Reminiscent Music

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
Rachel

Reminiscent Music

Post by Rachel »

I know I have asked this before, but there may be a few new people here now: which pop songs from the 80s (or any other decade, for that matter) remind you of TV progs you liked? For me, Duran Duran's Is there Something I Should KNow? is the one I associate with Starfleet. And Love's Great Adventure by Ultravox is the one that most poignantly reminds me of Terrahawks.They don't seem to make many records of that good quality these days, do they? And apart from Rugrats, the children's TV programmes aren't as good as they were in my day, either!
AndyThomas

Reminiscent Music

Post by AndyThomas »

Oh, I don't know. What I find, watching some modern shows, is that they're really nods of the head to shows gone by. Stuff like Reboot and even Transformers Beast Wars are very cleverly written. For me the modern Batman animated series, particularly Batman of the Future, really are quality productions. If you can get hold of it, try the Superman/Batman animated movie. It's got some really funny moments - like how the pair of them discover each other's secret identities!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Reminiscent Music

Post by Shane »

Yep Duran Duran definitely, see also: The Thompson Twins, Howard Jones, Yazoo, etc. Terrahawks is a little weirder as I always think of Erasure's "Sometimes" I guess there is some kind of Electro connection there.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Rachel

Reminiscent Music

Post by Rachel »

Do you remember one of Tears for Fears' better songs, Head Over Heels? That ends with the emphatic, hauntingly spoken words, "Time flies!" Back then, I hadn't realised quite how true those words are! Just think, all the new-born babies of 1983 (when I first saw Starfleet), were nearly adult by the time I got the series on video (in 2000). It makes you see just how treacherous the TV companies are, depriving us of programmes like that for so long!
Happosai

Reminiscent Music

Post by Happosai »

If you're talking about American animated shows aimed at kids:Powerpuff girls!!!But not much else (oh...Dexter's Lab!)[Happosai]
Rachel

Reminiscent Music

Post by Rachel »

When you think about it, it's funny that the same pop song probably has totally different associations for fans. For example, I could never listen to Is there Something I Should Know, without being vividly reminded of Starfleet, but I wonder how many people would say the same thing, if I found a Duran Duran website? I ought to try it! From what I have gathered, most people seem to associate their fave songs with things like their first snog! They might think me loopy for equating mine with children's TV programmes. But I don't care, I'm proud of being original!
Shane

Reminiscent Music

Post by Shane »

It's funny when I hear "Is there something I should know?" by Duran Duran now, I always think of my first crush: Emma Bransgrove. It was at the time that Star Fleet was first shown, and Emma looked just like Lamia, (well to my besotted 8 year old eyes she did) Unfortunately it was an unrequited love, ah well. Anyway a couple of years down the line in the last year of Junior School she moved away, by this time she had cropped her hair and no longer looked that much like Lamia, she was always a bit of a tomboy. I did go out with one of her friends though: Sarah Smith, my first love  and I always connect that memory with the Dogtanian and the 3 Muskerhounds (the original) cartoon that was shown at the time (must have been 84-85). I remember wishing that our family had a video recorder, so I could tape every episode, That was a fantastic show! And who could forget the cool theme tune? "One for all and all for one. Muskerhounds are always ready........ er well I liked it anyway. Shane.(Edited by Shane at 5:05 pm on Feb. 16, 2002)(Edited by Shane at 5:08 pm on Feb. 16, 2002)
Shane

Reminiscent Music

Post by Shane »

Same here mate. Saturdays was like: Star Fleet, Shopping, Chips, Wrestling, and Metal Mickey. I asked Andy once if he would consider covering Metal Mickey in his Eighties section, I think he thought I was taking the pi#s. It was a crap show, but somehow it's stuck with me, a bit like the Pink Windmill and Marmalade atkins.I used to badger me mum to get me a star wars figure each week to. I think they were about £1.50 each down are local tesco. It's mad, I went to the very same tesco the other day and it has not changed one bit, it was like entering a time warp.Shane.
Rachel

Reminiscent Music

Post by Rachel »

It's strange that Metal Mickey has been neglected so long, when most ancient British sitcoms get shown all the time! I liked Hayley best.I never actually saw an episode of Dogtanian, but a little girl much younger than me, who lived across the road in the 80s, was really into it. So when her family and mine went to the funfair together, I bought her a Dogtanian balloon.