Id like to download the Episodes but cant :(

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

You probably will not find Star Fleet on the common filesharing services (Gnutella, KaZaA, Direct Connect). In fact, I don't tink I've ever seen whole downloadable copies of the show. On the F Zero One site you can download mp3s of the audio of the first four episodes. On Espen Solheim's Star Fleet page you can watch a RealVideo stream of an episode (currently ep.11).The best avenues to get full episodes are listed in the Merchandise forum here. Chris Snape produces VHS tapes of the show and Simon Coverdale produces CD-Rs with MPG videos of the show. Alternatively, you might can find some copies on eBay, but there have been some debates about the quality of them and the likelihood of scam artists running them.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

One of the reasons Star Fleet hasn't made it onto Kazaa is, I think, that there isn't a version out there which is really episode by episode.  The smallest coherent version you'd get is an hour long, but then I suppose if you can get full films off Kazaa an hour-long DivX file wouldn't be unusual...  I did once host a poor quality version of episode 4, but that clobbered SFXB's bandwidth pretty rapidly.  Given that I'm in touch with Enoki, who own the rights to Star Fleet, I don't really want to be the one responsible for the show getting spread far and wide - although in a sense I'd like it to be because, like yourself, there are many people who'd like to see it.  There are several clips of action available on SFXB, and coupled with the episode guide they should be a reasonable reminder for you.  As Brad says, if you're willing to pay, then there are other ways of getting hold of the series.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Post by Shane »

Theres also a good 100mb of clips on Big Dai X.com. ;)I've recorded a whole episode before, which I think the Star Fleet Project boys were going to put on their site. As Matt was hosting their site they had the Bandwidth to pull it off. It was also Episode 4 and I managed to get a good version in at around 26mb. I effectively could host one episode, as my account comes complete with free bandwidth, although how free that bandwidth is when people start downloading I don't know. I've never had any problems so far though.Would one low quality episode pose a threat to an official release? I don't know? I've always steared clear of putting up a whole episode before for much the same reasons Andy stipulated, but then again it could actually be a good thing if people get to see the show again, athough there are plenty of people who can get you the series now if you want it anyway.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

The .wmv I put up certainly wasn't anywhere near the quality of an official release. However, I should say Shane, I quickly found that my "unlimited bandwidth" was only unlimited when it was close to the average that all the other sites on that service were using! I surf close to the wind now, and I'm using far more bandwidth than most UK hosting services would allow for the price. But then, no reason you shouldn't try and see what happens. It made me appreciate how REALLY popular sites manage their bandwidth and spread it across multiple servers - it only takes a few people downloading a few large-ish files to ramp it up. I meant to mention actually - have your providers started to put floating ads onto your service? I encounter them sometimes, but not all the time...Incidentally, I have suggested to Ricki at Enoki that having the odd episode available as a "taster" would stir interest - I'm still waiting to hear back. I find she can sometimes answer questions quite, ah, selectively!
Shane

Post by Shane »

You actually have to pay to remove adverts from your site with the account I have. When I renewed my account a few months back I didn't bother paying for the "no banner service" but the popups soon got on my nerves so I relented and payed the little extra to remove them. What a philosophy eh? Actually paying to get rid of advertising. Felice would be proud of me. ;) Heh just kidding.But yeah, I'm sure my bandwidth has a practical limit although my provider is based in the US so that might help?Shane.(Edited by Shane at 8:16 pm on Dec. 16, 2002)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Might well do. Bandwidth's a lot cheaper over there. I was, ah, surprised to discover how much it would cost to host SFXB here in the UK. Do you know what your bandwidth usage is Shane, out of interest? Mine's around the 9GB/month mark...
felice

Post by felice »

> Actually paying to get rid of advertising. Felice would be> proud of me. Heh just kidding. Yes, I approve, though I still think it's crazy that web hosts should have to pay for bandwidth use at all.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Quote Quote: from felice on 11:35 pm on Dec. 16, 2002Yes, I approve, though I still think it's crazy that web hosts should have to pay for bandwidth use at all. Well, all donations gratefully received y'know ;)
Matt Darcy

Post by Matt Darcy »

get a donate button andy I'll we'll see how many high moral people donate.