UK DVD release

Chat about collectables, videos
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

^^ Probably a couple of factors on the remastering point. Firstly, you say remastering these days and it evokes an impression that the picture will be pristine, almost like you've taken an old VHS copy and knocked out something in HD. More often than not with something this old, that's just not going to happen.Second, and more important, if they've seen the Japanese DVD picture quality, they're probably wondering why the picture couldn't have been that good. As big an improvement as the DVDs are over the VCD/VHS copies we've previously seen, they're not as good as the Japanese DVDs.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Darthdc

UK DVD release

Post by Darthdc »

Just to reaffirm that those Sci-Fi mags are talking utter rubbish. If you haven't yet got it, get it.Just one gripe - the rather unnecessary flash back episodes. Not just that they don't help the plot but that the clips feature utterly different dialogue.Thought the documentry good, but short. Gerry Anderson didn't say much though.
May the Force be with you!
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

He strikes me as one of those people whom you have to bring outta their shell to talk.You could tell that much from the publicity-reel thing that he 'narrated' / voice-presented in order to get funding for the New Captain Scarlet. Is a real shame - The mind behind Tracy Island and Hawknest not having a chance to open-up...
Dream big and bold and daring.
Joe Meredith

UK DVD release

Post by Joe Meredith »

(Darthdc @ Feb. 18 2009,19:23)QUOTEJust to reaffirm that those Sci-Fi mags are talking utter rubbish. If you haven't yet got it, get it.Just one gripe - the rather unnecessary flash back episodes. Not just that they don't help the plot but that the clips feature utterly different dialogue.Thought the documentry good, but short. Gerry Anderson didn't say much though.We were lucky - in the original Japanese series there was another flashback episode, after Lamia had been imprisoned by the Alliance - Makara and Orion watched the highlights of their more recent battles on TV whilst getting drunk on some very red drink! I think this was between episode 17 and 18
Lina Inverse 2k

UK DVD release

Post by Lina Inverse 2k »

I'm back! It's been a long time.Finally received my DVD box set today. Took a little longer to arrive from Amazon than expected, not surprising really given the current economic climate. Fabulous Films I guess don’t want to be saddled with a lot of unsold copies so are probably only producing just enough supply to meet demand. A very sensible move on there part I think.I’ll probably start viewing the set today. Looking forward to comparing it to my original Japanese DVD set & my original 1st gen Central Television recordings. Curious to see what print Fabulous struck the DVD’s from, as I know there were at least two that Central used back in the 80’s. It may however be a different one altogether.I’m surprised about the reports about poor picture quality, what are you guys & gals using as a display type. If it’s LCD or Plasma then that’s your problem, from experience they simply are not as good as CRT. Grain appears much worse & images pixelate/blur with motion. It’s a shame you can’t buy a good CRT set these days but they were getting far too large & heavy which is why they were phased out.
Lina Inverse 2k

UK DVD release

Post by Lina Inverse 2k »

The verdict so far with two episodes watched is good, no complaints from me in terms of the image quality & sound. Everything was as I expected with none of the pixelation or noise issues that others have reported.For those of you who are interested, I’m using an older multi-region conversion mid-range Pioneer DVD player & Sony Trinitron CRT television with a standard 21-pin scart connection. Granted, the X-Bomber original has better image clarity in comparison but one has to factor in the conversion process used to create the Star Fleet masters.I’ll write up a more comprehensive review when I’ve watched all of the episodes, which is only fair.Take care,Graham.
FZeroOne

UK DVD release

Post by FZeroOne »

(Serenity @ Feb. 16 2009,15:18)QUOTEGo Nagai actually references the show as both Star Fleet and X-Bomber at certain points in the interview. Personally, I'd lay the blame for that at the feet of the people conducting the interview. Chances are that it was them that were getting things mixed up and he was just too polite to say anything different.Can't think of too many times where he referenced the characters. The only one that comes to mind is when he namechecks Hercules, but then, he was Hercules in both versions. He didn't mention whether it was Barry or Bongo. From memory anyway.This might not be entirely unusual; occasionally a series that becomes famous abroad can be referred to by both names in Japan. "Tetsuwan Atom" merchandise, for example, can be bought in official Osamu Tezuka stores with "Astro Boy" logos, for example.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
jack18

UK DVD release

Post by jack18 »

i have 2 copies of the star fleet boxset have finished watching the first copy of the boxset am onto the second copy and i watched episode 5 today. on both copies i have both image and sound quality are brilliant. even a friend who watched 2 episodes with me said the picture quality is great and the souund is clear.
djdust

UK DVD release

Post by djdust »

gotta ask, why two copies? the picture/quality would be identical on both of them....
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
jack18

UK DVD release

Post by jack18 »

hi one to borrow to any of my friends and one for me to watch when the other copy is being borrowed out.