TROM Prologue

Chat about creative work on other sites
Shane

TROM Prologue

Post by Shane »

I decided to write a short piece from the perspective of the F01 to be used as a Prologue for TROM. It focus's on Earths past in the Star Fleet universe which I felt needed explaining for my project.I realise I'm opening up a whole can of worms here as everyone is going to have there own version of what might have happened in the past but this is the one I will be using for my projects:Prologue.Earth. The 3rd planet of the Solar System. So Beautiful and fragile, yet in  the great scheme of things her role is of great importance. She has had to endure  a lot through the ages. 3 World Wars have taken there toll on her sacred soul  to the point where eternal darkness seemed her only destiny. Yet through the  ashes and rubble new life emerged and the Earth and it's new caretakers vowed  never to repeat their mistakes. And for a while they were true to their word.  The people of the Earth enjoyed a golden age of peace and prosperity. This new  Earth stood united as one people. Then half a millennium after Earths near extinction  It's people decided to outstretch it's hand and colonize the Solar System. This  sowed the seeds for a new dark period of Human history. Over The next few hundred  years the new colonise came to resent and fear Earth. Earth too was nervous  at what the colonies might be planning and so decided to build weapons of war  to defend itself. The colonies in turn armed themselves until each had it's  own Star Fleet. Then one hundred years ago the first of the dreaded Space Wars  broke out. This time the battlefield was the dark void of space and the tragic  conflict that followed extinguished a great number of souls. The 1st war endded  in stalemate when neither the Earth or the Colony forces could make any ground,  so an uneasy truce was called. This didn't last long though and within a few  years Space War 2 began. The colonies got the upper hand this time and retook  Moon Base the Earths last line of defense. The colonial forces offered the Earth  a choice, recognize the Moon and it's colonies as independent states or prepare  for a full planetary bombardment. Earth stood down and so Space War 2 came to  an end. There was peace for a time but ruled by fear. There was always an uneasiness  between Earth and the colonies. The colonies even became weary of Moon Base  and it's demands. But as fate would have it there would be a chance for reconciliation  but at a price. 10 years ago the entire Solar System was forced to put differences  aside and unite against a common foe: The Lost Colony. At the time of Earths  first venture into the Stars a great vessel was sent out to explore the far  reaches of space. The ship was so large that it had to be constructed in Earths  orbit. It was a self contained world that explored the neighboring galaxies.  Unfortunately over time it would become a dictatorship under the rule of an  evil General who craved power. All who opposed him were silenced the remaining  inhabitant's were forced into working for the General who amassed a large war  fleet. Those who did not serve were destroyed. When the time was right he eventually  turned his Attention to returning to the Solar System and retaking Earth and  his Colonies for himself. Space War 3 had begun and the Colonies and Earth would  have to work together to Survive. The Lost Colony fought it's way through the  system until it reached Earth itself. The resulting Battle was catastrophic.  But the Earth Defense Forces as they were now known fought their Attackers valiantly,  and thanks to a daring raid launched by Captain Carter they managed to penetrate  the Commandship's defenses and destroy it. While onboard the ship planting charges,  Carter activated the Computer log. He only managed to glimpse a little of the  information but it was enough to change Carter's perceptions forever. There  was a force out there in the far reaches of Space of great Evil, and it's time  was nearly at hand. After Space War 3 The Earth who had come to the defense  of it's colonies was chosen as the command Post for Earth and it's colonies  new: Star Fleet. Professor Hagen put forward his X Bomber Project as a small  scale exploration and defense vehicle that could defend the Earth from any possible  attack. When Professor Hagen went missing Captain Carter took it upon himself  to take the Professor's son Shiro a young cadet under his wing. He taught him  everything he knew and loved him like his own son. As time went on Carter was  haunted by dark visions of impending doom due to his enlightenment onboard the  Lost Colony Command Ship. He chose to be posted to Pluto Alpha Base a harsh  planet on the edge of the solar system that was used as an early warning post.  Here he stayed for the inevitable attack that he knew was coming.I feel no joy in the fact that the Thalian Space Wars was fought to protect  my former self so I could become into being. I feel for all my friends who suffered  to protect me. But my destiny Like the Earths is of great importance, because  it is not just the Galaxy that is at risk now, but the entire universe. I must  do what I do now or it will be the end of everything.Shane. (Edited by Shane at 10:28 pm on Oct. 17, 2002)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

TROM Prologue

Post by AndyThomas »

I don't think there's anything particularly controversial in there, although I'm not sure that Captain Carter's relationship with Shiro is as fatherly as you suggest - he certainly fits a "mentor" bill. The general scenario has been talked around before I think, and is reminiscent of the Gundam series in terms of intra-system wars and colonial power struggles. There's another anime tale which involves a lost ship coming back to be a threat to Earth - Detonator Orgun. It's all good stuff.Incidentally, in terms of creating a colony ship of the type described, the theory is that you'd actually create it from an asteroid in the asteroid belt because you effectively have a nice radiation proof hull and lots of raw materials ready and waiting for you. Rather like the Imperial Master's fortress, in fact...!BTW Shane - would you object of I edited the above for use of apostrophes etc, just to tidy it up a little?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

TROM Prologue

Post by Shane »

It is a rough guideline and yes reading it again I did go over the top with Carter and Shiro.As for the various technologies used It's going to be basic and unexplained as in the original series. Star Fleet is just a bit of fun at the end of the day so going over board on explainations and trying to make it too realistic doesn't suit the material. The Story is the most important aspect.Shane.
AndyThomas

TROM Prologue

Post by AndyThomas »

*Waits for Felice to demand realism*;)
felice

TROM Prologue

Post by felice »

Hmph. *pokes tongue out*Yes, the story is the important thing, and realism shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of that, but as long as they aren't actively in conflict then I prefer to have both (one of the reasons I prefer Babylon 5 to Star Trek). The "realism" of Star Fleet was one of the things I loved so much about it when I was a kid (that's realism by ten-year-old and eighties cartoons standards). I can't imagine it being a bad thing for the writers to have sound rationals and backgrounds for stuff, though gratuitous explanations within the show itself should be avoided, of course.And Shane - nice work 8)
Shane

TROM Prologue

Post by Shane »

Phew. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. ;)Thanks Andy and FeliceI'm all for a certain amount of realism, but you're right it shouldn't be allowed to bog things down. This is why I could never get into the post movies Star Wars novels. They kill the heart of what Star Wars is with Trek style techno babble.As for the constructive comments, they're all good. I take the point about Shiro and Carter. And the asteroid idea is great, so I'll use it. Any doctoring the Prologue might need please feel free to do it. I'm an artist more than I am a writer. But I have a good story to tell, ho yes and with liddle pictures to go with it as well. Shane.
CondorJoe

TROM Prologue

Post by CondorJoe »

any news on when your project will be online? been a while since we all set deadlines and dates on our own follow up stories
Shane

TROM Prologue

Post by Shane »

October the 30th. At present Andy is the only one who has stuck to his guns and actually produced something. My project has been floating around in one form or another for a year now, but I've been realistic and have now reached a compromise where I can get something out there for people to see. Shane.
AndyThomas

TROM Prologue

Post by AndyThomas »

OK Shane, here's my cleaned up version...PrologueEarth. The third planet of the Solar System. So beautiful and fragile, yet in the great scheme of things her role is of great importance. She has had to endure a lot through the ages. Three World Wars have taken their toll on her sacred soul to the point where eternal darkness seemed her only destiny. Yet through the ashes and rubble new life emerged and the Earth and its new caretakers vowed never to repeat their mistakes. And for a while they were true to their word. The people of the Earth enjoyed a golden age of peace and prosperity. This new Earth stood united as one people. Then half a millennium after Earth's near extinction its people decided to outstretch their hand and colonise the Solar System.This sowed the seeds for a new dark period of human history. Over the next few hundred years the new colonies came to resent and fear Earth. Earth too was nervous at what the colonies might be planning and so decided to build weapons of war to defend itself. The colonies in turn armed themselves until each had its own Star Fleet. Then one hundred years ago the first of the dreaded Space Wars broke out. This time the battlefield was the dark void of space and the tragic conflict that followed extinguished a great number of souls. The first war ended in stalemate when neither the Earth or the Colony forces could make any ground, so an uneasy truce was called.This didn't last long though and within a few years Space War 2 began. The colonies got the upper hand this time and retook Moon Base, the Earth's last line of defence. The colonial forces offered the Earth a choice, recognize the Moon and its colonies as independent states or prepare for a full planetary bombardment. Earth stood down and so Space War 2 came to an end.There was peace for a time but ruled by fear. There was always an uneasiness between Earth and the colonies. The colonies even became weary of Moon Base and its demands. But as fate would have it there would be a chance for reconciliation - but at a price. Ten years ago the entire Solar System was forced to put differences aside and unite against a common foe: The Lost Colony. At the time of Earth's first venture into the stars a great vessel was sent out to explore the far reaches of space. The ship was so large that it had to be constructed in Earth's orbit. It was a self contained world that explored the neighbouring galaxies. Unfortunately over time it would become a dictatorship under the rule of an evil General who craved power. All who opposed him were silenced, and the remaining inhabitants were forced into working for the General who amassed a large war fleet. Those who did not serve were destroyed.When the time was right he eventually turned his attention to returning to the Solar System and retaking Earth and its Colonies for himself. Space War 3 had begun and the Colonies and Earth would have to work together to survive.The Lost Colony fought its way through the system until it reached Earth itself. The resulting battle was catastrophic. But the Earth Defence Forces as they were now known fought their attackers valiantly, and thanks to a daring raid launched by Captain Carter they managed to penetrate the command ship's defences and destroy it.While onboard the ship planting charges, Carter activated the computer log. He only managed to glimpse a little of the information but it was enough to change Carter's perceptions forever. There was a force out there in the far reaches of space of great evil, and its time was nearly at hand.After Space War 3 the Earth which had come to the defence of its colonies was chosen as the command post for Earth and its colonies' new: Star Fleet. Professor Hagen put forward his X-Bomber Project as a small scale exploration and defence vehicle that could defend the Earth from any possible attack. When Professor Hagen went missing Captain Carter took it upon himself to take the Professor's son Shiro, a young cadet, under his wing. He taught him everything he knew and loved him like his own son. As time went on Carter was haunted by dark visions of impending doom due to his enlightenment onboard the Lost Colony command ship. He chose to be posted to Pluto Alpha Base; a harsh planet on the edge of the Solar System that was used as an early warning post.There he stayed for the inevitable attack that he knew was coming. I feel no joy in the fact that the Thalian Space Wars were fought to protect my former self so I could become into being. I feel for all my friends who suffered to protect me. But my destiny like the Earth's is of great importance, because it is not just the Galaxy that is at risk now, but the entire Universe. I must do what I do now or it will be the end of everything.