X-Bomber Re-dub?

Chat about creative work on other sites
Bladez636

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Bladez636 »

(Vanessa @ Apr. 04 2011,23:31)QUOTEMy apologies Bladez636, Your post must have been written at the same time as mine I can see what you mean about other dubs. Good clips you've posted! It sounds like at least one of them (the arabic one) used the Japanese music and effects.It's great that you've got the Japanese Masters with you. But it's a great pity you say your laptop is knackered.Forgive me for asking a stupid question (I excell at these    ) but does this mean you wouldn't be able to do the sound editing, even if you wanted to?I am really looking forward to hearing more of the Star Fleet sounds you've compiled.A combination of BowWow and Paul Bliss sounds like a really cool idea. I have a copy of the 12" Vinyl LP Japanese Soundtrack from X-Bomber. Is this the same tracks as you already have access to? See the X-Archive for scans of my Vinyl album cover, this will list the songs. Are there any on this that you don't have? If so, I can get them digitised and send them over to you.I know about the English - Japanese Character name differences, I think that the Imperial Master was called Emperor Gelmar though?I'd suggest we use the english character names in our re-dub?Do you fancy doing some of the voices?  The Italian one did to really...The Japanese masters were used in the English version too, but limited. For instance, the whirring sound of the interior of Makara's battlecruiser was from the Japanese masters. The English version's SFX I prefer though, because they're much more stronger. They're the same ones that were used in "Thunderbirds" .etcI can, but it's a pain.... My computer heats up badly.... Haven't made a video in months I would be able to work w/ sounds but not video...I think it's the same, if they're the ones Zordon shared. http://www.sfxb.co.uk/cgi-bin....try8964Well, it's up to you... Just wondering if you'd be using them. Bloody Mary of course is more fitting to Makara...No, my voice is an abomination.....
Shane

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Shane »

A few different ideas on approach coming out, but I'm personally still leaning towards Episode 18 as something I'd like to see translated in some way. I think it would be a worthwhile project, Vanessa even if we end up using the translation to just create subtitles over the 6 or so minutes of material.It looks to me that a feasible plan would be to first translate the new material of episode 18 and then either create subtitles or work on an audio dub (I'll volunteer to do The Imperial Master and Orion).   After that, if it hasn't been too traumatic, you could always try episode 1 and so on.It would be very easy to create either a X-Bomber or Star Fleet version simply by the use of cues from each version's music soundtrack. I'd be more interested in hearing a Paul Bliss soundtrack over the top just for the thrill of creating, to all intents and purposes, a bonafide new episode of Star Fleet.Speaking of which... I've done a lofi test using one of my old Episode 18 clips from bigdaix. I've stripped the Japanese audio from this clip completely and replaced it with cues from the Star Fleet soundtrack. I've intentionally left periods of silence which will eventually feature ambient sound effects and the proposed UK vocal dub.I tried to upload the clip to X-Archive, but it's being a pain so it gave me an excuse to start a YouTube channel. Here's the clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1o457eRFm8So I'd be up for doing a voice or two and selecting and directing the music cues as I've done in my test video.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
felice

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by felice »

I'd be very interested in a new dub (or just subtitles!) if it was a new, more accurate translation from the original Japanese... just rerecording the existing English script doesn't strike me as especially useful. As for which themes to use, there's no reason (other than the work involved) not to do both. Record a standalone dialogue track, and you can mix it with the music and effects as desired to make multiple versions.I have no vocal talents whatsoever, unfortunately.
Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

Well people, I feel a plan coming...I want to do a "Hannibal" and say his famous line   but I can't yet as it hasn't come together.Anyway, I think that Felice has hit the nail right on the head, and I was pondering the same idea myself.If we have a master video clip cut and ready to use, we can all work to this. Then we could record two different background soundtracks, one in the Japanese BowWow style, and the other A-la UK Star Fleet. These would have all the music and sound effects for the clip, but no dialogue. Then we could assemble all the separate vocal soundbites recorded by our "cast", and simply overlay these on top of either background sound track, in the right places, then add the video: et voila!As simple as that!   Well, almost...But I think it's a very good way of approaching it.I really agree with Shane about doing the "missing" episode 18 as the first project. The Paul Bliss version first, and the BowWow one second maybe?I'm sure we can do more than just subtitles between us all, though?We now have 4 character voices, so we are still looking for:NarratorBarry HerculesShiro HagenJohn LeeKirara (only snoring!)Dr. BennTermoidsCaptain HalleyMakara's Symbiont (male voice)I think it would be great to create our own "new" Star Fleet episode (I think Zordon alluded to a similar idea in his "lets do a Haim Saban" post). But here, we are re-creating the missing episode 18. We could even add the intro and end credits (with our own names for the voices if we felt so inclined) to make it even more realistic.If we need it, I have a friend who runs the recording studio responsible for all the Doctor Who radio adventures series, I might be able to twist his arm to re-master our audio re-dub to give it the finishing touch maybe?I also think that Felice is right about there being little milage in simply re-doing the existing English Star Fleet vocals again.Where the missing parts of episode 18 are concerned, there is no current english translation (as far as I know), so we have free reign to use the direct translation where we want, although it may need a little "anglicisation" to get it to make sense, grammatically.Although I did hear somewhere that there was an English subtitled version of the original Japanese X-bomber series, released on DVD a few years back. Is this true or just folklore?I can't watch your you-tube clip at work Shane (the fun police are here    ) so I'll watch it when I get home and reply a bit more later on.P.S. My voice-actor abilities are absolutely non-existent as well, but it's all for fun really, so I don't mind giving it a go, I hope I won't sound too terrible  

Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Crash »

No, Coppermine is just a pain, period. What we needed was an upload script rather than a picture gallery, I suppose.From, like, a million posts ago: ... An MKV file is a video file with the subtitles superimposed from text data inside the file, rather than the subtitles being "burned" into the video image. (That way you can turn them off, like you can with a DVD but not with an AVI file).It would be good if you could watch the original Japanese footage with fansubs - but hey.When your plan is finished, I'll be sure to give you hand, any way I can.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Vanessa »

Gosh! what a long day at work! (yawn).Anyway, down to more important things... Firstly thank you Crash, for filling me in on what an .mkv file is. Sorry for asking daft questions, but I did say I'm a Luddite when it comes to all this modern tech I had no idea what an .mkv file was, but now I know, and it sounds like a clever idea, I've learned something new (again).It's a shame that Coppermine is being a pain. I hope to have another cool image or two to upload soon, and one'll probably be a biggie, so I may be calling on your good self for more help to upload it if X-archive refuses to play ball. If I said "Starlog" you'll probably know what I'm planning Thank you for the kind offer of help, gratefully received. I'm sure we'll all be needed to pull this off well.Anyway, Just watched your Ep18test clip Shane and I am really impressed! I like the choice of soundcues as well. It's weird watching it with no dialogue, but top quality yet somehow "new" soundcues.BTW, another stupid question, but what's "lofi"?I thought your choice of youtube name: "GelmaBroadcastSystem" was very cute.Can I ask another silly question?This new Youtube clip was slightly different to the three short EP18 "missing footage" clips from your website. I'm definitely going to take the plunge and get the Japanese dialogue translated (plus the occasional text that appears on the screen). So my question is this:Is all the dialogue that we need translated on these three short website clips? Or do you have longer clips (like the youtube clip) that I should get done instead?Now, it may take a while, and I'm going to have to prepare some background information on paper with pictures, to help the translator identify each character for translation purposes. I think it highly unlikely that they (assuming they are a Japanese national) will have heard of X-bomber beforehand, so I'll need to fill them in on what we want. But you never know, I may stumble across another secret fan!?Then I'll prepare the script and put it up on the forum.This may take a while, so it may go a bit quiet on this subject, but don't lose heart folks, Vanessa is on the case!We could also do with some high-quality video to accompany the new soundtrack too. Do you have the original Japanese master DVD's Shane?Or if not, do you (or anyone else) know someone who does?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Shane »

Lo Fi just means Low Fidelity and is the opposite of Hi Fi meaning High Fidelity (It's more of a term relating to sound quality). Basically, it's just a phrase I used to explain that the quality of the video footage in the clip was a bit crap.   It is actually the same clip that can be found on my bigdaix site; I had to download it from my site myself in order to make the rough video. I originally digitized the episode 18 footage years ago from the Japanese laser discs, but at quite a low resolution compared to todays standards. The 3 clips on my site represent the entire all new footage. The remaining 13 minutes are flashbacks which we can source from the uk version in order to recreate the entire episode.I do actually have the X-Bomber series in DVD format (alas, it comes with no subtitles). I'd just need to rip Episode 18 into a high quality video file. If anyone knows of a good program for this kind of thing let me know.

Crash

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Crash »

I haven't ever ripped a DVD myself, but I know youl have to decode it first otherwise it goes screwy. I figured that out when I took my automated screenshots. I used DVDDecrypter to get the data onto my hard drive unencrypted and then you can play on with it.Just thought that might save you some time.I will happily stand in as a voice as well!BTW, I looked at the Menalto gallery, which is an alternative to Coppermine and you should see how unbelievably restrictive it is. The new one won't even load flash videos for security's sake.I tried to up a wmv file but the uploader screwed me. I'll get back to you if I can set it right but tomorrow is X-Bomber the Game programming day.

Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Shane »

Thanks for the recommendation, Crash. I think I had DVDDecrypter installed on my last computer and used it a few times when I wanted a clip or two from a DVD and it wouldn't play ball. I'm in the process of ripping Episode 18 at the moment and will stick both parts on YouTube shortly. I can let you have the whole video file, Vanessa, but it's quite a large file, so we'd have to sort out a way of getting it to you.
Shane

X-Bomber Re-dub?

Post by Shane »

X Bomber - Episode 18 (Part 1):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o_titleX Bomber - Episode 18 (Part 2):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o_titleAnd for a bit of fun, here's a test card for my YouTube channel:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o_title