Transformers Favourite

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
GenoGear

Transformers Favourite

Post by GenoGear »

If I remember right. They had somting like Fire, Water and wood and they had them heat stickers on them with like a log on it. Fire beats wood and water beats fire and all the crud.
Shane

Transformers Favourite

Post by Shane »

On the Robotech tip. Around 1989 I rented an anime movie entitled Robotech. It didn't feature Valkyries and was actually about a boy who finds a high tech akira style motorcycle which can transform into a battle suit. It seemed to be a self contained movie and I can remember their being a song called "The future is now" in it. Does anyone remember this movie and is it actually linked to the Robotech movies in any way? I know of Mospeda bike armour but this looked different. I'd certainly like to see it again as it was one of the first proper anime movies that I ever watched.Cheers.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
FZeroOne

Transformers Favourite

Post by FZeroOne »

Sorry, Mike, but I suspect the film Shane saw was Robotech: The Movie, which was actually a, um, "adapted" version of a Japanese film called Megazone 23. Needless to say, Megazone 23 had very little to do with Macross other than design look and some staff that worked on it...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
FZeroOne

Transformers Favourite

Post by FZeroOne »

Okay, to answer about three different people at once... GenoGear, I haven't actually seen Mospeada other than a few brief clips of the Robotech version; I'm looking forward to the forthcoming unaltered release!Mike, Macross Plus *is* part of the offical Macross universe; the Macross movie (Do You Remember Love) was incorporated into the timeline by being explained as a movie made in the 2030s about the events of the original series (!). Macross II is so far the only Macross series to be regarded as an "alternative" universe due to differences between the backers and the actual Macross creators.I have seen Macross 7, and I think its a touch under-rated, though it does take some getting used to!Andy, Gundam chronology is a twisting MC Escher designed path through a minefield, but the alternative universe Gundams are Gundam Wing, Gundam X and G-Gundam, possibly the newly announced Gundam SEED, and the live action G-Saviour. It doesn't help that a number of recent Gundam productions - and even magazine stories - have been inserted into the timeline over the years as "canon"...!
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Shane

Transformers Favourite

Post by Shane »

Thanks FZeroOne and Mike.Yep the movie was definitely called Robotech:The Movie. me and my mate would rent this countless times as this and a few other rental titles seemed to be the only anime available at the time. The cover is imprinted in my mind, as is the computer generated singer that features in the movie. Cheers for the heads up about Megazone 23 I've actually seen this in stores before but had no idea about the "Robotech" connection. It would seem the movie I saw was the later part of a 3 part story which I am now very interested in getting hold of. I see you can get all 3 original Japanese movies on DVD for a nice price so I shall give it a go. Thanks again.Shane.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
FZeroOne

Transformers Favourite

Post by FZeroOne »

Quote Quote: from Shane on 4:56 pm on Sep. 9, 2002Thanks FZeroOne and Mike. I see you can get all 3 original Japanese movies on DVD for a nice price so I shall give it a go. Thanks again.Shane.You're welcome - hope you enjoy the films as much as you did back then!