Battle of the Planets

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
NC

Battle of the Planets

Post by NC »

Not sure if its already been mentioned but the complete Battle of the Planets is due this monthhttp://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000090230I won't start another thread but I found out Ulysses - Vol.1 is out on the 24th with Vol 2 coming out in July.http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000089558And with me trying to cut down as well.Nigel

AndyThomas

Battle of the Planets

Post by AndyThomas »

That's well spotted - I'm not surprised Ulysses is out considering they've been showing it on Fox Kids.  Could mean Mask and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors aren't far behind as they're also being actively licensed at the moment.  I'll have to get that added to the Merch page.  And all of BOTP in one set eh?  Any Gatchaman-esque extras I wonder...Addendum: Comparing Sendit (Blackstar as was) prices with Amazon's suggests you'd be £10 better off ordering BOTP at Amazon on preorder. Even with postage and packing free again Sendit's surprisngly uncompetitive with Amazon, and on that large an amount you'll get free P+P from Amazon as well:http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... eetxbom-21

Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
NC

Battle of the Planets

Post by NC »

I've noticed Amazon are beating a lot of people on prices now. Always worth shopping around.Nigel
FZeroOne

Battle of the Planets

Post by FZeroOne »

Hmm... if Ulysssssss-eeeeessssssssssss is coming out, I wonder if Citi-eeeeessssssss of Gold can be far behind...?
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
AndyThomas

Battle of the Planets

Post by AndyThomas »

Problem is, Ulysses and the others are on Fox now and I know they had video releases over here back in the day - there's no history of that with MCOG. Still, keep your fingers crossed...
Jon Talpur

Battle of the Planets

Post by Jon Talpur »

I'm afraid it looks like Cities of Gold will not be coming out. The reason? As Andy mentioned, Ulysses 31 comes on Fox Kids, and the U31 eps have actually been licensed from them. That's the reason Dungeons & Dragons is on its way to DVD too - Fox Kids have copies of the episodes of that series as well, and they've sub-licensed them to Contender Entertainment.The downside as far as Ulysses is concerned is that Fox's copies of the episodes use the shortened US opening and ending credits (the old video tapes had both sets of credits in full) and one of the eps is missing 3 minutes of footage! Still its better than the R1 DVD which only had selected episodes on it!Oh, and on a more BOTP related note, I just discovered a cheap DVD with a few episodes of G-Force (not BOTP) on it. This seems to have slipped through the net as I haven't heard anyone talking about it. So if you're interested, keep your eyes peeled!http://www.sendit.com/video/item/700000 ... ...6003612
AndyThomas

Battle of the Planets

Post by AndyThomas »

That's interesting - so what's the distinction? I remember knowing of G-Force as an alternative name for Battle of the Planets, but how does it actually differ to the BOTP treatment? Incidentally that BOTP box set has a SCARY total run time!
FZeroOne

Battle of the Planets

Post by FZeroOne »

G-Force was a later edited version of the same original source material - Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. I believe it was made for the Turner Network in the US; it didn't have 7-Zark-7 and was less heavily edited but was still not unscathed - two of the male leads suffered the indiginity of being called "Dirk Daring" and "Ace Goodheart"!If you can, its worth tracking down the Region 1 Rhino release of Battle of the Planets, which has the corresponding Gatchaman episodes as extras. Its quite an eye-opener to the differences that were made!
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
FZeroOne

Battle of the Planets

Post by FZeroOne »

Good news for Battle of the Planets fans!ADV US have just announced that they have acquired the rights to Gatchaman - and will be releasing it uncut and unedited. Given the UK divisions sudden release blitz, this could well mean UK fans will finally find out just why Zoltar has long blonde hair and a thing for lipstick...