Crash Override's Game - Work in Progress

Chat about creative work on other sites
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hee hee, I'm 17 today. Lock up your cars.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Greetings Crash,I thought I'd give this thread a bump for good measure. ;)I hadn't followed this thread before now, but I just read through it all and looked over your web site and must say you've done some impressive work there. I know it's been a while since you've updated this thread, but I was just hoping you hadn't quite yet given up on the project.I, on the other hand, have had to put my Escape Velocity StarFleet Genesis Conversion on an indefinite hiatus for the time being. Classes at university and the little lady have taken far too much time away from all the ideas I had originally started planning.Best of luck and happy belated birthday!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hey!!! Thanks! No I've not given up yet. My School has a sort of embargo against any sort of programming and when they found out about the X-Project I was running they tried some underhanded tactics to put it out of action. So that made me that bit more determined. Also I have 7 AS Exams this week so I'm a bit busy but apart from that its basically finished. Im just working out the bugs now.I should think come next Sunday or thereabouts I'll have uploaded an Alpha version of some sort.Thanks for the encouragement.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Click HereNuff said, really
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

That's a very nice site youv'e got thier Crash, the game graphics look great. If you want any bitmap files making such as dai-x in flight mode or the individual fighters let me know.Nice to see the SFP link up even though we're still in the process of upgrading the site content.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Putting the Dai-X into subsequent versions of the program would be the obvious way to go now you mention it. I might just take you up on that. I usually find that it's making the graphics that's the most taxing thing anyway. What I did have planned after having a few weeks away from my PC was to do a Zone 66-esque take on Star Fleet's various fighter squadrons and focus on them instead.But don't worry SFP's got its place reserved. So how's the progress going with that? I can tell from the different messages that come up when I access it that someone's looking after it behind the scenes.P.S. if you've downloaded a copy of the game please tell me how well it works. (I'm still interested in improving it if necessary). Its sort of mildly addictive when you run it my machine.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I've been a bit slow on the uptake there - I hadn't realised you'd redone your entire site around the game, Crash! I've downloaded it but it's a little late to look at it now - I'll let you know how I get on with it over the weekend. I've had a quick flick through the site and I liked the little summaries of the various vessels and the fact that you've thought to give some explanation of the scenario. All the best games give you a broader sense of what's going on, I feel, so it's good that the back story is there. When you're happy that the version that's up is stable, let me know and I'll put a notice up on SFXB's front page. I should also be adding a link on the links pages as well, as the site itself is well worth people looking at...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hi, Mr T. Thanks for the input. I've tested it a bit so I hope it does the business for you. It'll be difficult to get a proper sample-tested non-alpha version ready within a week or so since all my volunteer playtesters are all on exam leave so you've got plenty of time for that.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Well done Crash, thats some nice work.I've managed to get a hi-score of 24050 so far, which is probably rubbish. Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Just had a quick crack at it, and I think it reflects what you've done with the web site very nicely. I'm running Windows XP with a 1900 Athlon and it's fine speed wise. It also picked up my joystick (which is very dusty!) and I had no problems changing weapons etc. Great retro feel to the whole thing - for someone who was barely around in the 80s you've captured the feel of some of the earliest games I ever played remarkably well!In terms of gameplay, for someone who isn't into shoot 'em ups, I found that the power-ups were a little thin on the ground? It's good that you can't crash into other ships, but as X-Bomber is a relatively large sprite (are they still called that?!) and not that fast I found I took quite a lot of damage. But then, as I say, I'm not great at shoot 'em ups anyway.I did notice that the power ups sometimes drifted off screen quite rapidly - I'm guessing they're using the same path routine as the ships are? Would it be possible to have them only drop in the vertical at all?What else... Oh, yes, the turrets - is there anything determining their direction of fire at all? I think I know why you've (apparently) made it random, because they'd be quite an uber-weapon if they targeted every enemy ship without mercy! I like the way X-Bomber's engines come on when you move up the screen BTW...Oh, yes, sound - on my system, there was a pause when the tracks changed over, about a second or so. Not massive, but it was enough to make you go "eh?". Otherwise very stable.So all in all, great game for what's nominally an alpha version - probably much better than the first release of many commercial games from the point of view of it all hanging together! I'm surprised your teachers are against it - it's a great piece of creative work, both graphically and with the use of language, but then I suppose they feel they've got a curriculum to teach. Are you looking to get into gaming as a career?Anyway, I'm off to try and sort out what I'm guessing is partially Matrix-sentinel inspired end of level boss which seemed a bit evil last time I got that far
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator