Star Fleet: TROM Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Chat about creative work on other sites
Crash

Post by Crash »

That is so beautifully drawn. I love the sword. I've thought about putting melee weapons in the game but animating them seems like it might be tricky.I only ever sold them for that charities day thing that schools do every year. Those were awesome. It was like one Friday every year in the summer. I just gave them away otherwise. That was why I was surprised at them not letting me use the computer room over breaktime to run off copies 20-at-a-time 'cos they knew it was for a good cause.I don't think I held any proceeds back to cover the cost of reproduction either.If you copy what's in your browser address bar and paste the address into the message box here, the forum does the rest.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Cheers dudes!I'd love the time and patience to be able to do TROM as a comic, as that was the original intention way back when, but it takes sooooooo long to do.I think I'm going to just illustrate each of the 24 chapters with an image or two, highlighting new characters and technology such as the Dai Z, Delta Z and the Lunar Assault Suit System.Yeah, swords and general melee weapons are hard to convey in Shmups, particularly vertical ones, unless you go down the Gauntlet route and have your character fire sword bullets at people, although it's a bit silly. I have seen a Mazinger Z shmup where your robot sprite waves his sword in a crescent arc in front of him producing a shield/short range attack, so it's doable!

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Shane

Post by Shane »

(Vanessa @ Feb. 13 2011,13:05)QUOTEI know what you mean about Facebook & SF. Doesn't "Makara" have her own page?Oh man! I've just seen the Makara facebook page.   Conclusive proof that people will create a facebook page on any subject.I'm waiting for somebody to setup a Save the Mon Mon facebook group.

Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Yes, quite Now I know I don't exactly employ all of my time to it's fullest, but some people seem to have wayy too much time on their hands!"Save the Mon Mons" ?Now you've gone and done it I can see it all......sigh.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Haha! Gimp - 4 members!I hate FaceSpace - it's a giant swarm of twits.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I've just put up Chapter 4 of TROM in the main TROM thread.The chapters in that thread might experience a tweak here or there when I'm finished.I'd like to eventually compile it in a format similar to Vanessa's with illustrations too. I'll then stick the file up on X-Archive.
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

wow where all cooking on gas this week.maybe we could hold a get together at some point and hash out some ideas that tie all the stories into one huge saga.but which saga would end it all?Vanessa's prequilStar Fleet OASGenesisTromOmegawould these be in the correct sequence?
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Shane

Post by Shane »

That's pretty much the right sequence if you stick Return of the Dai Warriors in after TROM:Rise of the AllianceStar Fleet GenesisThe Revenge of MakaraReturn of the Dai WarriorsOmegaEven Crash's game fits in there somewhere as he's created lots of new tech.I'm incorporating bits from each project to try and tie them together.Elements of Alliance history from Vanessa's storyThe X Fighters and technology from the captured Imperial cruiser on Mars from Genesis.I'm going to incorporate Crash's flying wing attachment from his game in Return of the Dai WarriorsAnd I've even hinted at the alien origins of the Dai X in the second chapter of the story so you can do your thing with OmegaI doubt if I'll do anymore after that other than maybe playing around in my particular part of the saga. I'd really like to make some 3D animatics of certain action scenes from my stories. And maybe even produce some SF style music.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Hey you are most certainly right, we are all in creative moods right now!Firstly, I must say I'm enjoying TROM! It's nice to read a new chapter after hinting occasionally that I wanted to read more. It's a great chapter too Shane. I can see some elements of the other fanfics in it too   I can fathom where you're heading with the corruption of the Z-project and Shin. I like the fact that the Alliance Tech constantly tries to take over any other organism it's attached to. Not unlike the Borg from Star Trek.There is a good teaser get you to read more as well, (always a good thing in a story), as we're not told all of Lamia's message to the Prof. yet...A weak minded minion like Shin could be all too easily corrupted by the evil Alliance methinks... It goes without saying that I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.We seem to have a unique chance to build a complete Star Fleet Chronicle, where all our stories interconnect and build on the previous one. Having read lots of other fanfics, this doesn't seem to happen much.I'm also amazed at how we've independantly picked up on similar themes, as though it was all planned, ...spooky   Imagine an illustrated series of comic-like volumes, something akin to Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, that contained our entire SF epic...Well, I can dream can't I?Sadly, unlike Shane, I'm unable to illustrate my stories, so it's unlikely that The Rise of the Alliance will exist as anything other than words Keep it up, this is all good  
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Cheers. Yeah, it does feel like there is some serious creative energy on here at the moment. I'm going to ride this wave for as long as possible and hopefully finish these tales now, as TROM has been going on and off and on and off and on again for years. It's good to have other people on here such as yourself, Crash, Zordon and Bradster producing stuff too. All the projects start to feed each other and makes it far more interesting dabbling in this universe.I think you're on the right track with how TROM is progressing. I'm trying to pace it at the moment, but rest assured there will be some serious old-school Star Fleet action coming real soon!