SF Models for Poser?

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
Shane

SF Models for Poser?

Post by Shane »

This is mainly for Bradster, Nigel and Andy. Is their any possibility of converting the models you have constructed so far into a prop style format for Poser? I think it's pp.2 (I'm not certain) It would be really cool to be able to use some Star Fleet models within Poser.Thanks,Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

SF Models for Poser?

Post by AndyThomas »

Which reminds me, I must remember to post Nigel's models up on the site - I don't know if you'd be able to convert them Shane, I didn't have much joy, but I'll try and get them up later this week.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

SF Models for Poser?

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, generally conversions work fine for the basic structure because after all it's just a bunch of dots defined in 3 dimensions relative to one another.  The skins, though, plus material effects (e.g. plastic, metal etc) are something else and of course different software will do them differently.  I'm sure conversions between certain well-known progs are well catered for, but I don't know if Poser would be included within that.  Perhaps if we know what Poser CAN import, we could go via another format if there were problems.  Bit nightmarish, but there you go...
Shane

SF Models for Poser?

Post by Shane »

Well Poser imports model files in DXF, BVH, 3DMF, Wavefront OBJ, 3D Studio and Painter3D formats. So it's definitely feasable if a little long winded. I wouldn't need the textures so I can't see that being a problem. But anyway....Shane.
AndyThomas

SF Models for Poser?

Post by AndyThomas »

For those who'd like them, a Zip file of Nigel's lightwave objects can now be downloaded from:http://www.sfxb.co.uk/sfgfx/starfleet.zipRight click, save target as...
NC

SF Models for Poser?

Post by NC »

I'm still about :)It seems I get less and less time these days, i've got at least 2 projects to finish, and another I should have already started :(Arghhhh still better than being bored.If anyone wants that model in a different format let me know, I can do LW7.x, LW5, 3DS and OBJ, can't even remember what format it already is :)Nigel
Shane

SF Models for Poser?

Post by Shane »

Hiya Nigel. Long time no see. An OBJ version of your Imperial fighter would be just what the doctor ordered.I have a half finished Dai X that could do with a few Imperial fighter props to play with. ;)Cheers.Shane.
NC

SF Models for Poser?

Post by NC »

I will sort out and OBJ send it over to Andy for posting, the problem is the .x is going to be slow going for a real time game, also the X exporter won't do it, just keeps crashing, the best thing would be to load the obj or 3ds version into something else and use it as a template for a game model.CheersNigel