Star Fleet: The Revenge of Makara

Chat about creative work on other sites
Shane

Post by Shane »

Yeah, I did a bit of research about the vacuum of space and tried to avoid the inaccurate cliche of people instantly exploding when exposed to outer space without a space suit.   The Great Skull, on the other hand, is of an alien race that is built for space travel. He can function without oxygen and his internal system is able to regulate his body temperature so that he neither freezes or boils in the vacuum of space. His body is also much tougher and more denser than humans, giving him 'man of steel properties', plus he wears a super-tough suit of armour forged by the ancients themselves.Makara has similar abilities, but these are due to her cybernetic implants.Both of their ships are fitted with life supporting energy bubbles which can provide oxygen and create an artificial gravity in the event that they have guests on board.I'm probably not the most realistic or writers (and don't really need to be in the Star Fleet universe), but I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to make certain impossibilities as plausible as possible.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Chapter 17: Duelthe clashing of blades could be clearly heard on board the deck of The Great Skull despite its static position in outer space. The artificial gravitational bubble projected by the ship allowed sound to travel, but not too far. And so each blade hit made an unnatural robotic sound as the clashing sounds of metal on metal rebounded off the walls of the small atmospheric area they fought in.Makara had removed her cloak prior to making her way over to The Great Skull which had allowed her to fight in a completely uninhibited manner. She performed dazzling displays of acrobatics as she looked for an opening to deliver a killing blow on The Great Skull.The fully and armoured and cloaked Great Skull, although not as agile as his Imperial adversary, was more than holding his own though, almost knowing in advance what move Makara was going to make next.'You are good with a blade my dear.' said The Great Skull. 'But I implore you to stand down. I have no time for these kind of games.'Makara was incensed.'Don't mock me Skull!' snarled Makara. 'Do you think this a game?'While parrying Makara's blow, The Great Skull's sword also offered his opinion to the Imperial Emissary.'Sniff, sniff...touched by the ancients you are.' said the sword, 'But you are no match for us! Sniff, sniff...your blade is strong...sniff, sniff...forged in the fiery pits of Gelma. But our armour is impervious to its foul stench!'Makara's sword had survived the destruction of the Imperial Battle cruiser and had been by her side all those long months in her near-death state in the makeshift life pod. It was made from one of the strongest metals in existence, but it would not be strong enough to penetrate The Great Skull's enchanted armour.'Maybe so.' said Makara as The Great Skull proved this by allowing her blade to impact harmlessly on the surface of his breast plate. 'Well, if I can't have your heart.' said Makara with a twisted smile, 'I'll just have to settle for your head!'She let out a scream and swung her sword in the direction of The Great Skull's unprotected area just above his neck guard. Her attack was lightening fast, but The Great Skull's sword deflected the attack in time.The rings on The Great Skull's gauntlet started to chatter to themselves over Makara’s near miss.'I told you we should have made him a full suit of armour. said one ring, He'll lose his head one day, you mark my wordssss!''He insssssisted that his face not be covered. said another ring, 'He has a fondness for hissss beard!''What use will facial hair be to him, without a body?' said another ring.The Skull's eye patch had been quiet. It had sensed something about the woman they were  fighting. She was related to the seven in some way. Her spirit had certainly crossed paths with them at some point in time he felt.'This woman is dangerous and clearly deranged, Great Skull.' said the crystal eye patch, 'Now is not the time for this!'The symbiotic eye patch could control all of the systems on The Great Skull’s ship and with a single thought he decreased the gravitational energy bubble‘s size so that it now only surrounded Makara. He in turn intensifed the gravitational strength of the field which brought Makara to her knees.‘Yield, warrior woman!’ said The Great Skull, impressed by her fighting skills and her beauty, if he was to be honest with himself. ‘I say we call a truce, shake hands and be on our way. What say thee?’Makara grimaced at the crushing gravitational forces that were bearing down on her. They were increasing with each second.‘No truce! No surrender! No mercy!’ said Makara as The Bloody Mary turned and fired a salvo of shots from its laser canons contained in the side bays of the ship. The blasts rocked The Great Skull causing the energy field that surrounded Makara to disappear. Makara had called the attack by the power of her thoughts which were relayed via her own symbiont to The Bloody Mary. With another quick thought she extended the area of her own ship’s gravitational bubble allowing her to perform an astounding back flip back to her own vessel where she landed in the seat of her deck gun.She maniacally laughed as she let loose with a burst of rapid laser-fire from her twin mounted deck guns. The laser blasts found their target and knocked The Great Skull to the deck floor. He was unharmed, but the wind was knocked out of him somewhat, as well as his pride being ever so slightly dented. ‘The time for games have ended!’ said the crystal eye patch, ‘We must leave now! We have a mission to complete!’‘Yes my friend, you are right of course!’ said The Great Skull as he made his way into his ship, rushing over to an unusual looking console.The Great Skull reached to turn a dial that would resume their trip through hyperspace, stopping in this part of space had been a mistake it would seem. Before he could turn that particular dial though, his ship was rocked by another salvo from The Bloody Mary’s laser cannons. He finally turned the dial, but nothing happened. ‘The hyper drive is not working!’ said The Great Skull.‘Something does not seem right.’ said the crystal eye patch, ‘It is as if the fates have decreed that we are not meant to leave this place yet!’On The Bloody Mary, Makara was enjoying herself immensely, sending wave after wave of laser cannon fire over to the now badly damaged Great Skull. Makara leapt from her deck gun and jumped to the front of her ship. She changed the direction of her vessel so that the many pointed spikes and pylons situated at the front of her ship now faced The Great Skull. These started to glow and were building up with lethal energy.‘Goodbye, Great Skull!’ said Makara, ‘It has been a memorable battle!’And with that The Bloody Mary unleashed a massive lightening energy blast which on hitting The Great Skull caused a blinding flash which lasted only a few seconds, but seemed like an eternity.Once the light had dissipated, there was no sign of The Great Skull.‘Imperial Master our foe is vanquished!’ called out Makara in ecstatic delight.Makara’s eye patch’s lips started to move, but the voice that came out was unmistakably that of the Imperial Master.‘You have done well Makara!’ said The Imperial Master, ‘The threat of The Great Skull has ended! Now, as I promised...your reward...’A now familiar warp gate opened in space in front of Makara, depositing her prize and then fading quickly back into space.Makara’s face lit up. ‘How delicious!’Before her stood the giant half corrupted Dai-Z which the Imperial Master had mercilessly taken from Shin Darrow. There was still some of the familiar paint scheme of the Dai series, but half of the mechanoid was now covered in the green/blue hue of the Imperial Alliance.‘Your reward awaits you Makara!’ said The Imperial Master.Makara propelled herself in the direction of the Dai-Z’s cockpit. On reaching it she positioned herself into the pilots seat which was covered in wires and circuitry. Suddenly Makara’s eye patch began to glow which in turn re-started the corrupted systems in the Dai-Z. The Thalian technology onboard resumed its process of assimilation, as wires and circuitry started to infect the rest of the earth-based mecha.Soon the Dai-Z had completed it’s transformation and now possessed the green/blue colour scheme of the Imperial Alliance, with areas picked out in golden coloured circuits and wires. A few further aesthetic changes had been made, one in particular was in hono
ur of this mecha’s new owner.The Dai-Z’s head unit now possessed 6 golden protruding horns, just like Makara’s warrior helmet. ‘Behold! The Delta-Z!’ Exclaimed The Imperial Master.A hatch opened in the Delta-Z’s arm and passed a cylinder to its metallic fist. The Delta-Z raised its arm and a giant sword was quickly etched and solidified into its hand.‘By your divine guidance!’ said the metallic voice of The Delta-Z as it raised its sword above its head.‘Now Makara, you are to go to the Zeta system.’ said the Imperial Master, ‘We will need the help of an old acquaintance of yours when I am reborn. Complete this mission, Makara and I will lead you to the Dai-X!’Overjoyed with her prize, Makara agreed. The duel with The Great Skull had re-invigorated her. She looked forward to her eventual revenge and the centuries of galactic conquests that awaited her after.

Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Woah Shane, you're definitely firing on all 8 at the moment!Terriffic stuff!I really like the info about The Great Skull.I love the idea a sword can sniff It's all very swashbuckling what!That's certainly one episode they'd have had trouble doing with puppets!The Great Skull seems to have an eye for Makara   She is certainly showing some new abilities!I like the way the Great Skull's symbionts argue and mutter amongst themselves, almost like Statler and Waldorf!   The Bloody Mary certainly packs a punch!But the Delta-Z seems far more deadly. Methinks that EDF may be in trouble... You'll have to do a drawing of the Delta-Z.All in all, a cracking read!

Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

(Vanessa @ Apr. 29 2011,18:16)QUOTEI like the way the Great Skull's symbionts argue and mutter amongst themselves, almost like Statler and Waldorf!  Yeah, you've nailed it! That was pretty much my thinking when I was writing it.   The 5 ancients in the rings are kind of sarcastic freeloaders, but they will eventually come into their own at the end of ROTDW.The sword is kind of like a cross-between a military sergeant and a dog and is much more loyal than the 5 rings.And the eye patch is a sort of gentlemanly butler type who takes care of The Great Skull, best that he can.Yip, I've still got a steam punk X-Bomber to sketch, but a Delta-Z is definitely in the pipeline too.Thanks for the kind words.  

Shane

Post by Shane »

Chapter 18: State of PlayA full blown battle of wills had now erupted in the once peaceful ethereal realm. The F01 and the Imperial Master had made their moves on the corporeal battle field, but through great cunning and foresight, The Imperial Master had crept out of the shadows and was now on an equal footing with his former captor.'You will never win!' said the F01, 'The power of good will always triumph!''That is exactly why you will fail, Lamia!' said The Imperial Master, 'The universe is far more than just a playground for good and evil. I intend to return to the corporeal plane and bring back order through savage rule, with you by my side as my memory dissimulated slave!'The Imperial Master had set into motion a contingency plan long ago when he had first been aware of the threat the benevolent ancients had posed and their mission, with the aid of The Great Skull, in helping to fulfil the prophesy of the F01.Arkama and in particular his symbiotic counterpart were now doing the bidding of The Imperial Master on the The Lost Planet of the Ancients. He had encoded a set of instructions in Arkama’s eye patch symbiont. Instructions that would be triggered in the event of The Imperial Master’s death or exile from the corporeal plane. Arkama’s symbiont memories were all fabricated!There was no Lost Planet of the Ancients and it had never been his home!However, there was power to be found on the planet referred to as Gelma 2 by the humans, or rather a threat to be released.The clouded thoughts of Arkama’s symbiont was also the work of the Imperial Master, but now with The Great Skull gone and all his pieces in position it was time to remove this blindfold and allow his pawn to find ‘The Temple of the Ancients‘.‘At last!’ said Arkama’s symbiont on the bridge of the Kathaar battle cruiser, ‘The location of The Temple of the ancients has returned to me. It is far from our current position, and a treacherous journey inside this planet awaits, but the great power of the ancients will soon be in our grasp!’‘Good!’ said Captain Arkama, ‘We are nearly out of scouts.’ Arkama had widened the search for The Temple of the Ancients by sending out termoid scout units, both on land and in the air, but contact had been lost with every unit.This world was treacherous! Evil lurked everywhere, unseen.With the veil lifted by the Imperial Master, this in turn revealed to the F01 the nature of the threat the universe was now in. She now knew of Arkama and his symbiont's mission and where they were now heading.---On board the X-Bomber, an emergency briefing was in full swing. Professor Hagen explained to the small group of crew members and X-Fighter pilots the extent of the mess they were now in.‘Our situation is dire, but our mission must be completed no matter what the cost!’ said Professor Hagen.A note of dissension could be heard in the ranks of the X-Fighter pilots, with one voice in particular more vocal than the others.‘With all due respect, Prof.’ said Emma Steel, ‘Who or what are we actually here for. I’m getting really sick and tired of losing friends and family on the whim of the F01.’The rest of the fighter pilots agreed and backed up their newest comrade. Hercules grinned, he liked Emma’s style, while John Lee spat out his cookie in shock.PPA and Shiro on the other hand were in-sensed.‘Space Pilot Steel!’ said Shiro sternly, taken aback by Emma’s outburst.‘You will address the Professor in the proper manner.’ bleeped one of PPA’s drones, ‘You have clearly spent too much time with Lieutenant Hercules!’The Professor was motionless through all of this bickering with a blank look in his eyes. Shiro and the others soon realised something was up.‘Father!’ shouted Shiro.Professor Hagen snapped out of his trance. Lamia had been in contact with him again.A plan was soon formulated, which included a few hours of sleep for everyone. Nerves were frayed and emotions were high through lack of rest.The fate of Universe would have to wait for a few hours.

Shane

Post by Shane »

Twelve chapters and an epilogue to go folks!   I'm going to try and knock out 2 chapters a week plus the epilogue over the next 6 weeks so TROM should be finally completed in the middle of June.The Star Fleet adventures will continue with Chapter 19: Day of the Termoids

Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Good stuff!Plot threads are beginning to tie together...I wonder what Lamia has told Subaro Hagen?2 Chapters a week is some going!Don't burn out tho We've got ROTDW to do next
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

I should be OK with 2 chapters a week at the moment. I'm enjoying writing the story very much and the home stretch is pretty well planned out so it should be a tad easier to write than the rest.It's like what my old art tutor used to say to me: 'Creative endeavors are 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.' And I think that's very true.Don't worry Vanessa, I've got plenty of juice left in the tank for ROTDW.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Chapter 19: Day of the TermoidsThe X-Fighter wing led by Shiro Hagen in Braincom had just set off on their mission to stop the renegade Imperial Alliance Captain from opening a Pandora's box. Thanks to Lamia's mystical insight which was passed onto Professor Hagen, their enemy and its location was now known to them. Arkama was in command of a Kathaar battle cruiser, but it was now run with a skeleton crew of Termoids as most of his troopers, fighters and land craft had been expended in the search for The Temple of the Ancients. There was now only Arkama and a crew of 40 or so Termoid troopers in a ravaged Imperial battle cruiser to contend with, although the X-Fighter wing itself was far from functioning at full capacity, with most of the fighters damaged in some way.The plan was to intercept Arkama, before he reached The Temple of the Ancients. This would give the Professor, John Lee, Hercules and PPA the time they needed to repair the X-Bomber and make a risky atmospheric quantum jump to their current position.Hercules was none too pleased with this arrangement, though; he wanted to be out there in Mainbody along with the others.'I don't like this!' said Hercules 'There's action-a-plenty waiting on the other side of this rock and I'm stuck here in the engine room with fluttering heaps of scrap metal!''Tisk, charming as always Lieutenant Hercules!' said PPA, 'The Professor's plan is well conceived. If the X-Fighter squadron fail in their mission the X-Bomber must be ready to thwart Captain Arkama's plans'John Lee suddenly emerged from a hatch in the engine room floor wearing a yellow hard hat with his name on the front.'I wonder what is actually inside the temple that he's looking for?' said John Lee.'I don't think even Lamia knows for certain.' said Hercules, 'But if it's got her spooked, then there's no telling what kind of trouble the universe is in store for if Shiro and the rest of them can't stop this Imperial creep.'On the bridge, Professor Hagen was deep in thought. He had just sent his son on a deadly mission, along with his friends and comrades because of his daughter's revelation to him. What he hadn't mentioned to anyone yet was Lamia's mental state when he had conversed with her. She looked like she had been in a war; so frail. Her spirit was weakened and that could only mean that The Imperial Master was growing in power.She had told him that she believed The Imperial Master was plotting something for all of them and it was all linked to The Temple of the Ancients.She also told him about Shin's death. She would not have known at all in her current state had The Imperial Master not gloated about it to her. She could tell he wasn't lying when he told her he had driven him to murder. She desperately wanted to keep this burden from her Father, but the meeting of minds was a two way street and so the Professor learned of Shin's tragic fate and it had broken his heart.The professor's turmoil was suddenly suspended, however, as warning sirens sounded across the ship.'Proximity alert! Proximity alert!' blurted PPA, 'Multiple life forms converging on our position!''Bring up the main view screen, PPA.' said the Professor.At that moment John Lee and Hercules ran onto the bridge and joined the Professor. They all looked at the view screen in shocked astonishment.Hundreds of half termite, half humanoid life forms were closing in on their position from every direction.'Termoids!' said one of PPA's drones, 'Or at least what appears to be the organic precursor to them, judging by life scans.''What's the order Prof?' said Hercules 'These things don't look at all friendly. I say we shoot first and ask questions later!''I concur with Lieutenant Hercules, Professor!' said PPA, 'There is nothing benevolent to be found on this planet, Professor? Professor?!'The Professor snapped out of his trance. He hadn't been in contact with any ethereal beings this time. The burden of command was taking its toll on the brilliant mind of Professor Hagen. In his mind, he believed that he was responsible for Shin's death and now maybe he had just sent his son off to his death too.'Professor Hagen!' called John Lee, but the Professor was unable to reply.Hercules saw the incoming termoids and decided it was time to take charge.'Lee, take the right gun port! said Hercules, quickly putting on an environmental suit, 'PPA! Patch yourself into the other gun ports. That should cover our front and side flank positions.''Where are you going Hercules?' said John Lee.Hercules picked up a laser rifle, 'Outside!' he said.'Not without us you're not!' said several PPA drones that had converged in front of Hercules.Hercules smiled, 'Ok guys, let's go bag us some Thalian creepoids!'A massive fire-fight ensued with dozens of termoids cut to pieces instantly by a web of laser fire originating from X-Bomber's position. Between the gun ports' protection of the front and side flanks and Hercules and the PPA's defence of the rear, they were just about holding their own, but their energy packs wouldn't last forever and there seemed to be a never ending supply of termoids crawling out of the planet's crust.'Lee, how's the front holding up!' said Hercules into his helmet-mic.'We're keeping them at bay, but power's down to half!' said Lee. 'Also, I don't know where the Professor has gotten too!''Make every shot count, Lee!' growled Hercules, despatching a termoid at point blank range with a well aimed laser blast to it's head causing it to explode in a shower of green goo.The rear flank was slowly being over-run by the termite creatures. despite the best efforts of Hercules and his android deputies.An explosion was heard to Hercules’ right as one of PPA’s drones who had just been over-run by termoids self destructed taking a large group of them with him. The other drones followed suit, thinning out the ranks of the marauding termoids.A proud Hercules checked the energy level meter on his laser rifle.‘Damn, out of ammo!’ he said, while crouching on the ground; using the butt of his rifle to crush another of the termoid’s skulls into a gooey mess.‘Never thought it would end like this!’ he said as he watched the next group of termoids coming towards him.Much to his surprise this wave started to explode one by one before it could reach him. the cause of these explosions was a hail of laser fire originating from behind Hercules.Hercules turned his head to get a look at his saviour. Standing before him was an environmental suited Professor Hagen with laser rifle in tow.‘Professor Hagen?!’ said Hercules, ‘where did you learn how to shoot?’‘Star Fleet Academy.’ smiled Professor Hagen, ‘Come on Lieutenant, we need to get back inside the ship.’Professor Hagen helped Hercules to his feet and they ran back to X-Bomber’s entry hatch.They had managed to keep their termoid attackers at bay, but they were still coming thick and fast.Back onboard, Professor Hagen closed his eyes and concentrated.‘Lamia, hear me!’ he said, hoping that the connection with his ethereal daughter was truly a two way street. If ever they needed her power it was now.A glowing sphere appeared above X-Bomber and inside a familiar ghostly figure of a women could be seen.‘Creatures of this planet, I mean you no harm!’ said Lamia ‘Return to the grou
nd below and let this killing cease.’ The termoids stopped in their tracks, hypnotised by both the appearance and the soothing words of the F01. They began to retreat and return to the planet from whence they came.The glowing sphere also disappeared once all trace of the termoids had vanished.On board the X-Bomber the crew breathed a sigh of relief. ‘I still think Lamia should have wiped them out!’ said Hercules.‘You know that’s not her way Hercules.’ said John Lee, ‘Remember the Planet of the Mon Mons?’The Professor could only sit back in his seat and remember the warning Lamia had given him. Helping them again had weakened her further. The next time the F01 intervened in the matters of the corporeal plane would be her last!

Crash

Post by Crash »

Thank you for this! I really enjoyed this one!
Dream big and bold and daring.