My version of the X Fighter

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

As mentioned in the thread welcoming Dr. Ben, one of the ships in need of building for Andy's Genesis story is the X Fighter, a ship that was designed by Star Fleet in the aftermath of the Imperial assault on Earth. This ship takes technology from salvaged Imperial Fighters and combines it with that of the Dai-X and existing EDF fighters to create a small but strong new fighter ship. In Genesis, Star Fleet has built a small legion of these ships to help fight and eventually commandeer an Imperial Battle Cruiser.Here are a few shots of how I had envisioned the X Fighter. Visually, it keeps the fins and cockpit area that are common to the EDF ships, it has the "power generators" (?) from the Imperial Fighters bolted to the sides, it retains a somewhat stocky shape and the red color reminiscent of the Dai-X, and of course the fins are arranged in the "X" shape like the X-Bomber itself.I would add weaponry on the front with some kind of piping tying it to the adapted Imperial power generators (as with the design of the Imperial Fighter), but I haven't thought about how that would look yet.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hey well done - I think it's a very smart job. I wonder what Andy might have to chip in on the subject.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I think that's a good, chunky, tough looking design. I don't know if I really visualised them to be honest! I don't think I actually thought of them having the X wing formation (someone might sue!) but it's a logical progression - they could even have wing-end weapons. I do have one request - my fiancee doesn't like the colour, she'd like them in silver, please!!!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Fair enough! Until I reshape it to accommodate some weapons, here's a polished silver edition of the X Fighter v1, large enough for the desktop.click for larger
Shane

Post by Shane »

Hi Bradster, I'm carrying the X-Fighter over into TROM and wanted to check out your visualisation of the craft, but the links no longer seem to work.Do you still have those images by any chance?
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

I think it should look more like a Thunderbolt Starfury.
Shane

Post by Shane »

In my mind's eye that's how I envisioned it would look like when Andy came up with the concept. I know Andy is a big B5 fan. I'd like to carry over any pre-existing designs though if possible. Other-wise I can always do a slight re-write and have the look of the Mk2 X-Fighters differ from the originals.

Crash

Post by Crash »

Yep, like a slightly alienised T-Bolt. Those ships were stellar after all.I have some drawings of my own because I wanted to add the ship to XBtG (see? I can do four-letter acronyms too!) as an Airstrike buddy late in the game. I seem to remember half-asking for this thread back in ... 2006 Hmm, that's right, but it just didn't feel quite as long ago as that.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yeah when I looked at the original date of this thread I was quite shocked - 5 years!Have you still got your concept sketch? I'd love to see it.I think I knocked out a rough X-Fighter sketch as well, but never put it online. Although in my head the concept kept shouting Starfury of the Thunderbolt variety, I actually came up with more of a gunship style concept which incorporated parts of the X-Bomber and an Imperial fighter. It was a nice idea for a new style vehicle, but I wasn't satisfied that it looked like an X-Fighter from Genesis.In my TROM tale the fighters outwardly look like human tech, but benefit from the study of Thalian tech.It might be that I go down the Mk2 route with this for the needs of my particular tale.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I think the fighters were described in Andy's story.Apparently they were quite heavily based on Alliance Tech and it read as though it showed, if memory serves. So I think some kind of crossbreed would be the ideal but a dark grey, angular thunderbolt-style machine just stays in my mind even so.My sketches of it for X-Bomber, from before I saw Brad's model, had a small turret in the nose in the style of an Apache gunship's camera pod and a gun in a pod on the end of each wing.I had in mind that it would mostly fired yellow shots.I'm not sure where those drawings are. I do a lot and they sometimes wander off.In Crime today I sketched the torso for my Mission 14 Boss.