A project of possible interest.

Chat about creative work on other sites
vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Hello guys. I hope you are all well and enjoying the joys of watching and re watching you lovely boxed Star Fleet DVD sets...I know I am. lolMy reason for posting is probably from a sense of excitement, but I thought I would post here and share whats going on here at the moment.I'm something of a creative type...predominantly a musician and composer...in fact download and check out a few examples of my work from the links below.http://www.mediafire.com/?wzjidmmn5mmht ... aem1Simply unzip the files.A few months ago I contacted Andy about the possibility of providing music and scoring for the Genesis project, unaware of the present status of Genesis. I did however suggest that I would record a bunch of versions from the Star Fleet soundtrack. I thought I would post them on this board. I have been working on a few tracks in the limited spare time I have, although they aren't close to me finishing and posting here just yet...in fact it looks like an actually soundtrack CD from the legend that is Paul Bliss will beat me to it. lolThe reason I am somewhat excited and feel the need to post is that it looks like I will be embarking on a creative project that draws its inspiration directly from Star Fleet.Although the details are at the moment fairly sketchy. My Brother In Law approached me with a proposition this past weekend for us to collaborate on a project. He is an animator...a damned good one too. He asked me if I would write a story, which would be episodic, that he would animate and I would provide the score for. When I asked if he had anything in mind, he said. "You know, something like Star Fleet."What he wants to do is a 3D animation with a similar style to those great puppet shows the likes of Gerry Anderson's creations and of course our beloved Star Fleet.I never thought I would be involved in something like this, and as such I am extremely excited...and quite daunted at the prospect of doing this. So even though this project is in it's germination stage I just needed to talk about it someplace.Even though I cant create a follow up to Star Fleet for obvious copyright reasons, I do think its fantastic to see a real possibility of a show being created that will pay homage to Star Fleet eventually being available for all of us to see. I hope I can create a good idea.Thanks for listening...I hope you enjoy the music. Feel free to comment if you wish. Oh, and if you have any great ideas for a Sci Fi show drop me a line. lolVermillion
Crash

Post by Crash »

Haha why can't you create a show based on Star Fleet? They do it all the time for Star Trek. You just have to ignore Yoshi Enoki when he asks his minions to send takedown requests.Having said that I'd be interested to see something new and different. Making something purely based on something else is really constraining.These tracks are nice - where can I get more?I really hope you keep us posted on this project. As soon as you put a page up about it do let us know because I'd like to link to it.
Dream big and bold and daring.
vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Thanks for the response Crash.I just want to quickly say that whilst reading your response I realised what date my post appeared on....what i had to say wasn't an April fool I assure you. lolI have to say this whole project is very exciting, and I hope it works out very well. The approach from my Brother In Law came as a huge suprise, I really didn't expect it at all. He really is a very talented and competent animator. I wish i had something of his I could post with his permission to show you all his ability. He ideally wants to work with an animation house, but is loathed to move out of state. (We are in Michigan, he doesn't want to leave his family and move to California...Crazy! I moved from the UK to the USA and whilst being tough being away from the family its not impossible to deal with.) I know he had been looking for a project to call his own and gain some recognition from, as well as a hopeful paycheck. However, as he explained to me, he struggles to come up with imaginative ideas. I used to write scenario's for RPG's as well as short stories and was even slowly putting together a Sci Fi / Horror novel to be published online chapter by chapter. So he approached me feeling that I could come up with story and set of scenario's that we could create an animated show from.Now this isn't a project that has minor ambitions. The plan is that we will be creating a pilot and series of episodes. The episodes will be edited in to two runtime formats, one set of 15 minutes and one set of 22 minutes. The plan is that this show will be pitched with the intent of being picked up for air on the Cartoon Network, or it's late night counterpart Adult Swim. (when you see the quality of some of the stuff shown on Adult Swim it doesn't seem that hard to get aired there. lol)Regardless of success or failure in the ambitions of our show being picked up by any television company, the show WILL air online after completion. We will build a website specific to the show and obviously post previews and links all over the net to let as many people watch it who care to do so.In my own personal opinion, if we create a decent show and people enjoy it, that will be the way the show ends up being televised...through popularity on the net.My Brother in Law presently lives with us here. Back when I moved here in 2007 I showed Star Fleet to Ryan because I knew his love for animation, cartoons and specifically Transformers. He never seemed too impressed at that time. However last week he came home whilst I was watching the DVD's. I think he sat through a few episodes whilst preparing his meal. I don't know if the show impressed him or maybe he was just inspired about the puppets. But it was the Weekend after that he approached me with this idea.So right at this moment I am searching the realms of my imagination for various ideas for the show...which is extremely hard when you are trying to avoid cliche's and ripping off other shows and movies. lol I'd personally love to negotiate with all who were involved with Genesis and try and bring a version of that to the screen because I know that was the ambition of the project in the first place. However, with the ambitions of this particular project are intended with public broadcast, you just know that we would incur the wrath of those involved with the original Star Fleet series, and the last thing we need here is to end up in court fighting a copyright infringement. So I think a homage to the style of the show will be just perfect.At the same time as getting my creative juices flowing I am learning Celtx, which is software designed to cover the entire pre-production and production of varying media.http://celtx.com/It's funny because the scale of this project is quite daunting for me. Once I have a decent idea that both Ryan and I are agreed on, I have to go away and write an entire universe for that idea. Create the characters, antagonists and protagonists for that universe before I even settle on one story, let alone several following stories that I then have to write scripts for. As well as that we have to create the visual universe for all characters, vehicles, effects and sets. We have to find voice talent amongst our family and friends, and then to top it all off I am charged with composing a soundtrack for the project. Now the musical side of that doesn't seem too daunting, in fact i think it will be fun. However, I also have to become the sound designer for the project and create all the noises for the universe.I certainly do hope to pop the occasional update on the project if no one has any objection. Although I strongly suspect that any updates will just be me talking about it as opposed to posting samples of things. Yes Crash I will certainly give you details of the site to link to once it is up and running. Just be aware that the site will be one of the last things we do, because I personally hate those "Coming Soon" pages that take forever to become an actual active web site. I suspect we will buy the domain for our project fairly soon. If we do create a coming soon page I will do my best for it to only run for a couple of weeks or a month while we test the site, and I will certainly include a countdown and most likely a trailer for the show.What is important to keep in perspective is the time frame for this shows potential completion is a long time. Taking my involvement of writing and composing out of the equation, you are looking at one man animating this entire show as well as editing. Most shows have teams of animators and they still take a fairly long time to complete. So don't expect our show to appear in the next few months or anything. I personally would be surprised if we have a completed pilot within a year, but you never know.Thanks for the nice comment about my music Crash. As to where you can lay your hands on more, you will just have to be patient. I do have an extensive back catalogue of music, but it exists within different projects that I cant just give away unfortunately.The tracks you heard are from a new solo project I am working on. The Inhuman Condition.My intention is to keep all of my music as The Inhuman Condition free. I am currently building a catalogue of between two and three hours of new music. Once I'm as satisfied as I can be with all of that music I will release them on my own website as albums for you to download. I am hoping to get two albums out of the material, maybe three. I will release them individually whilst I work on new music. I plan to have a pretty decent and interactive site for my music, and if I get a decent amount of downloads and people enjoy what I am doing then i will start preparing live performances of my stuff. But that's all way off yet. lol I will however drop the occasional song here for you as I complete them. If you are keen on that kind of style of music though Crash, PM me and I can talk to you about other artists you may enjoy.Anyway, thank you for reading this extremely long post. I hope to get to know a few of you in the near future. RegardsVermillion
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

between myself and crash i think we could help you out with something. I dabble in anime style art, crash is a good concept artist. I do effects work from time to time.a few years back my self and a guy called mike had our own star fleet site which had a few fan based projects. unfortunatly though Mike left the site and taveled the world leaving me to keep the site going. Sadly the site came to a close last year. I still do a few projects for star fleet every now and then. I'm even working on a beat em up.if your after a good story to use which has a good star fleet vibe I've already got one written up. just let me know if your intrested.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Hi there peeps.So... It's been almost a month since I excitedly blurted out about the potential animated project that I am involved in.  I thought I would do the decent thing and give you all an update of sorts.The debate's myself and Ryan have had over the past several weeks, drunken and otherwise have been interesting to say the least.  We have been throwing ideas back and forth, trying to get some kind of semblance of what direction our project will take.  For a time the show looked like it would be humour orientated. The kinds of technological themes we would look at designing for the show have been argued over, and the format for the project has bounced between being planned as TV show, then as a movie... then back to a TV show again. Actually at this precise moment in time we looking towards creating this as a movie based format. Almost like a glorified pilot episode running for around ninety minutes or so.  I am also writing in dramatic climaxes to happen within the duration of the movie format so it can be edited into smaller episodes. Hopefully that way I can cover all the bases I need to whilst still providing an entertaining story.Yes...a story.  After several weeks I finally settled on the story I wish to tell, and am now embroiled in creating this alternate human future that will hopefully be relevant in some small way to the kinds of concerns people have today in the real world that will form the basis for our show.  The universe I am writing is quite massive, the character base is extensive and I am pretty damned excited about whats coming out of my imagination right now. Although I won't at this stage give any significant detail about the story. I will give a little teaser that might appeal to all of you who frequent this forum.  The protagonists of this story have a potentially iconic spaceship, with characteristics and capabilities that I think are exciting, and perhaps a little groundbreaking withing the genre.  In addition...Giant f***ing robots play a significant part withing the realms of the universe I am creating and the stories I plan to tell...and I promise they aren't as cliched as you might imagine.One really cool thing happened this past week. Ryan created and presented to me a short two minute test animation which certainly had me even more excited than I already was.  It was very impressive, displaying a technological perspective I don't really think I have seen done before in science fiction on either TV or movies.  That display definitely demonstrates the visual creativity we have going for us. I only wish I could show all of you guys here what he has been working on.However, I can actually give you guys a small example of the quality of animation that is associated with this project. As the video is hosted in a public domain then you all can get a taste of the ability of the animator of this little project. Check out the link, and I would pay specific attention to the final moments of the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjJ7ygxh0IWatch it in HQ and enjoy.RegardsVermillion
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

is ryan any good with 3D?
Look an Alien cruiser!!