Calliban

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Rachel

Calliban

Post by Rachel »

Where could Calliban have been hiding throughout the story, prior to the 7th volume?I rarely watch the final volume all the way through, as it's not the same when the great Makara is off the scene, and that eyesore the Imperial Master replaces her as the main villain, is it?
Crash

Calliban

Post by Crash »

Yeah spot on. That and a big space-ball thing. As you say he probably just got promoted for an outstanding job cleaning the toilets or something.I thought it was pretty cool having the Imperial Master at the end who was actually vaguely threatening, as opposed to Makara who was comparatively vaguely comic.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Calliban

Post by Shane »

Gasp! An actual Star Fleet topic on this Star Fleet discussion forum, it's been a long time. I think Caliban is introduced as a replacement for the Carter/Makara/Orion tension onboard the ship. Caliban like Carter gains Makara's favor even when his plans arent always 100% sucsessfull. Poor Orion on the other hand is cut no such slack with Makara. I'm sure Caliban was busy in his shed waiting for the day when he could proove himself to Makara with his fiendish inventions.I quite liked the Imperial Master, but you're right, he is not as easy on the eye as Makara. Although I think the final fight would have been over a lot quicker if the F01 was fighting Makara.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Rachel

Calliban

Post by Rachel »

A woman-to-woman confrontation would have been more appropriate, I think.I never liked Caliban much, his sinister voice and overall appearance gives me the creeps!
FZeroOne

Calliban

Post by FZeroOne »

The "realistic" answer to where Caliban was is probably down to Star Fleets anime-like roots - introducing a new villain or henchman is usually employed to keep a series fresh ( a certain member of this board, newly introduced to the Sailor Moon universe, was rather puzzled when what appeared to be the chief bishonen villain was disposed off quite early on, with a replacement ready and waiting in the wings. I later found out that the theme would be carried on for quite some time... ), though Caliban does appear a touch late in the day.I'd personally lean towards the idea that Caliban was busy designing ever more fiendish devices behind the scenes and eventually decided to get some field experience...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
AndyThomas

Calliban

Post by AndyThomas »

Caliban's appearance ties in with the loss of Carter and a return visit to the Imperial homeworld by Makara's ship, if I remember rightly - my impression has always been that Caliban joined the ship then in order to produce Makara's weapons of last resort.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Calliban

Post by Shane »

Yeah I would imagine weapons like the Death Ball were probably built on the Imperial Planet, and loaded aboard the Cruiser during Makara's visit. It wouldn't surprise me if Caliban was some kind of arms dealing mercenary type, as his overal appearance is much different to the other Imperial officers and council members.Like FZeroOne said it's an anime trend to introduce new and bigger baddies throughout a series, this is just the same with end of level bosses in video games. I was still quite shocked when Makara bought it with 2 episodes to go though, It was most unexpected when waiched for the first time as a 9 year old.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!