The Boy from Andromeda

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
AndyThomas

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by AndyThomas »

And I thought Star Fleet was obscure.  As you may or may not know, a lot of the science fiction / fantasy shows of the 80s / 90s showing in the UK were produced by Australia and New Zealand production companies.  Stuff like Ocean Girl, Spellbinder, the Girl from Tomorrow.You know when you get a memory of something in your head and you just have to figure out what it was?  I've had one for years that I accidentally found out was a film called Terrornauts.  This one was something else again.I remembered an alien fleet, a predator-esque creature, a volcano, someone dying, an eruption.  No combination of these as search terms brought anything up.  Frustrating - I could remember the plot but wasn't sure if it was a TV series or film.  But it was a kids show.  So I tried finding other shows and then went on Youtube to see if it would be shown as a similar video.  No joy.Eventually I trawled Wikipedia and found a sort of uber-list of science fiction shows.  And there, lo and behold (and thankfully quite high up alphabetically!) was The Boy from Andromeda.  Stick that in a Google image search and, well, you don't get a hell of a lot.  But you can see Drom, the alien character, who is trying to stop his fleet getting wrecked by an automated weapon system of his race's own design - a New Zealand volcano.There's precious little detail on the series anywhere else, which I find really odd because I have quite clear but fragmented memories of it.  Do any of you remember it?  Putting this page into Google Translate (auto detect the language) may help jog your memory:The Boy from AndromedaYou can imagine that Avatar didn't help when I was originally searching for blue skinned alien!

Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by Crash »

One cartoon that strikes me is a show with 3 male characters with iron-man-like power armour (in different colours).They had a space station, operated by a girl called Krystal, and they fought various aliens.I remember one black creature that fed off electricity. They had it in a cell at first and it broke free after putting its claw into an electrical socket.I think it may have been called the Champions but I can't find info on it.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by Shane »

I think the show you speak of is The Centurions, and pretty badass it was too!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkiqbsaX ... re=related
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Vanessa

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by Vanessa »

Thinking back, I do have a very vague recollection of a childrens show I saw in the 80's and I've never been able to find anything at all about it since. It was a puppet show, (although not Sci-Fi, sorry) and there were various characters played by animals, a bit like Wind in the Willows. There was a racing car, and a big race during the show. I think the main characters may have lived on the top of a hill or something... Can't for the life of me remember much more. Any ideas anyone? It can't be just me that remembers this...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
AndyThomas

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by AndyThomas »

(Crash Override @ Mar. 13 2012,20:53)QUOTEOne cartoon that strikes me is a show with 3 male characters with iron-man-like power armour (in different colours).They had a space station, operated by a girl called Krystal, and they fought various aliens.I remember one black creature that fed off electricity. They had it in a cell at first and it broke free after putting its claw into an electrical socket.I think it may have been called the Champions but I can't find info on it.Centurions, no, never heard of them. Oh wait, hang on, didn't I...?!Centurions at SFXB - closer than you might have thought!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by Shane »

I only found out recently that there were 2 additional members of the team featured in later episodes. Their weapon systems were a bit pants though judging by a youtube compilation clip.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by Crash »

I had seen that page years ago and hadn't made the connection.Thanks guysDownload in progress ... :http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/256555781/centurions
Dream big and bold and daring.
felice

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by felice »

I vaguely recall being aware of Boy From Andromeda, but didn't watch it. Maybe it will get a DVD release eventually? Earlier NZ SF TV Under the Mountain (far superior to the recent movie version!) and Children of the Dog Star have been released relatively recently.
Vanessa

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by Vanessa »

Children of the Dog Star, I do remember that one. I might have been a little old for it at the time, but it does ring a bell...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
FZeroOne

The Boy from Andromeda

Post by FZeroOne »

(Vanessa @ Mar. 14 2012,00:56)QUOTEThinking back, I do have a very vague recollection of a childrens show I saw in the 80's and I've never been able to find anything at all about it since. It was a puppet show, (although not Sci-Fi, sorry) and there were various characters played by animals, a bit like Wind in the Willows. There was a racing car, and a big race during the show. I think the main characters may have lived on the top of a hill or something... Can't for the life of me remember much more. Any ideas anyone? It can't be just me that remembers this... Vanessa, this is a very long shot, but the show you're thinking of wasn't "Chorlton and the Wheelies"...?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UYMlV7kSZUI used to watch "Centurions". I was an anime snob even then, I sort of liked it but didn't think the animation was as good as "Battle of the Planets"...!
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.