X-Bomber Re-dub?

Chat about creative work on other sites
Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

All this talk of Audio remastering and Zordon's comment has got me thinking...Apologies if this has already been covered in the past, I'm relatively new to this forum compared to most members.A comment by Zordon in Bladez's thread on the Japanese Master DVD's, about a mooted re-dub into English by fans, made me wonder about the feasilbility of it all.I think it would be hilarious and rather geekily cool to watch the original X-Bomber episodes in all their glory but with English voices.This post is to gauge any interest...?Now I'm no Audio expert but I could offer to cover some other aspects needed for such a project:I could transcript the entire UK Star Fleet version's dialogue onto an electronic document, including the cues, cast names and scenes. This would become a script which could be distributed to the fans/cast members. Thus ensuring a common starting point for all the "cast" to work to.Obviously we'd need to include the "missing" episode (was it episode 18?).If no-one has a Japanese friend who'd be able to translate that episode into English, I could get it done using a contact I have. But I'd need someone to provide me with a copy of this whole episode, as I don't have it myself.I could then create an English script for this episode, and add it to the main series script.We'd need to assemble a suitable/willing "voice cast" as well.I'd be able to do a character or two myself if need be... I have BowWow's 12" vinyl X-Bomber LP soundtrack, so I could get these tracks digitised to provide samples if needed as well.But that's where my skills run out...I wonder if it would be possible to have each "cast member" record their own dialogue separately without having to get together, so it could be done at home? Maybe do one episode at a time?Then everyone could send their audio tracks to one central person who can collate and edit and patch together the separate clips and put them over the Japanese Master DVD?I imagine that lipsynch would be a major headache...I'm sure this would need a lot of time/work and expertise, and sadly I don't know how to do this part.I know who I'd like to voice though So, is this feasible?Is anyone interested?Would anyone be able/willing to take it on?Maybe just the first episode for a laugh, or feasibility study?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Bladez636 »

I myself would be interested were anything to come of it.If so, I could do sound editing or something.
Shane

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Shane »

Before the Star Fleet DVD release there had been talk of re-dubbing the X-Bomber DVDs with the UK audio as the X-Bomber DVDs were of a superior quality to the US video cassettes of the series (which were also cut). To be honest the X-Bomber DVDs are still superior to the recent Star Fleet DVDs, because the producers of Star Fleet were effectively working with 2nd generation copies when they created their own dub.I think if you were going to embark on this, Episode 18 is definitely the one to work on. There are 7 minutes of new footage with the rest being flashbacks. Check out the bigdaix site for the all new footage from episode 18:http://www.bigdaix.co.uk/videos.htmIf you wanted to re-dub the voices you would have to strip away some of the Japanese audio track, basically anything where there are sound effects or music playing while characters are talking would have to me muted, which could result in a very choppy soundtrack. You could of course just start from scratch and rebuild the soundtrack with the Bow Wow album etc, but there's a lot of work involved there.Personally, I like the Idea of doing what the UK producers never bothered to do and that is to re-dub from scratch the 7 minutes of new footage. The Paul Bliss soundtrack is available now, so a few cues could be used for background music. Then if someone can translate what everyone is saying you could have fun recording a new vocal dub. 7 minutes alone will take you ages to record and edit, believe me. Perfectly doable though.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Bladez636

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Bladez636 »

http://www.magz.info/index.p....&page=1To add to the possible quest, what I believe are all the Japanese episodes are available on this site (episode 1 is on the last page for whatever reason) on zip download. I myself are unsure on how safe the site is, but it checks out on McAfee security's watch. I'd help myself but my laptop is on the verge of death (it's 5 yrs old anyhow)Hoping that I don't get in trouble for sharing this, good luck...

Crash

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Crash »

Good find!What would be great is an .mkv version with fansubs.That would be a fine project for anyone with a lot better Japanese than me.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

Maybe there's some interest for this project then?Shane wrote: QUOTEPersonally, I like the Idea of doing what the UK producers never bothered to do and that is to re-dub from scratch the 7 minutes of new footage. The Paul Bliss soundtrack is available now, so a few cues could be used for background music. Then if someone can translate what everyone is saying you could have fun recording a new vocal dub. 7 minutes alone will take you ages to record and edit, believe me. Perfectly doable though.I think that the "missing" Episode 18 would be an excellent test to see if it were possible, not only technically, but also if there was enough interest from fans as well, plus getting someone to do the re-editing...To just tackle the 7 minutes of "new" footage from episode 18 would be so cool. I also think it would be quite a popular download for fans, as it'd be the first time non-japanese, english speaking viewers would be able to hear what was being said.I think it should be re-done from scratch, rather than piecemeal, as this might create a choppy soundtrack as Shane says. But whether it should be re-done in the original style with BowWow tracks and sound effects, or done using Paul Bliss's soundracks and "UK-style" effects is one question that would need to be addressed early on.Any opinions here?Bladez636 wrote: QUOTETo add to the possible quest, what I believe are all the Japanese episodes are available on this site (episode 1 is on the last page for whatever reason) on zip download. I myself are unsure on how safe the site is, but it checks out on McAfee security's watch. I'd help myself but my laptop is on the verge of death (it's 5 yrs old anyhow)That is an interesting find, well done and thanks for putting it up on the forum.I went on the site and registered as a member, but I still couldn't play or download the clips as you have to set up a paying account and pay monthly to use the site. I stopped short of this!I am not sure that they are the original Japanese Episodes though, because there are only 24 listed on this site (A-la UK Star Fleet). I would have expected 25 episodes if they were the unedited Japanese EP's...?Crash wrote: QUOTEWhat would be great is an .mkv version with fansubs.I'm probably being very thick here, but what did you mean Crash? What's a ".mkv version" ?If folks here are willing to lend their support, I'll go ahead and start the ball rolling.Thanks to Shane, I was able to download the three "New material" EP18 clips onto my laptop.Here is a list of the characters that appear in this brief 7-minute footage:NarratorBarry HerculesShiro HagenJohn LeeKirara (only snoring!)Dr. BennTermoidsCaptain OrionCommander MakaraImperial Master (Lots of echo and reverb!)Captain Halley (thinking only, no lip movement)Lamia (very briefly, no shots of her face)Makara's Symbiont (male voice)So as you can see, that's quite a cast that would need to be assembled.I can offer to do one character or maybe even two.Anyone else fancy a shot at stardom?   Would you be willing to be the sound editor Bladez636?If so, I would go ahead and get the 7 minutes translated into English, and then create a script with all the cues, and character emotions needed to allow voices to be created in English.To try to get around the problem of lipsynch (not that bad a problem really, as about 50% of the time you can't see the puppet's lips anyway) I will time how long each character speaks in Japanese, and add this to the script. Then the "Voive Actors" can practise to get their english lines to fit in the same timeframe.Once I'm happy with my detailed "Screenplay script", I'd put it up on the forum for all to read and review. Once everyone was happy, we could begin recording the English speech.But we would need to assemble a cast to provide all the charcater voices above. I think that we could do the same as the UK voice actors did, and provide the voices for a couple of characters each, but there's still a lot to find.Also, I don't have the actual high-quality original Japanese DVD's, and we'd need to get hold of these to get at the Episode 18 clips in decent quality for the re-editing to be possible. Anyone have them?Anyone fancy a shot at this project?I know I do  

Evasive Manoeuvres!
Zordon

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Zordon »

I'm in but we'd have to meet up to do this. my dad has a recording studio so we'd have great quality.now wll this be our own version or badly impersonated version?As theres only so many times i can go "look an alien cruiser" or "I'm Dr Benn Commander of moonbase".I'd say we do 1 episode and that should be episode 1but we do 2 versions. 1 would be a straight laced transcript of x-bomber episode 12 would be a parody episode where we just do something stupid over it.I can't tell you the amount of times me and mike watched The Search for F-01 and made hillarious voiceovers.General kyle calls the missle Silo and tells Commander Vargas to launch. we did two takes of this using a clip twice of the silo blowing up and vagas going "Oh poopy". or "I never told you number 1 but I love your mother".something so absurd it will become a cult classic like those DBZ or Power Ranger parody dubs."it's over 9000!!""I'am Dennis Frogman".
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Bladez636

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Bladez636 »

(Vanessa @ Apr. 04 2011,00:36)QUOTEBladez636 wrote: QUOTETo add to the possible quest, what I believe are all the Japanese episodes are available on this site (episode 1 is on the last page for whatever reason) on zip download. I myself are unsure on how safe the site is, but it checks out on McAfee security's watch. I'd help myself but my laptop is on the verge of death (it's 5 yrs old anyhow)That is an interesting find, well done and thanks for putting it up on the forum.I went on the site and registered as a member, but I still couldn't play or download the clips as you have to set up a paying account and pay monthly to use the site. I stopped short of this!I am not sure that they are the original Japanese Episodes though, because there are only 24 listed on this site (A-la UK Star Fleet). I would have expected 25 episodes if they were the unedited Japanese EP's...?If folks here are willing to lend their support, I'll go ahead and start the ball rolling.Thanks to Shane, I was able to download the three "New material" EP18 clips onto my laptop.Would you be willing to be the sound editor Bladez636?Also, I don't have the actual high-quality original Japanese DVD's, and we'd need to get hold of these to get at the Episode 18 clips in decent quality for the re-editing to be possible. Anyone have them?Anyone fancy a shot at this project?I know I do  Really? That sucks.... They must be from the French DVD or something.... They look like the sharper contrast versionsSince I have never seen the Japanese version of the DVD, they could have merged ep 18/19 too later on. I've actually seen other dubs do that too.... To show you i'm not lying, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsr3bnJLwQE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTdzkVll0jUBut I would kinda doubt that...Anyways, yes I'd love to do SFX.... I've actually got the original masters (Japanese masters I compiled/edited, the UK masters from Cinesound thanks to jamesuk9999's great preservation project). Though I doubt I can do much with my laptop being the POS it is now... I need a new one, but I don't think this'll all get off the ground within the amount of time i'll get it...I plan to release the stuff I compiled to you guys eventually - A "Star Fleet" sound effect package. But I'm unsure when as I don't want to immediately release everything I have to offer here....Anyhow, I vouch we do a combination of Bow Wow and Paul Bliss or maybe something else. It's implausable that we'd be able to get the other music from the show that Kazutaka Tazaki and Nakayuki Sakuraba did for the show (anything not on the Bow Wow Album) unless they were used on another show which I doubt. I was able to reconstruct them but they're really rough like Shane said and there are still sounds in them (not terribly noticable in my English/Japanese project but they would in a redub).Another aspect i'm unsure whether or not you know is that most of the characters were renamed for "Star Fleet", Japan had totally different names.Shiro Hagen - Shiro GingaBarry Hercules - Bongo HeraclesJohn Lee - Bigman LeePPA - PP AdamskyCaptain Carter - Captain CusterGeneral Kyle - General KurodaCommander Makara - Bloody MaryCaptain Orion - Captain KozloProfessor Caliban - Professor GedoraThe Imperial Master - Emperor GozmaThat's all I know... Lamia, Benn and Halley were still the same...You may know this, but that's something that should be addressed

Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

Whilst I agree that getting together to record some amusing voice-overs would be a great laugh, and your offer to use your dad's studio would be really cool Zordon, I have a number of reservations.I don't want to upset anyone here, but here are my candid thoughts:- Meeting up at an obviously UK-based studio immediately precludes the participation of anyone overseas, or who simply can't afford the cost or time to travel to a studio which may be quite far away. I'm sure we are spread out over quite an area, us Star Fleet Fans! That's why I suggested folks could record their "part" at home and send it to the Sound Editor.- Speaking personally, whilst doing a parody would be fun, ultimately it was not what I had in mind at all. I'm after creating a 100% serious and professional-as-possible re-dub. Whether folks use their "normal" voices, or do impersonations is entirely up to them.- Whether it is created using 'X-Bomber & BowWow', or 'Star Fleet & Paul Bliss' themes is still a question that remains unanswered.- I would much rather re-dub the missing 7 minutes from the Japanese Episode 18, as I for one, want to know what they are saying. It's a lot easier than an entire episode and also is more interesting as it has never been done in English before. If it were a big success, we could always go on to an entire episode later, and episode 1 would then be the natural starting point.- The project won't be able to go ahead until we have a willing cast assembled, and a willing and able sound editor. I will get the 7 minutes translated, and create a detailed script, but only if we have takers on filling the cast and editing the sound. You can see the cast list in my previous post, anyone want to put their names next to a character or two? I can start the ball rolling here by saying I'd do Makara and Lamia. Unless anyone esle wanted to that is - Once the voices have been recorded, we would still need access to a copy of the original Japanese episode 18 for our sound editor to re-dub. I don't have one, does anyone else?Whaddaya all think?Viable or dead duck?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

My apologies Bladez636, Your post must have been written at the same time as mine I can see what you mean about other dubs. Good clips you've posted! It sounds like at least one of them (the arabic one) used the Japanese music and effects.It's great that you've got the Japanese Masters with you. But it's a great pity you say your laptop is knackered.Forgive me for asking a stupid question (I excell at these ) but does this mean you wouldn't be able to do the sound editing, even if you wanted to?I am really looking forward to hearing more of the Star Fleet sounds you've compiled.A combination of BowWow and Paul Bliss sounds like a really cool idea. I have a copy of the 12" Vinyl LP Japanese Soundtrack from X-Bomber. Is this the same tracks as you already have access to? See the X-Archive for scans of my Vinyl album cover, this will list the songs. Are there any on this that you don't have? If so, I can get them digitised and send them over to you.I know about the English - Japanese Character name differences, I think that the Imperial Master was called Emperor Gelmar though?I'd suggest we use the english character names in our re-dub?Do you fancy doing some of the voices?
Evasive Manoeuvres!