UK DVD release

Chat about collectables, videos
Bradster

UK DVD release

Post by Bradster »

(Crash Override @ Aug. 24 2009,08:33)QUOTESadly I think Star Trek lived and died with Gene Roddenberry. When he died during the making of DS9 you could see the progression through Voyager and First Contact etc of Star Trek coasting into cheap pop-sci-fi. Enterprise - I just ignore it. It could easily have been a really good series it just hurts too much to watch it sometimes because of that.*sigh* So true.
Shane

UK DVD release

Post by Shane »

Never much of a fan of Star Trek really, although Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Kahn is a great film, and DS9 was pretty good in that the reset button wasn't always pushed at the end of an episode. It was obviously very much like B5 too, which I absolutely used to adore.I'm actually watching Blake's 7 at the moment in preparation for an essay on TV genres. I'll be studying Blake's 7 and Survivors in detail, 2 shows from the BBC in the 1970s with very low budget effects, but were well written for the most part.Star Trek and Doctor Who are thoroughly explored in the course materials and it seems to be true that Star Trek always works best when it was being allegorical. After watching the new movie version of Star Trek, (which I didn't mind) it seems they're looking to go into the whole Star Wars space opera style, which is fine, but misses the original point of the show.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Son Of Chronos

UK DVD release

Post by Son Of Chronos »

So finally got my DVD SET yay!!Cost me 23quid found a good deal on ebay, I first went and checked HMV but it was 40quid !!! infact alot of them on ebay even were 40quid or around that, the price has sure gone up slowly.Got me thinking do you reckon this DVD set itself might become a rare collecters item?I mean you got to think that they never produced many discs in the first place, since they must have known their sales would not be braking any records, (hence lack of soundtrack )Well Im glad i got it when i did, thanks to sfxb!!funny enough in the seleves I came across another old show I used to watch as a kid but forget what it was called errie indiana, they have the box set for that too, great.
Zordon

UK DVD release

Post by Zordon »

I got mine for £38.00 back when it had just come out. i still have to sit down and watch it propperly.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Darthdc

UK DVD release

Post by Darthdc »

I wonder if it'll get the MCOG treatment and be rereleased in slimline packaging.Going back to an earlier thread, before the DVD was even in the works, the number of people I found who hadn't got a clue what this show was, despite it being huge.
May the Force be with you!
Vanessa

UK DVD release

Post by Vanessa »

Well, it's better late than never, but I've finally got to own my own Star Fleet DVD boxset.A friend at work originally lent me his copy, which led to me remembering the show, loving it again, and subsequently writing my prequel.Money's tight right now, but I decided to treat myself to my own copy for xmas, and I'm very glad I did.I have noticed that I seem to have a wrongly-made comic booklet in the set though, as my book's last page is 52, and it says on the back that it's a 56 page booklet. No wonder the story just seemed to stop. Anyone tell me what happens on pages 53 to 56?I'm also confused by a flyer from Fabulous Films included in the set. It's a red pamphlet with pictures of the boxes of some of their 80's TV boxset releases. On the front of this pamphlet is an advert for "Coming Soon, Star Fleet (X-Bomber)", and shows a picture of a different box cover. This has the Star Fleet Logo at the top, with Dai-X in the middle of it, with a shot of the X-bomber crew below this. (this is the same shot that appears on one side of the (badly creased) poster I got with my boxset.Anyone know why Fabulous films are releasing a different Star Fleet DVD set? Does it have the same stuff inside it as the boxset I have?My apologies if this topic has already been asked, as I said, I'm a bit late arriving to this forum.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
felice

UK DVD release

Post by felice »

I assume the pamphlet was printed before the box cover was finalised, and the advert version was just a preliminary mockup. There wouldn't be a different version of the boxset.
Vanessa

UK DVD release

Post by Vanessa »

Well, that would make sense, but I have seen on many occasions this other DVD boxset for sale on ebay, so it must exist. Before I saw the Fabulous Films flyer in my DVD boxset, I thought that this other Star Fleet DVD set was a bootleg copy of some sort, that you occasionally used to see on ebay. But no, it's a genuine other Star Fleet DVD set.The only thing I can think of is that it's a Slimline version, with just the discs and none of the bonus material? In a similar fashion to the Mysterious Cities of Gold Full DVD boxset & slimline versions that you can buy.Also:I contacted the ebay seller I bought my SF DVD boxset from, about the missing pages in the comic booklet, and two days later they had sent me another, complete, comic booklet with no missing pages. What service! I was very impressed, thank you Fab-Direct.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
FZeroOne

UK DVD release

Post by FZeroOne »

I've just been asked something similar on another forum and having checked the Play.com site they are listing a "slimline" Star Fleet DVD set for £17.99.

"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Vanessa

UK DVD release

Post by Vanessa »

Ahh, that would explain it then. Thanks for the reply I wonder if any of the bonus stuff actually on the discs is included, or whether its just the TV episodes only?
Evasive Manoeuvres!