Brad's Dai X work in progress

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I think you do need to compromise somewhere, because there are effectively three different Dai-X versions in the series. We've got Dai-X as the individual components, which need to look as if they can dock with one another to form the big guy (and perhaps as a subset of them, mid-transformation versions of them - particularly LegTrax). We've then got Dai-X as the "unmanned" puppet when in flight mode. In that mode Dai-X is always pretty rigid - just raising its head a little, its arms never bending etc. Finally we have the "manned" Dai-X, which is perhaps most obvious in the Death Ball episode, which has a wider range of movement and by necessity has to allow for more flexibility. I'd be interested to hear which version people actually find the most realistic? Shane, did your Japanese magazine have any comparison shots of the suit vs the model?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Mind if I ask what else you think needs changing or compromising? :confused:(or maybe I just misread the first line of your post?)This Dai-X is quite flexible the way I've constructed it, unlike the real model(s) used for the show. It can split apart for the individual Braincom, Mainbody, and Legtrack modules or it can stay together and jump and move about quickly like the "guy in a suit" model they used in the Death Ball scene you mentioned.I just put together a short animation to show that it really *does* move as you would expect. Though, the render estimates about two hours to completion; so, I won't be able to post it until the morning.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Sorry, what I meant was that in coming up with an "ultimate" version, if you like, it's actually impossible to create a Dai-X which looks precisely like the one in the series because, as you say, the series cheats! So I don't mean compromising in terms of quality in any way shape of form, just that I'm agreeing that in order to make a model which actually works as you want it to in all modes you have to be prepared to move away from the original slightly.What I'm actually curious about is how much the suit version of Dai-X differs from the model version of Dai-X, aside from the obvious difference in ground mobility. In a lot of the battles Dai-X is in the air in its combined form, and that's clearly the model version. When we see Dai-X on the ground we tend to see only from the torso upwards due to him stalking through canyons when on the move, the Death Ball episode showing a little more, however. At other points Dai-X seems to revert to the model on the ground, for example when his arm's straight out firing the laser cannon. Of course, I may be wrong about this - do you think that the flying model is just a rigid version of the suit worn by an actor? I can't really tell myself, I must admit...
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Here's that finished clip I refered to:"Even Big Red Robots need exercise sometimes."[img]http://brad.project-think.com/starfle....e movie (1 MB, requires QT6).:biggrin:Anyhow, yes, I see what you meant now about Dai-X and the models varying in shape and form. No sweat. ;) I do think there is a third (fourth?) smaller model of the flying Dai-X because I recall an episode where it spins around really quick (not the last episode... another one, I think) which would be difficult to do with such a large body. Hmm... it would be interesting to count all the variations on the different models. Makara's ship, for example, appears to have at least 3 variations.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Heh. One QT download later and I've viewed it. I hope the floorboards of the virtual environment have been reinforced! It does seem strange to see Dai-X so animated, actually, because of course he's so much bulkier in the series - at least in the way he walks. When he's smashing things it's another thing altogether... In terms of adjustments, Brad, I think what may be making the head look slightly out is the eyes. They're not quite rectangular and not quite as bright in the series, and possibly a little smaller, more of a black surround around them? Some good head shots in this montage:
CondorJoe

Post by CondorJoe »

That's some good stuff thier Brad. One question though what programe are you using to create the models?Anyone fancy a wack em smack em match with Brads Dai-X Verses Shanes Delta Z? My moneys on the Dai-X as it's the only one we have seen in action other than the clips of the Delta Z in shanes pilot video.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Brad's using the same software I recently bought, Cinema 4D. It was available on a PC Format coverdisk a little while back although that version was a couple of versions old, if you see what I mean. However, they had a discount deal which allowed me to get a slightly more recent version, which is why Brad's been good enough to put some tutorial style posts here for my benefit. As for Dai-X versus Delta-Z - logically the latter should win, because it's an upgrade of the former...
CondorJoe

Post by CondorJoe »

I've got that disc too and installed it tonight but for some reason it doesn't work that well do i have to get a serial number or is it on the disk. lost my copy of the mag as well doh. True about the Delta Z but old Xy's still got quite a punch. Anyone know how fast the two are in battle? Mike refers to Xy as Rocky and i think Delta's more of a quick punch then blast you while your down.Still no plans for an upgrade for omega yet as Future echoes comes way before all three. Don't know what mikes got planed yet.
Shane

Post by Shane »

To have the best of all possible Dai X's you would use Bradster's model for the component ships, the junction and for a high detailed static model with limited mobility. And then for when action scenes are required, move into POSER. You could create a stick model in POSER and give it Dai X's stomping atributes in a walk designer. Then it would be just a case of cutting up a copy of Brads model into the stick bodies component parts and pasting them onto the stick model. So you will effectively have a stick man wearing a Dai X suit capable of performing practically any possible movement.I've got my Delta Z model to perform some pretty tasty Kung Fu kicks as it happens. ;)Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I don't think there was a serial number, but in some ways it's a limited version of the product and you will need a reasonably quick machine for it. Plus it'll help if you've had some 3D design software experience. I cut my teeth some years back on the Amiga with software called Imagine. Even after I upgraded my machine it could be slow to run.