Bomber Landing

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
AndyThomas

Bomber Landing

Post by AndyThomas »

Welcome to the forum - and good question! You're absolutely right about Callinian - when we see X-Bomber after landing, it has supports underneath it. Also in Moonbase, there's a lot of scaffolding around X-Bomber which suggests it's being supported. A lot of the times it's on the ground it's crash landed of course. However, on Molthane this wasn't the case and it does seem to be on the horizontal. The only vaguely reasonable solution I can come up with is that the bulk of X-Bomber's mass is at the rear of the ship. That being the case, there might be enough to counterbalance the neck and allow it to rest on the lower wings. There may also be some element of anti-gravity in play to maintain balance of course. At the end of the day it's like Voyager landing - you know it shouldn't really work but you accept it anyway!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Bomber Landing

Post by Shane »

I know it's not quite the same but to echo Andy's thoughts, the toy version of the X Bomber is balanced so that it can be placed on a surface without falling over.I guess in the show it's a case of a ship that size can land where the heck it likes at the end of the day.I'd be interested in knowing how the crew actually exit the vehicle. I would guess that there is some sort of elevator system under the midsection of the ship. But then as mentioned in another thread the fellas need chair transports to reach the same part of the ship. Maybe there is a larger unseen transport car which the whole crew can fit in, like a rollercoster carriage, which takes them to the elevator.Also has anyone ever thought that the name X-Bomber is a strange title for a vessel built for science exploration/defence? We don't actually see it perform any bombing runs either, it generally straffs it's targets. Ok the X-Cruiser doesn't have the same ring to it, but you get the idea.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Bomber Landing

Post by Crash »

Well it is a warship and noone makes any bones bout that in the series. I don't think it was designed at all for exploration but rather "in order to maintain a peaceful solar system" - (how sad am I?).And to be fair it does kick out vessels much bigger than itself.The way I saw it when I was writing the narrative for our game at this end is that it's bigger than a fighter but about as manouverable and smaller than a capital ship but with just as much firepower.And then there's the rather unspeakable similarity to the T65 Incom X-Wing Starfighter from a certain George Lucas movie ... I can't quite remember the name. I guess that has something to do with it.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Bomber Landing

Post by Shane »

It's certainly armed to the teeth, but I think that Dr Benn mentions that it's role originaly was more of a Star Trek type exploration vessel (although they are extremely well armed too). We come in peace. Shoot to kill. ;)There is no doubt though that the Earth featured in the series, although at peace, is very much military based. It makes you wonder just how much of the Earth's population survived all these Space Wars etc. Like Andy's said before it's all very similar to the Earth featured in B5. With the TV movie In The Beginning being a good pointer to how badly the Earth must have been effected after all these conflicts.What looks eutopian on the surface, with all these cool ships and equipment, is actually quite sinister really. Shane.(Edited by Shane at 11:37 am on Nov. 16, 2002)
Crash

Bomber Landing

Post by Crash »

Well, maybe not sinister, beleaguered perhaps.As for how folks get in and out the ship: don't they open some Volvo-esque tailgate to let lamia's buggy onboard in episode 2?I heard an audio-recording for that episode but obviously didn't see wether it showed you it or not.So any clues as to who these space wars were fought with then?
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Bomber Landing

Post by Shane »

>>Well, maybe not sinister, beleaguered perhaps.<<Yeah, sinister's not the word, maybe ever so slightly fascist in a StarShip Troopers style. All that Military hardware with no sign of civilians.... And they did let rip at those cute mon mons. My hunch is that the Space Wars were fought between Earth and her colonies. Shane.(Edited by Shane at 8:12 pm on Nov. 16, 2002)
AndyThomas

Bomber Landing

Post by AndyThomas »

Heh. Steady ;) In fairness to MYTV, although there are some "eh?!" moments in their tapes, they're trying to cover 8 hours of material in just one and a half hours. What the compilations tapes do, between Space Quest and Thalian Space Wars, is cover a couple of the main strands of the storyline. As I think I mention in my episode guide, you could split Star Fleet into 4 segments quite easily but the combinations are actually greater than that - for example, you could compile all the episodes featuring Captain Carter into their own storyline. Glad you liked the episode guide anyway...!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator