The most accurate Imperial Fighter 3D model ever

Chat about creative work on other sites
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

It struck me again: the itch to rebuild my Star Fleet models. After watching the DVDs again recently, I decided it was time to capture some higher quality screenshots to replace the poor, fuzzy screenshots of yore. Of course, watching them on my computer just emphasized the poor quality of the video on the DVDs — wildly inconsistent white balance and focus being the most outstanding issues — but, hey, they're still better than the old VHS copies of the US "compilation" volumes!So, I decided to rebuild an Imperial Fighter from scratch, not using any of the parts from my old models. The result? My most accurate 3D Star Fleet model to date, just shy of perfection, I'd say. And a few off-angle beauty shots:I also remembered a promise I made long ago that I'd give away my 3D models once I'd cleaned them up a bit. Well, here's to meeting that commitment! The following zip contains the three image textures I created and every export option my copy of Cinema 4D supports: 3D Studio, C4D XML, Direct 3D, DXF, FBX, QuickDraw 3D, STL, VRML, and Wavefront.Imperial_Fighter.zipStipulations? I'm offering these models for free under the Creative Commons "By-NC-SA" 3.0 License. Basically, you're free to use them however you like as long as you don't charge money for it and you give credit to me as the model creator.Enjoy!
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's fantastic - I never thought the cockpit was as far forward.I'm spriting the mobile laser batteries from Pluto base at the moment and I got an amazingly detailed screenshot from the show. So much for the dreadful image quality. The only problem is that their all finished differently and none are quite identical.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Mark42

Post by Mark42 »

Very nice work, I don't suppose that you would like to do X-Bomber, or have you?
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

(Crash Override @ Jun. 19 2009,07:33)QUOTEThat's fantastic - I never thought the cockpit was as far forward.Yeah, the position of the cockpit does look a bit weird from some angles, especially the straight side and top perspectives, but it does seem to line up correctly with the screenshots. I think it's usually less noticeable as being so far forward because most shots of the Imperial Fighter have it coming head-on at the camera.
(Crash Override @ Jun. 19 2009,07:33)QUOTEI'm spriting the mobile laser batteries from Pluto base at the moment and I got an amazingly detailed screenshot from the show. So much for the dreadful image quality. The only problem is that their all finished differently and none are quite identical.The ones that slide out on the tracks from the hillsides? Man, that's one battle sequence that I was so disappointed that there wasn't more of on the DVDs. I guess since it was part of the pilot episode, maybe the budget wasn't quite clear for them to max it out.Anyway, spriting them for our game, I presume? Cool. I just tried out your new version, by the way. Seems to be pretty stable and has good performance. I haven't gone through much of it, but when I do, I'll have to post about it in one of your other threads.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Yeah the new one's kicking around here somewhere.Have a look for it with the forum search.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

(Mark42 @ Jun. 22 2009,18:02)QUOTEVery nice work, I don't suppose that you would like to do X-Bomber, or have you?Thanks, Mark! Yeah, I actually have a bunch of different models, all in varying states of completion and accuracy. The X-Bomber is one of the more complex ones and one of the hardest to get just right since it's so big. Here's a screenshot of my current version:Here are some of my other models that have been collecting dust recently. Some of them I have modification timestamps that indicate I haven't touched them in years! Admittedly, I used to be a lot more dedicated to working on these guys.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Wow - you really have been busy. I think I love the MainBody one the best.I think it would help if we had a bigger audience. It'd really stick some nitrous oxide in our fanwork engines. I think we need a publicity drive for all our sites. I was hoping the DVD set would do that for us but ... it hasn't really happened. I would ask Optimus (by which I mean Andy) but he hasn't been around for quite a while. This is what happens with children, you know? - very inconsiderate. So, anybody got any ideas?

AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

*whoosh**tinkle*I have always been here.*tinkle**spoodle*
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

(AndyThomas @ Jun. 23 2009,17:14)QUOTE*whoosh**tinkle*I have always been here.*tinkle**spoodle*Speak of the devil and he doth appear!   Oh, and Andy of course graciously omits mention of his own tinkerings with 3D models. He was pulling off a convincing X-Bomber some time ago as I recall.Glad to see you lurking around here, Andy.
Crash

Post by Crash »

This ... is a terrible thing; people having to lurk on their own forum. Well it'll definitely be worth it. I take my hat off to you Andy. Where did your site even go Brad? you had great stuff on there - and it just ... went.So, how are we gonna shift our publicity Gundam into Trans-Am and get us some forumites and visitors and all that?PS.: Just to give you an idea of what I've been up to... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7VhU_rw8w