Star Fleet on TheTVDB.com

Chat about creative work on other sites
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Lately I've been into the multimedia PC kick and have been playing around with Plex, a (currently) Mac-only fork of the popular XBMC media center software.For the uninitiated, this is software you can install on a small PC, hook up to a TV, and use to access movies, TV, and music on the computer as well as streaming shows online, accessible via a remote control or wireless keyboard. To make the experience more immersive, Plex and XBMC scan your files and try to match them up with online TV and movie databases. The software then downloads titles, artwork, synopses, and other metadata to show on the screen when you're browsing through and watching your shows. One of those sites is TheTVDB, and it's free to register and update the information there.I was happy to see that TheTVDB had an entry for Star Fleet, but it was looking pretty spartan. So, I decided last night to update it! Star Fleet - main pageStar Fleet - "Season 1" pageI've added brief synopses to each of the episodes that were missing them. Only the first three had info before I got to work. I basically grabbed the teaser outro from the previous episode each time and cut off the "don't miss the next episode of Star Fleet!" line.I also added some better artwork for the "posters", background "fan art", and "banners" sections. I mostly just took my scans of the DVD set and cleaned them up to fit the size specs. I also took two pages from the Star Fleet annual (can't remember where I found them) and stitched them together to make this massive backdrop:full size here (1501x1037)Next on my list is to take a screenshot from each of the episodes and upload them as the preview thumbnails.Once you load of Plex or XBMC with your shows, the navigation would look something like this. I've scaled the screenshots down, but imagine them in crisp, full-screen high-definition.(I'm in the middle of ripping my DVD collection; that small list is gonna grow fast!)

Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Oh, and the other artwork I added include:
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Also, Crash, you'll be happy to know that I added the stitched-together annual artwork and that last image above (an edited cover of the Collectors Booklet) to the X-Archive.

Crash

Post by Crash »

Still waiting for a decent theme to appear for Coppermine 1.5.Sure ain't gonna write one myself.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Whew! Finally finished choosing, cleaning, and uploading the thumbnails.ep01(ep02 and ep03 already had good thumbnails.)ep04ep05ep06ep07ep08ep09ep10ep11ep12
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

(splitting up because Ikonboard only allows 10 images per post)ep13ep14ep15ep16ep17ep18ep19ep20ep21ep22
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

ep23ep24The end!  
Crash

Post by Crash »

Those are very good!I set my FTP away updating the coppermine to the latest version this morning, while I was checking out Northumbria's School of Law + Campus.We just need a decent theme. I really have neither the time nor inclination to significantly mod one myself.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Thanks!I also spent some time over this weekend scanning, cleaning, and retouching the poster that was included with the UK DVD box set. Moire pattern noise is a PITA to remove from scans, but equally bad was that my poster had sharp creases in it, meaning the images had crackled white lines along each of the folds.But the hours of effort were totally worth it.The final product is a massive 2459 by 2091 pixel image, at 150 ppi (~60 p/cm). I scaled and cropped the full-size image down to 1920x1080 for the "1080p" art maximum size over at TheTVDB.com. Having to scale down a piece of artwork to fit the maximum size limit was, I'll admit, a little bit thrilling, in a geeky way. full size here (2459x2091)I just tried uploading the full-size image to the X-Archive, but I got a massive JavaScript alert error that I think might be trying to tell me that I'm over quota. It scrolled way off the screen; so, I'm not quite sure what it said…

Crash

Post by Crash »

I think I turned quotas off for us as admins.I'll check tonight what the maximum filesize is but I thought it was quite big.There are two ways to upload thru the browser: flash and single-file. Neither are very reliable for big things.Stupid coppermine.