordering as I don't want to take the chance that it won't turn up on the day of release. Instead, I'll be nipping out of work to get it as soon as I can on Monday morning!
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
djdust

UK DVD release

Post by djdust »

Sci-Fi Now is a cheap nasty little rag - I never agree with anything written in it - most of the time it's almost as if the writers deliberately go out of their way to be as controversial as possible so i wasn't remotely suprised by their poisonous little review. At one point they criticise it for trying to be too much like Star Wars and claim that Star Wars looked better so why did the X-Bomber people bother. Clutching at straws or wot?? F*&king idiots...  

F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
Darthdc

UK DVD release

Post by Darthdc »

I suppose they're comparing X-Bomber to the X-wing and the Imperial Cruiser to the Imperial Star Destroyer. It would be wrong to say Star Wars wasn't an influence. Besides, there were loads of sci-fi shows on at the time, all because Star Wars was the big thing then.I agree that these critics are not to be taken seriously. I enjoyed the show when I was a kid and I'm sure I'll enjoy it again when I get it through the post.
May the Force be with you!
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

^^ By Lucas' own admission, Star Wars is a derivative piece of work, taking inspiration and direction from countless sources. For Sci-Fi Now to criticise Star Fleet for being derivative of Star Wars is ill-advised at best, totally moronic at worst.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

I mean it would be nice to try and do Fab Films a favour and write a few letters sticking it to these magazines but they'd just not publish them or decry us a bunch of loonies with a vested interest.
Shane

UK DVD release

Post by Shane »

Star Fleet and Japan's original X Bomber, particularly, just isn't every-one's cup of tea. I would say it pays homage to Thunderbirds and Star Wars rather than ripping them off. (And like you say - Lucas had no qualms about ripping off Kurosawa movies, 2001, Westerns, etc). Star Fleet did bring to the forefront Japan's superiority when it comes to Giant combining robots, or mecha, and that was certainly new and fresh in the UK in 1982, There was only really BOTP that was in the same ball park, but that was animation.You'd like to think the people who review these type of releases would realise that it is a cult show and rough around the edges, and not the latest CGI spectacular. You can just imagine them reviewing Bagpuss, and slagging it off for not being realistic enough, or that Professor Yaffle's acting is particularly wooden.As for the picture quality - I'm sure it's just fine, particularly after 25 years of watching shoddy-looking VHS copies.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

UK DVD release

Post by AndyThomas »

Hm. Good to see it getting some publicity, even if it's not the greatest. You have to remember - the original film is over 20 years old and it was filmed for television, not cinema. So no, it isn't Star Wars remastered quality - that would have cost an incredible amount (both in time and budget) for 8 hours of footage and you have to be realistic about the budget here. Critical of the voice acting? It's a kids TV show! What will have happened is, they've watched a bit, found it's not as crisp etc as they remember / anticipated, and let that colour their views. Fair enough, objectively speaking, but you have to be realistic... I'm sure everyone will draw their own conclusions.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

Every kids animation has terrible voice acting, ESPECIALLY when it's dubbed from a foreign language. Who has ever watched ANY Anime, dubbed into English and thought "ooh the voice acting's good? That's no reason to dislike the show though. Even Appleseed; the modern japanese CGI spectacle has that problem.They coulda made just the same criticisms of Terrahawks or Thunderbirds or... Gundam SEED. The only difference would be that no-one would buy their m/rag again.Although; Sci-Fi Magazine knew about Enoki's attempt to take down a certain website and quoted from their email.10/10 for researching around the subject but I would certainly criticise their judgements.