Star Fleet in the TSW region

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Having recently gotten hold of a few more Look Ins, it seems that one of the regions showing it was a bit behind - TSW, in the South West. I haven't checked to see if it started with the other regions, but there seem to be a few people around who for some reason missed the last episodes and I'm wondering if this might be why - if there was some pause in some of the stations broadcasting it, or if it ended during the holidays or something...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
CondorJoe

Post by CondorJoe »

I not 100% on this so don't quote me on it. TSW were and still are in the nasty habiit of showing programes half way through. Star Fleet was a bit different though. In the late 80's when it got a second running they pulled the last two episodes because they came too the conclusion that it was not part of a weekend kids show like get fresh where they had thier own timeslot intergrated into the shows structure. TSW did this too with Team Knightrider and Millenium. In the central reigon everything went well upto the last episode. Now on the orrigial run of 82 we only got too see up to the see of trees of keelis home planet. Then in the summer of 87 we saw upto that point and got the last but two episodes that would have shown dai-X fight off the imperial fortress. All central got too see was the fall of the battle cruiser and left it at that. Mind you i could be wrong about that as my dad decided i could'nt watch loads of weekend cartoons for the next 3 weeks and i tryed too find it in the listings but too no prevail.(Edited by CondorJoe at 12:25 pm on Dec. 8, 2002)
Shane

Post by Shane »

HTV only showed the first 22 episodes during it's original run. I remember this very well as I watched pretty much every episode religously. I recall seeing the destruction of Makara's carrier and saying to myself, "Cor I've got to watch next weeks episode" Of course the very next Saturday at 10am it wasn't on, and after a few weeks of vainly waiting for it to turn up in the 10am slot, I came to the conclusion that they just weren't going to show the last 2 episodes. They did in the end though, but it wasn't untill much later in 1983. I wonder if the TV programmers made a mistake and thought that Star Fleet had finished with the destruction of Makara's carrier. Or it could just have  been bad planning.On a similar topic I remember watching Alien Nation in a late night slot on HTV a few years back. The season finale ended on a cliffhanger and as the credits rolled an embarassed continuity announcer had to explain that the show had been cancelled in america and that the show would not be returning. A few years later they did make a TV movie to tie up loose ends, but it was funny to hear the announcer squirm. By the way I'm not a huge fan of Alien Nation, but it was something to watch late night. I'm going to like to see how BBC2 explain the fact that Farscape won't be returning after a cliffhanger ending too.Shane.Shane.(Edited by Shane at 4:03 pm on Dec. 8, 2002)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

*Thinks* A lot of cartoon shows that only last one season are just 13 episodes long. Even big shows like the Trek series only manage about 23 episodes I think - so it may well be that someone failed to recognise that because Star Fleet was 24 episodes it'd get muscled out of its slot by a new season's schedule. Of course, one look at a Look In tells all because there were so many ITV regions then and they all had variations in what they were showing and when. It would certainly explain why some people were frustrated. I do seem to remember seeing the final episodes at some point because one of my early newsgroup postings in the mid '90s was a fairly accurate description of the last couple of episodes...
Smartie

Post by Smartie »

I remember being able to watch it twice. On one region on Saturday and on another region on Sunday. This was in about 1983. This was in the south. Nowadays we have Meridian and Carlton but can anyone remember how it was in those days. Was TVS around? Didn't LWT take over at the weekend..... I'm confused now!!!I also remebered it started with the central logo.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

A quick look at a 1983 Look In tells me that the following stations were around then:AngliaBorderCentral (which as you say, taped-off TV Star Fleet episodes show the logo of)GrampianGranadaHTVLWT/ThamesScottishTSWTVSTyne TeesUlsterYorkshireInterestingly, going by this one issue, all the stations were showing it except HTV and LTW/Thames. It seems to have been pretty universally shown, although not necessarily in full or in one complete run...
Smartie

Post by Smartie »

Thanks,  that made me remember that I had written down the times when I was younger in my DangerMouse exercise book!!! .  I've got for the 15.2.83 (or thereabouts) Sat TVS Star Fleet 10:15 crossed out then 9:15 then 10.05 (I was still learning to write!) and on Sunday I've got 9:30 Star Fleet. (Presumably on LWT/Thames) And then for some reason they never repeated the series!Incidentally I definitely remember both these channels had the Central logo at the start of each episode.( after their own of course )I used to have some of the Lookins but must have thrown them out. I even had the Airwolf one where they interview the Airwolf guy!