STAR FLEET: ASTEROID ATTACK (demo)

Chat about creative work on other sites
Shane

Post by Shane »

Hiya, hope you all had a nice Christmas. In between the booze and turkey I had a little mess around with an arcade game construction kit that I bought for a fiver just before Christmas. Anyway I had a go at turning one of the little tutorial games called PULVERISER (an asteroid clone) into a Star Fleet style game, and the result can be found at my site's homepage. I've kept the basic PULVERISER engine and Asteroid animations, but have stripped the original sound out and have replaced it with some Star Fleet style blasts and explosions, I've also changed the original player sprite into an X Bomber which has worked really well, and there are now all new squadrons of astro fighters and bonus scoring dronecraft added.Anyway this is a very basic version of the main game which will come later, so be gentle. I've made the level available to play now fairly difficult and you only get one life, but it should give you an idea of where it's headed.I've got some great ideas for other levels, which will follow the plot of the show. Anyway have a go and see what you think.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Wow. A game that is not only reminiscent of games of the Star Fleet era, but was created using a piece of software almost as old as my own PC - which means I can actually play it! 'Raaay! Just one problem Shane - I'm now going to have repetitive strain in my left hand from hammering CTRL all the time! Best score is 205 so far. Great work - I like the way the XB is more colourful, closer to the French toys, really, isn't it? Works well, although it's a big so-and-so to try and steer! I think I'd rather take my chances in one of the Dai X fighters! Any chance of shields?! Ah, takes me back to Meteor on the BBC B though that... terrific stuff... You know, I probably saw that piece of software on the shelves at Game in 97/98 hundreds of times and never spared it a second thought. I had the 3D Construction Kit for the Amiga, that was quite entertaining.... Ah, the nostalgia of it all!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Post by Shane »

205 is a great score! thats around the figure that I normaly manage, but after the second loop it becomes nearly imposible. The X Bomber is actually digitised from a scan of the little red japanese x bomber toy which was put through a grey/blue tint and then a little sprinkling of coulour was added here and there. Like you say the X Bomber can be a bit of a pig to control at times due to the size of the sprite. I was actually thinking of having ship specific levels so maybe I could stick a braincom level in there (a duel between a carter drone fighter?) The joy of this package is that the actual technical aspects of the game are dead easy to program, it's just the animations that take a while to create.Right then 205 is the score to beat!Shane.
Matt Darcy

Post by Matt Darcy »

Love the Game. I want to see and internet / network game so I can play in work where 1 is brain com or X-Bomber - the other is Carter or The alliance cruiser and they have to fight amonst the metors (less of them plesase) in a 1 on 1 attack with moving objects.reckon it can be done ?? I think so I am ringing around mates asking for the C++ gamers suite.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Cheers MattThats a great idea. Theres an option to make internet games with my cheepo package, can't seem to get it to work though.A network game is a good idea. Definitely the way to go.Asteroid Attack is nearlly finished I've kept it basic with just a few levels but it should have a sheild power up option, and a lower asteroid count. ;)This was just a little game to get me started with the package. I've been working on a side scrolling shoot-em-up for a little while now on the side. I've incorperated power-ups in this one so there will be a: standard cannon, 3 way, main beam weapon, and wing lasers. When I've got something playable I'll stick it up. Incidently are there any mame users here:http://www.mame.dkThat site is a wonderland, checkout "SideArms" (a robo arcade classic!)Shane. (Edited by Shane at 6:21 pm on Feb. 6, 2002)
Shane

Post by Shane »

That's a fantastic idea Mike. A resource for artists and designers, full of Star Fleet graphics and sounds. That would save us all a lot of time.When you get it up on SFP I will send you a lot of the materials I used in my games etc, and I could definitely use any samples you might have going spare.Bang on!Shane.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

S'very good idea - I need to put something together for the 3D crowd as well, because it'll be the lack of reference material that holds things up if people are in the mood to get stuff done.  I'm hoping that as I can now get whole CDs onto my hard drive (!) I should be able to do useful breakdowns of my old CDRs - I don't know if I can justify the spend to be able to do my own grabs just yet...Oh, yes, forgot - did SFP end up with any desktop themes? I was looking at WinAmp skin creation the other day and it looked a bit involved, and it seems that Windows Mediaplayer has hijacked MP3 playing ability and also uses skins now...I've certainly got loads of oddments that have never made it to SFXB which might be of use - I'll have to do a major sort of my hard drive and try and rationalise it all a bit so that I can figure out what I've got...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator