Crash Override's Game - Work in Progress

Chat about creative work on other sites
Crash

Post by Crash »

Question: When the game "pauses as the music switches" is that; just the music that stops for a few seconds while everything else continues as normal, or does the whole game screen actually freeze temporarily? Cos I've never experienced the latter. (Just wondering).
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

The whole game sort of shudders/freezes. It's probably not as much as seconds - it's pretty brief, but enough to to be noticeable. It's almost as if the system's having a think about where the file is before is starts playing it, or something. I wonder if it's because modern soundcards aren't as geared towards midi files or something?Interesting that you've gone the random generation route - I remember you saying a while back that was how you were doing it. Funny thing is, back when I was trying to do this sort of thing years back, I had the same thought. As it turned out though, due to a quirk in the way the BBC did random number generation, it always produced the same random numbers each time! It actually turned out to be quite handy as a map generation tool - I didn't know what the map would look like beforehand, but it was the same each time!Speaking of random things - this isn't a big issue, but I've noticed that the blue fighters sometimes come down on top of a small asteroid. Doesn't crash the game or anything, but it might be something you could avoid if you wanted to?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Yes, what Andy said is correct here as well. The entire game just stops until the next track starts playing. Though, since my whole "emulated" computer is an entire magnitude slower than Andy's real computer, mine freezes the entire game for a good two seconds. This added delay might also be because the MIDI is being done in software as well. It's not an issue once I turn off the music.Interesting note about the repetition in random numbers, Andy. Most random number generators require a seed number from which to start. The generators included in the common C++ and Java libraries today by default set the seed value to the current time, as I recall, usually in seconds since the Unix epoch time (00:00 GMT 1 Jan 1970). I'm guessing that the problem you were encountering was that your random number generator was just starting with the same seed each time.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I hadn't realised. Okay I did something that I think will have at least partially solved the problem. It's just a thing with grabbing the file from the Hard Disk to the RAM. I don't think it was helped though by 2 contradicting groups of commands, one of which has been deleted.
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

One word can only discribe this game absolutly amazing (well thats two realy) Brilliant layout, graffics are clean and sharp and most importantly the controls are very responsive. Two big thumbs and toes up too you crash. Keep up the good work.Oh also see if you can programme a platform game. Myself and a few others might like too see a shoot-em up of shiro's accadamy training.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Uh thanks. Struth. Yeah if you can can sing it I can program it. Graphics are the only problem there. I'm not very good at people unless they're on paper.Thanks everybody that's...wow. The bad guys are so distinctive it's hard to go too far wrong with their design. Might I ask how many MBs of RAM your Machine's running?Exams what exams? Oh those right. Good luck yourself man!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

512MB of memory here.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Quote (mike @ 27 May 2003,00:50)(snip)Now the thing that has really impressed me is the fact that someone has actually thought about the design of enemy ships and expanded the style of the series.  Exactly the kind of thing I've been trying to tap into for ages.  Whoever the mad genius that designed the original mecha is - they are a  mad genius.  (snip)Mike, your "mad genius" comment might be closer to the truth than you might think. Go Nagai was involved with the series, according to the text of the Manga Max SF article.Go who? One of Go Nagais earliest works, Shameless School, was burned by the Japanese Parents-Teachers Association.Talk about making an entrance. Ever since then, animes very own enfant terrible has given us Violence Jack, Kekkou Kamen, Devilman, and a whole slew of off-the-wall and sometimes quite frankly downright perverse works. Yet, Go Nagai also made the greatest contribution to mecha anime since the invention of giant robots themselves: pilots. Nagais Mazinger Z was the first anime to put the pilot inside the machine, rather than controlling it by some form of remote. Its Nagai we have to thank – or possibly blame – for the long line of teenaged, angry, emotionally scarred, angst ridden, wastes-of-humanity that followed, from Amuro Rei to Heero Yui and all the way up to the ultimate evolution, or possibly, de-volution, of the type: Shinji “I mustn’t run away!” Ikari. Nagai also gave us such well-known signature devices as rocket-launching fists, combining, and super-alloys. Oh, and lets not forget breast missiles – but, well, this is Go Nagai we’re talking about. Who, incidentally, is still at it. There have been recent re-makes of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo, while perhaps the ultimate Nagai tribute is Gekiganger, Nadesicos resident anime within, the titular giant robot being designed by the man himself. That Go Nagai...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

Quote (AndyThomas @ 26 May 2003,12:56)Interesting that you've gone the random generation route - I remember you saying a while back that was how you were doing it. Funny thing is, back when I was trying to do this sort of thing years back, I had the same thought. As it turned out though, due to a quirk in the way the BBC did random number generation, it always produced the same random numbers each time!  It actually turned out to be quite handy as a map generation tool - I didn't know what the map would look like beforehand, but it was the same each time!I guess you never knew about the X=RND(-TIME) trick to reseed the random number generator "randomly"...![Happosai]Yearns for the good 'ol days of hacking on the school's BBC Micro network...