Episode transcripts

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
felice

Episode transcripts

Post by felice »

Since there seems to be some support for the idea of writing up transcripts of the episodes, I'll try to do episode one this weekend. (Well, from the beginning to my best guess at where the first episode is supposed to end, since I'm using the edited US VCDs - someone who has the individual episodes will need to check it and add any missing bits). Once that's done, volunteers will be most welcome to do other episodes (but not before, so we can ensure a consistent style). Post here before starting a transcription - we don't want to duplicate effort.
AndyThomas

Episode transcripts

Post by AndyThomas »

This could be a project and a half... Having done the screen grabs for my episode guide quite recently I'm not sure I want to be watching the episodes again quite so soon. Perhaps it would help, Felice, if you tell people exactly what you mean by "transcripts". Just a write-up of the dialogue by character saying it? If you kept it basic like that you might well find it's not too difficult as a lot of the show is action rather than speech. Of course, once that's done, the fun part would be adding in the descriptions of all the shots, entrances, exits and so on - basically bringing it up more to a screenplay type level. Any volunteers then?!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
felice

Episode transcripts

Post by felice »

I'll let you know once I've done the first one, to get a better idea of the work involved.
felice

Episode transcripts

Post by felice »

Episode One is done...http://starfleet.randomstatic.net/Any suggestions, corrections, additions (especially from anyone with an uncut version), etc?
AndyThomas

Episode transcripts

Post by AndyThomas »

Just had a quick look - you've done well to include the actual descriptions of the action with pans and such like. Do you have experience in the industry? How long did this first one take? I'll try and run through episode 1 myself and see if I've got anything to add...
Bradster

Episode transcripts

Post by Bradster »

Very nice work so far. You used a pretty standard script format there -- surely you *must* have other experience in this field.I would like to help, but I don't have full episodes. Rather, I also have the US 8-volume compilations. I believe F-Zero-One has a listing of episodes that includes what was cut from the US tapes and point out where the episodes begina and end. Of course, they aren't *full* transcripts...(Edited by Bradster at 7:37 pm on Oct. 28, 2002)
AndyThomas

Episode transcripts

Post by AndyThomas »

Yup, Daz's site will be the best for the first four episodes that he's covered as he's got the UK episodes for comparison. I've also got some of them so I can compare and contrast up to a point. My own episode guide also splits things down by episode, but it's a bit more of a guess in terms of when precisely one episode finishes and another begins. The US tapes make things even harder because some of the cuts effectively mask what should be a cliffhanger moment which would flag the next episode - the mines episode being a classic example...
felice

Episode transcripts

Post by felice »

No, I don't have any experience (yet; I'm planning to change that as soon as I'm rich and have lots of free time ;) - I just did a bit of research in to how scripts are supposed to be formatted.As to how long it took me... too long, but a big chunk of that was figuring out the formatting, where to put scene breaks, how much detail to provide, who the characters are (is that Carter on the radio to the first EDF pilot, or someone else?), etc. Subsequent episodes should go a lot faster.Bradster - don't worry about only having the edited version of the show; if you want to help, pick an episode 8) People with the uncut version can fill in the gaps later.