let's Subtitle X Bomber!

Chat about creative work on other sites
Shane

let's Subtitle X Bomber!

Post by Shane »

I know this has been mentioned before, but with the new release of X Bomber on DVD not having an English Subtitle option it seems it may be time to take matters into our own hands.I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while now and as the Holiday season is nearly upon us I'll have a bit of time to spare to have a go at it.What I propose to make is a little test movie of around a minute or two in a slightly better quality than the vids on my site with English Subtitles inserted underneath the footage.What I need to know is what scene to use from the 24 episodes? And would anyone be willing to type up the dialogue from the chosen scene to help me out when I construct the Subtitle layers?Let me know what you all think of the idea and give some suggestions for scenes.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

let's Subtitle X Bomber!

Post by AndyThomas »

A logical option would be episode one as Felice has recently done a transcript of it? I'd also point out, were I to be Mr Picky of the Picky Brigade, that there's going to be one episode that's going to stump you if you try and do all 25 episodes! It's a shame no-one thought of that for the official DVD (presumably they haven't) - it might have been interesting to see how Japanese speakers transcribed the original... Presumably you have a bit of kit that lets you put subtitles onto video?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
felice

let's Subtitle X Bomber!

Post by felice »

Hmm... I'd certainly like a subtitled version, but only if the subtitles were direct translations from the Japanese. I'm not convinced of the value of simply putting a transcription of the Star Fleet dialogue over the top of the X Bomber footage...
Shane

let's Subtitle X Bomber!

Post by Shane »

Well thats pissed on that then. Shane.(Edited by Shane at 6:50 am on Dec. 3, 2002)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Happosai

let's Subtitle X Bomber!

Post by Happosai »

I'd have to agree with Felice...being a subbed-not-dubbed anime fan, I would like to see a literal translation of X Bomber to see what the differences between the Western adaptation are.In the past, it was mooted that we convince an anime fansub group to pick it up for translation...this was before the DVDs were on the cards -- the LDs were the best source available. It's a lot easier to rip a quality DivX from a DVD than video-capture from a LD.ISTR the problem we saw with fansubbing X Bomber was whether it would affect the potential Western re-release of Star Fleet. However, there is still the possibility of getting translated scripts produced to go with the DVDs (it's even possible to time them and use software to real-time sub the DVD on playback using a PC) rather than releasing ready-subbed digital videos...it may be a bit more difficult to find someone to work on this though, since it doesn't provide the same ego massage that releasing fansubbed digital videos has for some fansub groups...[Happosai]
Zordon

let's Subtitle X Bomber!

Post by Zordon »

Try converting the file too AVI. Then import into Adobe Image Ready. As long as you have reasonble grasp of how to use layers then you'll be ok. Just remmember that if you type something in remmember this, when you want too type anohter sub too turn off the previous layers visibility or you'll end up with a mass of jumbled sentences overlayed. The same process's can be used too create special effects such as laser and my favorite henshin change (morphing sequences).
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Doctoku

Re: let's Subtitle X Bomber!

Post by Doctoku »

Hello,

I am French.

The image of the dvd videos is really not nice... I searched several sources to try to find the best one.

I'm currently reworking them to put them in 960x720p format (with Topaz video Enhance), without distorting too much the basic video. It's a long process (10h of encoding !)

Then, I'll try to rework the colors...

For my part, if someone has subtitles in English or French, I'm interested in...
Crash

Re: let's Subtitle X Bomber!

Post by Crash »

Boom! Here's our man!
We got him in in the end.

I'm sorry about the trouble that you had accessing the forum. This was the first that I heard about it, but luckily a know a little bit, (not too much), about databases.
Otherwise, we would've been at the mercy of PHPBB support. :D

I was talking with Brad just the other day about subtitling/dubbing the show:
viewtopic.php?p=11501#p11501
Dream big and bold and daring.