Brad's Dai X work in progress

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
CondorJoe

Post by CondorJoe »

i'll have too dig through my back issues. I'm not realy that good with 3D as I'm more a sculpter and cartoonist. But guess their comes a time to sit down and learn something new. At the moment it takes me all my time just to create a simple box structure. LOL
Matt Darcy

Post by Matt Darcy »

All I can say is, this stuff is stunning,I really mean it some really great skills here, VERY impressed.Good work chaps!!! you could do something really special.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Aha. Now I remember why I prefer doing "techie" things in 3D rather than real characters -- because I have this much talent --><-- when it comes to making organic meshes.To what am I refering? Dai-X's fists. Oh, the humanity! Basically, I just took a 4x1x1 cube and sliced and extruded the faces a lot until I got something that resembled a balled up fist. I think I either need to use a lot more polygons to smooth it out or use a lot less. On the other hand (no pun intended), we might not even be able to see the details in the hands in a video clip that isn't focused directly on them. Anyhow, without further ado, I present version 1.0 of the Dai-X fist:I don't know. Maybe I've just been looking at this mesh for too long and it isn't as bad as I think... ah well, back to work...PS. To Shane or Andy or any other 3D types: if you happen to have a spare fist mesh laying about, perhaps you could spot it my way. I don't mind cheating just a little bit on things like this. ;) Heheh.(Edited by Bradster at 4:31 am on Oct. 29, 2002)
Shane

Post by Shane »

I think your Dai X fists are pretty spot on the way they are. They only seem to be used as battering rams in the show anyway.I can get my hands on some... er.... human hand meshes if you need them, but I don't think they will be as chunky as your Dai X's. Shane.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Yeah, I'd been looking at them for over an hour and had gotten frustrated. Now that I look at them again today, they're not so bad. I think I'll keep 'em. (Edited by Bradster at 10:28 pm on Oct. 29, 2002)
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I'm with Shane - Dai-X never grabs anything in the series so there's no real need for him to have fully articulated hands. I imagine a Transformers style model would also get you suitable fists - in fact that green version of Dai-X made me think of Devestator!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

This evening I've taken some time to work in the inner parts of the Dai-X. I've constrcuted the basic supports for connecting the three modules, but most notably I have also nearly completed the insides of the Braincom module! Here's a snapshot comparing the closed version when junctioned and the open version when flying solo:The bottom image has the outer hull hidden so I can show the insides better. Again, I'm basing most of this on the manga drawing, but I'm also looking at clips of the show and taking a few artistic liberties as well.Oh, and, yes I just realized that I haven't added the little tips to the bottom half of the "X" -- that's an easy fix.Hopefully I'll be able to get a basic junction animation ready by the weekend.
CondorJoe

Post by CondorJoe »

Now thats the Dogs Bollocks thier Brad. Cant wait to see that baby transform. what with all the 20th anniversary stuff this month i bet you'll get loads of requests. Any plans too do an updated version of dai-X?
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Quote Quote: from CondorJoe on 11:57 am on Oct. 31, 2002Any plans too do an updated version of dai-X?You mean like Shane's Delta-Z or some other non-canon model?Maybe. ;) Though, I want to finish this one and get back to finishing my X-Bomber before I start any brand new models.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

That's really come together for you (no pun intended!) now Brad - those eyes look better as well? You've done a remarkable job actually realising all the ships without any hard and fast schematics to work from, and making them all transform as needed in the same models... Seriously folks, making models is one thing, but animating them is something else again so much kudos to Brad for this....
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator